Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

One time I had a buck come in just as I was ready to climb down. I clipped on my release and almost drew on him a couple different times but never did get a shot. After he was gone I realized my haul line was clipped onto my top cam! That would have been a disaster 
I can't even image the carnage of letting the arrow fly with the haul line clipped to your top cam....may have even jolted you out of the tree.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

50 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

One time I had a buck come in just as I was ready to climb down. I clipped on my release and almost drew on him a couple different times but never did get a shot. After he was gone I realized my haul line was clipped onto my top cam! That would have been a disaster 

Exactly the reason I prefer hunting with the stick bow.  No real danger shooting one with tow line attached.  lol

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Belo said:

well hung up the .30-06 last night. Had a good hunt Sunday but could not bring myself to shoot a smaller doe and then a bb. Had sort of a bummer Friday night that i'm not quite sure i'm prepared to talk about yet. Looking forward to a few sits this weekend with the smoke pole in hopes of some venison. It appears my 3 deer goal may fall short, but it aint over yet. 

wondering how this weather will factor in.

This entire late season is going to be brutal here, I have no idea where to focus. My local spot has a cut corn field above it that I cant hunt and the deer seem to be bedding just off of it. My farther spots dont have a true food source on them. Ill sit somewhere and freeze

21 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

I can't even image the carnage of letting the arrow fly with the haul line clipped to your top cam....may have even jolted you out of the tree.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

lol exactly

Exactly the reason I prefer hunting with the stick bow.  No real danger shooting one with tow line attached.  lol

Ive been watching the Leatherwood Outdoors Pa vids, the one guy has a couple great recurve hunts

• Like 1

What a way to end my FINAL gun hunting season. A nice x-mas snow falling. Surprised to see four inches on the ground when I got home but wasn't surprised to see three deer jump in front of the truck on the way home.
No tracks in the woods going in or coming out and did not hear a shot fired all afternoon. First season I have not even seen a single deer.

today.thumb.jpg.2f971101283a6164c4e64e6ad7963925.jpg
today1.thumb.jpg.5e08b285465167c44759827cc7ce308d.jpg
today2.thumb.jpg.e54595af6d2595485ecd9fa8d88cd3f7.jpg
Why is it your final gun season?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ya most likely there. Usually hunt there a couple times a year but haven’t been there once yet this year. There’s a couple spots I always like to stop and walk around in there

We still hunted all day. Came up on two fresh tracks worth following, and... property lines stopped those tracks. Ha.

Walked a pair of parcels I was totally unfamiliar with, but got some scouting in for a funnel new to me, an apple tree tucked away, and a good convergence of trails. Maybe something better to post next year...

Hope you were one of those shots we heard.

I'm all thumbs when using Tapatalk

Planning out a bow hunt as I write. The winter gear is out, and now to choose a spot to sit. Two years straight, no apples. WNW wind complicating the decision.

I wish my apple tree had produced this year, but it didn't, so there's no point in trying that as a food source. It's going to be another difficult late season on my little slice of 4L.

We still hunted all day. Came up on two fresh tracks worth following, and... property lines stopped those tracks. Ha.

Walked a pair of parcels I was totally unfamiliar with, but got some scouting in for a funnel new to me, an apple tree tucked away, and a good convergence of trails. Maybe something better to post next year...

Hope you were one of those shots we heard.

Sounds like a good day in the woods. I never made it over there. Wife had other plans for me. I ended up getting out in my blind for the last 2 hours. Had 12 does and fawns come out just before dark. I can’t hunt today but tomorrow afternoon one of those does is in trouble
  • Like 2

I left work early for a quick sit. I have some standing corn in front of me that I'm hoping will draw in some deer tonight before the storm. It's my first sit in this stand this year. Before next season I need to do some serious lane trimming.

IMG_20171211_150340061.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The Jerkman said:

Why is it your final gun season?

Steuben Jerry

What a way to end my FINAL gun hunting season.

Uh-oh Steve, dare I ask why you're calling it your final gun season?

While the last few “gun” seasons have not been that great this year was the worst.  With the gun season being 23 days long I hunted 18 of those days. I spent just under 59 hrs. hunting and did not see a single deer.

In contrast I bow hunted 23 days for just under 52 hrs. and saw a total of 75 deer. Twenty-three bucks (I am sure a couple were ones I saw more than once) twenty-eight doe, and twenty-four I could not tell.

Bow hunting for me has always been a passion and gun hunting has pretty much been ho hum. The primary reason I have kept gun hunting was to provide companionship and assistance for my father. Since he has little or no interest anymore my interest has dwindled considerably. In years past I would make a harvest with the bow and spend gun season pretty much trophy hunting. That kept me going but it didn’t take long to figure out that even if I shot one it would more than likely have nothing to do with my skill as a hunter. It could be just as simple matter of another hunter spooked it out of his area and into mine.

In the three wmu’s I hunt the pattern is pretty much the same. Once gun season opens they go strictly nocturnal and you can go a long time without seeing one in the daytime. Also I have other interests like trapping and predator hunting which gun season interferes with.

To me I would much rather put my efforts into getting one with the bow and spend the gun season doing something more productive and enjoyable. If I don’t have one by gun season…OH WELL. Can’t be worse than going bow and gun season and not getting one.

The other thing that turns me off about gun is sitting in the woods waiting for it to get light and shots are heard well before legal shooting; or heading out of the woods after sunset and hearing shots WELL after the legal time. Also sitting in the woods hearing the ones that shoot 4-5 times and in some cases reloading and shooting some more. You know that deer has either been missed or is wounded and may or may not be recovered. It probably happens during bow also but you can’t hear it.:) I am also a little bit tired of picking up water bottles, food wrappers, beer cans etc. while doing some scouting or still hunting. Happens during bow to but not near as much.

I could go on and on but I just wanted to give an answer that you will hopefully understand. I get no satisfaction from shooting one with a gun unless it is a trophy. It’s like bang, flop, gut, and drag. You do the same with bow but I consider any deer shot with a bow a trophy. I may still go out from time to time during gun but it is not my passion.

You asked    :wink:     That is it in a nut shell

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 10

I so should have called off today. Looking like 1.5 to 2 feet of snow over the next 2 days. Something i saw about 40 mph gusts Wednesday. Ima go from zero snow to 3 feet in a heartbeat like last year. All i wanted was 4 - 6 inches for a few days............

Hoping for a morning sit tomorrow but I got a feeling the weather is going to be crap and me driving my daughter to college instead of her driving since her bus will most likely be cancelled.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, moog5050 said:

I've dropped mine once out of a tree. Checked it out pulled it back and still good as new!  Nothing on them to worry about.

on tape delay . . . . spend 6 hours in the stand in NW Niagara county earlier today. Saw nothing. Had some snow flurries that were starting to stick. We are supposed to get our first real snowstorm tonight and tomorrow, 3-5 inches. I am hopeful that will help bring the deer out, and help me see them in the fields, later this week.