Letchworth park bear

Nomad

Ok it's raining outside and this is why I hate being stuck indoors but I will take one last stab at making a very simple point.
Please quote my first post on the subject because I purposely made a broad statement so I didn't single you out. You keep saying that it's weird.
Instead of insulting me or saying you have facts, you should have just focused on a simple statement that I made (nothing to do with the park or permits)......people should not jump to conclusions as you did by saying he had his hand in pockets. How would you feel if you were the hunter that killed the bear? My guess is you would be defensive but you don't seem like that type of person at all.
Second you said the hunter must have had his hand in someone's pockets. You keep missing that part.
Third and might be the easiest point to make. You can't say you know everything about the park then complain you didn't know the regulation. 

YOU DID ATTACK THE HUNTERS INTEGRITY BY SAYING HE PAID SOMEONE OFF 

First off. Hands in someone's pocket does not have to mean cash. Second if you read the write up he said,...he got his info from a park cop!!! So you take hunters that have gotten all their info and all their permits for 20 years from the administration building. Which is where all the parks seasons and hunter numbers and what,where, when and how many game will be takin and you hear that there is not a season that they know of and then they read a permit to you and they say.There is nothing on the permit that says bears can be takin there is a problem. If you even had a clue of how that park is ran and has been ran for eons you would not question anything. They did not put on permits bear was open. They did not advertise in the local news papers that they always send to that bear was open and they did not even put on their website that bear is allowed this year. Add that to another guy right on this site told you that he happened to ask a cop and they said yes. So that points to a hunter better know or talk to a cop to see what they can hunt or can't and that is far from what is right or has ever been done in the past. So all of that easily adds up to the park not wanting many hunters to know the bear could be shot. Can't really see why they did because there are not many and by the looks of the smashing the park is getting all over social media you probably won't see a season again but that will be to little to late because now word will be out that bear can be takin and many won't do their homework like we tried to do and they will be shot on site during even shotgun season. The park knew what they were doing by not advertising that bears could be killed and they did it in a very shady manner. At Best!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This hunter does not have any insider friends in the park police (as is being assumed just because they themselves didn’t know that bear was open so it’s the only conclusion you seem to keep coming to.. as if it’s “shady”). Nothing “shady”, no one “paid”, no “riffle” etc etc. As been established, although many did not realize it was open, many others DID. Why you didn’t know has nothing to do with the hunter. This hunter is in the park more days than 99.9 percent (likely 100 percent) and he’s a nice guy and is in open communication with the park police that he comes in contact with. None of those police are his “friends”. I’m sure many of them admire what he consistently is able to do but trust me he’s so good that they constantly check him to be sure nothing (shady) is going on. He’s just a freak of nature. In fact, he made a comfortable living for several years competetivly tournament fishing but lost a sponsor so he stepped away. If guys know the park make their own rules, which seems to change often, it seems logical you ask many of them many questions each year. Also seems the permit can be better for sure, but hey we live in NY. If you meet Matt, congratulate him and I bet you walk away friends (unless by then he is totally turned off by anti’s and other assumptive hunters). 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, DoubleDose said:

Then comes the negative comments, accusations and aspersions.  Which then further deteriorates to name calling.

welcome to the board.....

I've had the discussion both in public and private with a fellow on another forum about posting pics and his opinion is that they are not worth any benefit, and I have always taken the opposite stance.

Its taken a couple of years but I'm now of the opinion he is correct. As much as I enjoy others pics, and have posted a few of my own; between the snipes by other hunters and anti's using them as propaganda; they should be kept private and only shared with very trusted friends.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

welcome to the board.....

I've had the discussion both in public and private with a fellow on another forum about posting pics and his opinion is that they are not worth any benefit, and I have always taken the opposite stance.

Its taken a couple of years but I'm now of the opinion he is correct. As much as I enjoy others pics, and have posted a few of my own; between the snipes by other hunters and anti's using them as propaganda; they should be kept private and only shared with very trusted friends.

