Repercussions of "passing" deer.

wolc123

Still very sad BUT....

I feel either speed or lack of knowledge being the major factor causing a loss of control AND other than side by sides, every ATV I’ve owned or looked at say “no passengers.”

Im very much not trying to start an argument but I just can’t rationalize blaming a deer that a hunter let pass. 

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sucks that the tragedy happen but I'm not really sure I follow the logic. Would you be in favor of annihilating the whole deer species to the point of extinction? Because that to me kinda seems to be the point you're making. Again, very sad I just don't agree with what you're saying.

• Like 1

I haven't read this whole thread, and I was trying not to get dragged into this wormhole.

The loss of any human in accident is a tragedy.

Placing the blame on a deer is ridiculous!

Being the father of a 10yr old daughter that rides atv's daily hearing of this hits home.

My sincerest condolences goes out to the family and friends!

Here are my questions, you said she was a freshman likely under 16yrs old. Atv's over 90cc are recommended for kids under 16, what size was the quad? Was she wearing a helmet? Was there adult supervision?

The blame game could go on forever. Wolc you have taken a cnn style of blaming an object instead of the underlying facts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I haven't read this whole thread, and I was trying not to get dragged into this wormhole.

The loss of any human in accident is a tragedy.

Placing the blame on a deer is ridiculous!

Being the father of a 10yr old daughter that rides atv's daily hearing of this hits home.

My sincerest condolences goes out to the family and friends!

Here are my questions, you said she was a freshman likely under 16yrs old. Atv's over 90cc are recommended for kids under 16, what size was the quad? Was she wearing a helmet? Was there adult supervision?

The blame game could go on forever. Wolc you have taken a cnn style of blaming an object instead of the underlying facts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hes not blaming the deer, hes blaming those of us that pass young bucks.

In reality, this is just a sick, twisted way for him to justify shooting anything that walks by. He needs to put the crack pipe down.

• Like 5

WNY..... you would really blow your lid if you looked at the news article and then referenced what he said in his original post.

Either he just posted at half cock or has no idea what he’s talking about........ or as you said, just hit the glass. 

• Like 1

OK I am one that doesn't pass up on much & I do get a lot of slack for it but I always say it is my choice when you pay for my tags then you can tell me what to shoot & that goes both ways So I have to say Dude you are out there!

there is no hunter to blame for that accident even if there was a deer involved

tinfoil_hat.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spook said:

WNY..... you would really blow your lid if you looked at the news article and then referenced what he said in his original post.

Either he just posted at half cock or has no idea what he’s talking about........ or as you said, just hit the glass. 

Honestly, it doesnt even surprise me coming from him.

I don't pass on deer I consider large enough to bother butchering/eating, if I have a tag for them. Reasons:

1) I hunt primarily for the thrill of the hunt and also the meat. I don't particularly care about racks. I do have skull caps of the bucks I've taken, but I'm not (yet?) into trophy hunting

2) If I pass on a buck the odds of me getting a shot at it later at .00001% (maybe not that low). Yeah yeah "if everyone thought that way", except what I do doesn't impact the group nor the other way around. Tragedy of the commons phenomenon rewards those who act selfishly as long as the group at large doesn't; short of legal mandate, encouraging individuals who are acting in their own best interest but supposedly in the interest of the group results in little gain, whether it's deer hunting or any other resource consumption.

As tragic as the story is there is no correlation between passing any deer and the fact that someone was killed in a car-deer accident. If she had hit a huge buck and been killed would you only hunt huge bucks? This kind of illogical thinking is why it's hard to get people to understand the things that DO make sense.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

She was the passenger, the boy driving is ok. He lost control and rolled over

If this is true and this was not a 2 up atv (not that it would have prevented this ) then its on the parents for allowing this to happen.sounds to me this has everything to do with young and dumb and not deer. Terrible tragedy no doubt, but we were all young and we all have THOSE stories of how we made it out of certain situations but unfortunately this girl did not. Really don’t see how shooting more deer would have prevented this. I hate to say this but this is a typical  unrealistic liberal reaction to a tragedy..

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, rob-c said:

If this is true and this was not a 2 up atv (not that it would have prevented this ) then its on the parents for allowing this to happen.sounds to me this has everything to do with young and dumb and not deer. Terrible tragedy no doubt, but we were all young and we all have THOSE stories of how we made it out of a certain situations but unfortunately this girl did not. Really don’t see how shooting more deer would have prevented this. I hate to say this but this is a typical  unrealistic liberal reaction to a tragedy..

Exactly right, and now this poor woman has lost her second daughter in three years. This thread is a blight on our forum and should be deleted.

Edited by The_Real_TCIII

15 hours ago, wolc123 said:

A dead buck (of any size)  can not kill someone but a live one certainly can.  Does that make sense to you ?

That passed deer might live to eat apples under a neighborhood tree that may save a young child from slipping on the apple and hitting it's head on the ground causing brain damage. Makes the same kind of sense... right?

• Like 3

15 hours ago, BigVal said:

Terrible accident but I don't see it as a story to push shooting any deer you see. 

Fear mongering. 

I'm betting this more of a knee jerk reaction to the incident. Was she wearing a helmet, how fast was she going, experience level on an ATV, there are a lot of factors that could have lead to the passing of the young lady not just because someone passed on a small buck. If I hit a deer with my car I don't blame a hunter for not shooting it. No one has control over God's creatures (no getting biblical) this is the classic case of lets blame someone/something else for what happened to make us all feel better.

This is a perfect example and no different than blaming guns and law abiding gun owners for mass shootings, and gun related deaths.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, wolc123 said:

We can all make a difference if we stop worrying about one-upping each other by killing larger antlered deer.   It was tough sitting down at lunch today with a bunch of those classmates, knowing that I had passed on a few deer in years past.  At least I am thankful that the one I passed at home last year got killed a couple weeks later by my neighbor. 

Well it could just as easily be said that the smaller one I pass has not impact to anyone and the bigger one I held out for and took was the one the person would have hit. This thread is trolling and if you believe any of this nonsense you should probably not have the ability to own firearms. 

• Like 2