Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

8 minutes ago, biggamefish said:

Quiet here watched a grouse cruise through no deer.

The last few nights I have heard the grouse drumming behind the house. I haven't heard them in a few months, I was starting to think the local fisher or fox got them. The wife hates them because it wakes her up at night I love it knowing we have them around.

Question for everyone. The last 400acres of corn within 5 miles are getting finished being picked today they said around noon. I can Hunt all the fields as well as the surrounding land. Do I get in the corner of the hedge row where I can cover 4 fields or do I hunt the green fields around them? Daylight sightings have been down since that has been the last of he corn so I'm assuming there was a bunch of deer in it. There isn't much cover around close by other than an I hunt-able ravine that is too thick to see your nose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Question for everyone. The last 400acres of corn within 5 miles are getting finished being picked today they said around noon. I can Hunt all the fields as well as the surrounding land. Do I get in the corner of the hedge row where I can cover 4 fields or do I hunt the green fields around them? Daylight sightings have been down since that has been the last of he corn so I'm assuming there was a bunch of deer in it. There isn't much cover around close by other than an I hunt-able ravine that is too thick to see your nose.

6 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Only a few seasons in, but I'll take a shot at strategy here.

Are there any woodlots / strips of woods that will act as travel corridors?  Those will likely be used before they head out into the open.

Only a few seasons in, but I'll take a shot at strategy here.

Are there any woodlots / strips of woods that will act as travel corridors?  Those will likely be used before they head out into the open.

Just hedgerows and a 10acre ravine that's too thick to hunt.

There is a small chunk of open hardwoods but deer don't bed in it because it's very open.

2 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Just hedgerows and a 10acre ravine that's too thick to hunt.

Do you think they bed in the ravine?  If so, maybe an ambush spot on an exit trail, if the wind is favorable...  Might be worth considering if the ravine butts up to the hedgerows - they might be running the hedgerow line once out of the ravine.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Perhaps you could try in between that thick ravine and the picked corn field? Those big guys will most likely come from the thick stuff and stage in between before entering the picked corn. 

• Like 1

I love this section,but corn has really shut down it's activity. Buck use to cruise this ALL of the time. Not now I fear. Doe no longer here with field empty. Lots of squirrel  though ..It is So COLD! But beautiful out.

1509539021859-1997141198.jpg

15095390746811913692387.jpg

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

If that ravine feeds into those fields, i would setup on a high point that leads into that field. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Get on the opposite side they are cutting, as they cut any deer in the field they will move over. The last few rows they cut will push those deer into the nearby woods. I would sit in the corner like you mentioned that is if you think deer will be traveling that. RIght now I would be near the ravine and corn if possible.

Edited by chas0218