These foam targets' vitals are wrong, right?

Core

I feel led astray by some of the diagrams online showing where the lungs exist on deer. My belief is these foam targets are largely incorrect as well. The last deer I hit with an arrow (I had an illuminated nock so I am very confident of where I hit) was comfortably within--but to the rear section--of where these foam targets consider to be an acceptable hit (it wasn't). In these foam  pics I have placed the arrow within an inch or so of where I now believe optimal placement is for double-lung. I think both foam targets are wrong to hint that the lungs go that far back.

Vitals1.thumb.jpg.5ce5d5c0eab8c37b45e96627579cc1d3.jpg

Vitals2.thumb.jpg.942ebfd1c47297a2264501434d99a379.jpg

In this diagram "Make the shot count", they have optimal shot placement well behind the  vertical line made at the back of the front legs and the lungs go half the way back to the rear!

Vitalswrong.jpg.80efc0012d9363ed95656a0e61154831.jpg

In this one they are very far forward.

Vitalsright.jpg.1a4feb8f9c5e5ecfcff958cbe82286c6.jpg

What do you guys think? Because if these foam targets are correct somebody forgot to tell the last deer I hit that its lungs are in the wrong location :(

I think it is a great idea to have these topics to refresh our memory and show those that may not be certain. I don't think the targets are off by that much. The heart is not close but the overall vital area isn't bad. The problem I have with the foam targets is it gets hunters thinking of the surface and NOT what is in the center. Start adding vertical angles for elevated treestands or quartering angles and that surface diagram on a foam target doesn't mean squat. 

whitetail.jpg.77e02199d6940264154f2e80583bf54b.jpg

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 2

I aim about 2-3" lower than where the bullseye is located on that deer on a perfect broadside shot.  With the recurve I do tend to aim a bit higher than a perfect heart shot to allow some room for error.  Obviously as angles change its more complicated but generally envision a shot to the far shoulder on quartering away and will aim higher if its a steep downward shot expecting a low exit.

7 minutes ago, Core said:

Field and stream is selling this. It has the heart dead center in the deer's torso. This is by far the worst target I have seen.

vitals3.thumb.jpg.c52aecd3a96285b53735b19ef26ff925.jpg

the glendel have a 2 sided inserts . one side indicates where you should make a heart shot from and elevated stand at 20yrds and the other is strait on. This isnt where the vitals are located but where you should aim from that position.

Edited by brownclown
grammer
  • Like 2

On 10/4/2017 at 3:34 PM, nybuckboy said:

I think the heart's are too high on the foam targets... yes I agree they are not accurate.

Way to high to center punch it.

On 10/4/2017 at 3:29 PM, Core said:

I feel led astray by some of the diagrams online showing where the lungs exist on deer. My belief is these foam targets are largely incorrect as well. The last deer I hit with an arrow (I had an illuminated nock so I am very confident of where I hit) was comfortably within--but to the rear section--of where these foam targets consider to be an acceptable hit (it wasn't). In these foam  pics I have placed the arrow within an inch or so of where I now believe optimal placement is for double-lung. I think both foam targets are wrong to hint that the lungs go that far back.

Vitals1.thumb.jpg.5ce5d5c0eab8c37b45e96627579cc1d3.jpg

Vitals2.thumb.jpg.942ebfd1c47297a2264501434d99a379.jpg

In this diagram "Make the shot count", they have optimal shot placement well behind the  vertical line made at the back of the front legs and the lungs go half the way back to the rear!

Vitalswrong.jpg.80efc0012d9363ed95656a0e61154831.jpg

In this one they are very far forward.

Vitalsright.jpg.1a4feb8f9c5e5ecfcff958cbe82286c6.jpg

What do you guys think? Because if these foam targets are correct somebody forgot to tell the last deer I hit that its lungs are in the wrong location :(

Straight up the back of the front leg lower 1/3 of the cavity is the sweet spot. Where I aim all depends on where the deer is in reference to me and my stand. I visualize where the arrow will exit and make sure it passes through the vitals in that manner.

These pictures are less than tasteful but I shot the deer just in front of the rear left hip (as you facing the deer from the rear) and exited out behind the front right shoulder. I hit the artery running down the back,the liver and right lung. Deer went 30 yards and piled. The wounds were not touched by any knife just the hid stripped back to see the effect of the broadhead. This was with my little 1" cutting 75 gr. head.

102_1228.JPG

102_1227.JPG

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Core said:

Field and stream is selling this. It has the heart dead center in the deer's torso. This is by far the worst target I have seen.

looks like the insert is on the wrong side.  turn it 180 degrees to the other side and it would be a lot closer. The liver should be facing the rear of deer.   Its just on the wrong side 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I always try to aim for just behind the shoulder on the ground.  Put it in that spot and you will have a dead deer.  Good way to look at it is to think of a point at the top back part of the heart.  (Center front part of deer)  If you can hit that spot from any angle you will kill that deer.  This guy explains it pretty good. 

I would take that first (8 point) shot over the "10" shot any day for me that is a perfect shot.  The 10 spot allows more room for error if your aim is not that good. 

Edited by NFA-ADK
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

looks like the insert is on the wrong side.  turn it 180 degrees to the other side and it would be a lot closer. The liver should be facing the rear of deer.   Its just on the wrong side 

No explanation. Sometimes I'm just damn stupid. That makes a lot more sense ;)

On 10/6/2017 at 10:44 AM, Core said:

It sin't set too far back. the dope that assembled the thing put the square replaceable insert in backwards.  If you turn it around it may be a bit high but is in line correctly. back edge of leg and half way up the deer (top of heart and both lungs).