too many interests??

Robhuntandfish

A buddy of mine was saying maybe he has too many interests in the outdoors. He knows someone that fishes the finger lakes and specializes in catching trout there and is great at it.  Always gets them , nice expensive boat etc.  And my buddy is into fishing for trout, walleye, perch, has two boats (one to get into ponds), likes to turkey hunt, deer hunt, squirrel hunt etc.  But seems to spread himself too thin and thought how great it would be to focus and be real good at one of these.  Cause there is also a lot of trial and error with being so diverse.   So where do you fall???   I am in that same category and like to dabble in different things and try new ones. But like he said if he gathered the expense and time of all his spread out gear etc, he could be the expert trout fisherman or grand slam turkey guy.......... same thing would get boring to me I would think.   

I guess you can toss me in the "jack of all trades and master of none" category. I enjoy being able to take part in many different seasons. I don't feel I have to be at the top of any specific one. I get the joy out of participating and should health or other reasons pull me out of one I have others to take part in. I will say that my fishing has taken a back seat in the last 20 years while my daughter grew up. I felt I needed time with her and about the only time I fish now is with her. 

• Like 1

So what he saying is...he's not so much in it for the relaxation and fun ,but as a competitor to himself and others?...I would rather go enjoy many things learning along the way and perhaps enjoying the occasional once in a life time moment...Then  to try to go after one of those in the same venue each time I go out...Besides as you say he already has the invested money in gear already big toys don't make a better hunter or fisherman...they just make catching the game easier...sometimes.

• Like 1

he was just weighing the days of being skunked to a lot of good days catching trout.  He def enjoys his time out the most successful or not but also would enjoy catching more fish some days.  It was mostly philosophical he isnt really competitive at all.  Older guy that was thinking must be nice to catch those trout all the time......and be real good at that.  Hes the guy that will turkey hunt from sunup to noon just to be out there. 

6 minutes ago, growalot said:

So what he saying is...he's not so much in it for the relaxation and fun ,but as a competitor to himself and others?...I would rather go enjoy many things learning along the way and perhaps enjoying the occasional once in a life time moment...Then  to try to go after one of those in the same venue each time I go out...Besides as you say he already has the invested money in gear already big toys don't make a better hunter or fisherman...they just make catching the game easier...sometimes.

• Like 1

I have found that I have had to drop more than a few activities over the years simply because of time constraints. For example, I do not engage in small game hunting like I used to because of conflicts with deer season. I no longer can take time out of all the activities to run my trapline anymore. Every year it seems like I say I need to get out fishing more, but it doesn't happen. Ice fishing, no.... not anymore. Some of the camping ventures that we used to do every year have fallen by the wayside. Hiking?.....Not like we used to. No smelting, no spearing like back when I was younger. Non local hunting trips? ..... probably won't happen anymore. Archery tournament shooting ..... not anymore.

And by the way, for those that think being retired leaves you all this excess time on your hands, don't you believe it. I have no excess time, and am busier than I ever was while I was working. So yes, I agree with him. I have way more interests than I will ever have time or energy to do anymore. I'll bet I'm not alone in that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

I have found that I have had to drop more than a few activities over the years simply because of time constraints. For example, I do not engage in small game hunting like I used to because of conflicts with deer season. I no longer can take time out of all the activities to run my trapline anymore. Every year it seems like I say I need to get out fishing more, but it doesn't happen. Ice fishing, no.... not anymore. Some of the camping ventures that we used to do every year have fallen by the wayside. Hiking?.....Not like we used to. No smelting, no spearing like back when I was younger. Non local hunting trips? ..... probably won't happen anymore. Archery tournament shooting ..... not anymore.

And by the way, for those that think being retired leaves you all this excess time on your hands, don't you believe it. I have no excess time, and am busier than I ever was while I was working. So yes, I agree with him. I have way more interests than I will ever have time or energy to do anymore. I'll bet I'm not alone in that.

you sound just like him. lol  He is also retired and tries to fit in a lot of things and hasnt only been out in his new boat twice this year.   I do the same thing, would like to do more small game but I concentrate so much on deer season.  Also in the summer used to go somewhere bass fishing every weekend. Used to fish the St. Lawrence.  Now its pretty much Oneida Lake where I live and nothing else.  But I know guys that all they do is walleye fish and catch them all the time, and guys that just flyfish and are great at it, etc.......nope I hunt everything and fish for everything.   lol.  And still want to get into duck and goose hunting and am trying to get serious on a NY bear!  add it to the list. 

