Got away with it

Taylormike

I shot a doe tonight at 6.  As the arrow hit her, my stomach dropped, way too far back.  She was quartering away but I can't believe she trotted off 40 yards and then literally fell over.  Must have caught an artery, any thoughts?  In the pic that's the exit so in truth the entrance would be a little farther back.

20171003_184713.jpg

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Iluvracks1359 said:

I mean, a gut shot will almost always kill a deer, of course it would take longer than a vital hit, that is DEF a gut shot tho, im thinking she maybe just went into shock, it can happen. Lucky you didn't have to follow her for days, you woulda had a good blood trail any ways

It was not gut shot, stomach was intact.  When I opened her unbelievable blood poured out.  Had to be severed liver/artery.

Definitely looks like just behind the lungs and before the stomach and intestines and right into the liver. Sounds like it bled like crazy internally and dropped right after your shot.

I am glad you recovered her in short time. Thanks for sharing.... 

• Like 1

It's not femoral or aorta (haha) I can promise you that... Sometimes if you tear a big enough hole in the diaphragm the lungs cannot expand due to no pressure. That's my guess, she suffocated, the blood inside is obviously from whatever was damaged (most likely liver) and that aided in a quick death. But mostly I'd say luck helped you out big time!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 2