I think what really changed my priority list was the taking up of bow hunting and how many tags for deer I get where I live now. The bow hunting takes more practice and there are always tags left so I hunt the entire deer season. I remember when October and early November was small game and Duck season. Deer season was more abbreviated  becasue there were so many fewer tags. I didn't ML hunt so that freed up a weekend in October and one in December. After Deer was small game again until the ice got safe for ice fishing. There really weren't any turkeys around so That time was fishing from April through the summer. We never really use to "scout' for deer so July through September was free time. Toss in some fly fishing on the West Canada to get through the summer. It appears that the deer hunting changes is what has squeezed my schedule and elbowed other things out. 

• Like 1

Mine are spread out pretty good, spring is turkey, summer is riding the atv's, shooting the revolvers as much as I can and going to club 3-d shoots, fall is  deer of course. Then the winter months are reloading all my ammo for the next summer of shooting. The biggest thing that has put a damper on my summer shooting this year is my diy kitchen remodel...

Edited by rob-c

6 minutes ago, rob-c said:

Mine are spread out pretty good, spring is turkey, summer is riding the atv's, shooting the revolvers as much as I can and going to club 3-d shoots, fall is  deer of course. Then the winter months are reloading all my ammo for the next summer of shooting. The biggest thing that has put a damper on my summer shooting this year is my diy kitchen remodel...

We call that "death by honey do"

I'm interested in duck hunting deer hunting goose hunting all types of fishing other than fly skeet trap shooting , boobs nice boobs nice butts and lots of other stuff but those take the top spots in no particular order I'm not a master with any but like to pretend I am. 

Edited by BigVal

25 minutes ago, BigVal said:

I'm interested in duck hunting deer hunting goose hunting all types of fishing other than fly skeet trap shooting , boobs nice boobs nice butts and lots of other stuff but those take the top spots in no particular order I'm not a master with any but like to pretend I am. 

I would certainly put that list in a different order...lol

• Like 1

In my lifetime I have at least dabbled in just about everything when it comes to the outdoor sports many times just to get some insight, perspective and to experience everything I could. I enjoyed doing just about everything I tried but there is not enough time in the seasons and days to do everything there is all the time.  The activities that I found especially interesting and fun for me, and some are even to the point of obsession, they are the ones I make time for and pretty much stick with on a continuous basis down through the years. That being said I still revisit some of the other fun stuff time to time for old times sake and a little change of pace.

Al

• Like 1

I am not great in any one real hobby, but have a lot and prefer to enjoy them rather than become so dedicated that they become work or money pits. Hunting is probably the closest to the top.

I work on cars and bikes. I can't tune an engine but I can tear one down and put it back together. Just about any mechanical work is within my skill set sans welding and custom work.

I love to hunt deer, turkey, pheasants, fish and am going for bear. But I'm not taking trips out west or to Africa. 

I like to golf, but only a few times a year and have accepted that I will never be great at it.

I still play casual videogames but just for fun and am not anywhere "good" at it anymore or do I have the time to be. 

I like craft beer, but I don't really know sh!t compared to some guys.

I don't get to church as much as I'd like and I don't do bible studies. But I'm a man of faith.

I work out 4 times a week, but really just enough to stay in shape and healthy and not enough to become shredded. 

I own some long guns and some pistols, but I don't reload or own anything exotic or anything that doesn't serve a purpose. I get to the range a lot less than i should.

I can build computers but only do so once every 5 years or so and feel like i have to relearn all the new tech that's out.

lately I just focus on doing well at my job, being a good father and a good husband. It's hard 

Edited by Belo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Belo said:

being a good father and a good husband. It's hard 

Those by themselves are a FULL time interests/responsibility. Hunting was created to help us take our minds off  those challenges and to hope us cope with the upcoming challenges that will arise.

Keep up the good work and try to get a deer:biggrin:

• Like 2

Jack of all trades master of none by nature but fatherhood has focused me into four seasons: Summer Golf, Fall Whitetail Hunt, Winter Ski, Spring Fish.

Looking forward to using my 2 yr old Lowe 17.5 FS a lot more in the summer as my kids get a bit older.  It pretty much sits on lift all summer so far.

IMG_0104.PNG

• Like 1

I have so many hobby some years I don't even get to do a few of them. From dirtbikes motorcycles fishing hunting trapping seems like my only time to relax is Feb 15 (trapping close) thru April 1st (fishing opener)....but then again I wouldn't change it for the world. October 15th my boat will be going in for winterization and hunting season will start till Feb when boat will start getting the attn till April. Luckily I ride to work a bit so scratches that itch

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I only have one primary interest and that is Jesus Christ.   My family, job, and hobbies mostly just provide outlets to absorb the blessings of His grace.   It sure is a lot easier that way, and there is always plenty of time for the stuff that really matters.     

On 9/6/2017 at 5:11 PM, wolc123 said:

I only have one primary interest and that is Jesus Christ.   My family, job, and hobbies mostly just provide outlets to absorb the blessings of His grace.   It sure is a lot easier that way, and there is always plenty of time for the stuff that really matters.     

we know. we get it.

• Like 3