Yep I here you , I showed a cousin of mine a few pics from this website of some huge bucks and his first reaction was . he probably  jack lighted it  or baited it or it is  a high fence deer bla bla bla .  That is why in a way I dont understand people who only hunt for  topheys .

Yea unless it is someone you know really well .

most people will just criticize you for it. either they won't believe you  shot it legitimately or if they dont hunt they will criticize you for trophy hunting.

That is why I never talk about hunting except if I know I'm talking to someone who I know hunts .

It is what it is .

Here’s the way I look at it if he’s done nothing wrong then congratulations are in order.  So it looks like he has done nothing wrong so congratulation. The only thing I will say is better you than me getting that thing out of the river flats.

The other thing I would say is to those of you who are saying things that may or may not be true. It’s only you opinion and you know what they say about them. So I would keep my mouth shut.  :taunt:

• Like 2

This guy is as close to being above reproach as I’ve ever met.

I’ve met and spoken with him several times back when he was a rising talent on the fishing circuit. Super humble and is from the town bordering my hometown.

How about we just congratulate the guy and move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 9

Wow. I cant believe I wasted time reading this thread to the end. But it reminds me of a story.  One day I was in the lovely town called Sausalito in California. Some young kid had somehow offended some old crotchety person on the highway. The old fart jumped out of his car and ran over and started screaming at the kid and almost hit him. He was sticking his hand in the guys face through the open car window.  The young kid said  "DUDE... you need a Quaalude...."  Four seasons you need one also.  

7 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

Wow. I cant believe I wasted time reading this thread to the end. But it reminds me of a story.  One day I was in the lovely town called Sausalito in California. Some young kid had somehow offended some old crotchety person on the highway. The old fart jumped out of his car and ran over and started screaming at the kid and almost hit him. He was sticking his hand in the guys face through the open car window.  The young kid said  "DUDE... you need a Quaalude...."  Four seasons you need one also.  

Whatever,  Its obvious to anyone that has any experience on how things are ran on the park and obviously this is another post from someone who is clueless as to how those things are ran. Your opinion means little.

On 12/22/2017 at 8:45 PM, Storm914 said:

A lot of parks do that  they tell friends and family about when things are opening  or changing before everybody else . Happens all the time  he probably knew somebody that works at that Park to know before anyone else about changes .

this is not limited to parks. this is the world haha.

• Like 1

On 12/23/2017 at 1:29 PM, DoubleDose said:

First post for me.  Does this site have moderators?  

Starts with a post of a nice legally taken bear.  Congrats and kudos to the hunter! Then comes the negative comments, accusations and aspersions.  Which then further deteriorates to name calling.

Get used to it...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

I have no horse in this race, but what I gather from everything is that the guy is a solid hunter and not only shot a beautiful bear, but did the right thing and all the hard work to get him out. (something a bunch of us had real issue with on the other giant bear thread on this forum as that hunter gave the bear to the dec).

But I know when I hunt somewhere, especially public land I want to be damn sure I know all the rules and regs and have it all in writing. When i hunted national forest land down south they were all clearly spelled out online and available to everyone. Posted at the trailheads etc. I would certainly have issue with shooting a bear if it wasn't in writing that i legally could. Could you imagine taking the word of a misinformed ranger or clerk? instead the headline reads "hunter poaches bear from letchworth". This matter was very poorly handled by the park in my opinion. I understand them wanting to limit take, but you can still put it in writing and not advertise it... or do a lottery permit system. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Belo said:

I have no horse in this race, but what I gather from everything is that the guy is a solid hunter and not only shot a beautiful bear, but did the right thing and all the hard work to get him out. (something a bunch of us had real issue with on the other giant bear thread on this forum as that hunter gave the bear to the dec).

But I know when I hunt somewhere, especially public land I want to be damn sure I know all the rules and regs and have it all in writing. When i hunted national forest land down south they were all clearly spelled out online and available to everyone. Posted at the trailheads etc. I would certainly have issue with shooting a bear if it wasn't in writing that i legally could. Could you imagine taking the word of a misinformed ranger or clerk? instead the headline reads "hunter poaches bear from letchworth". This matter was very poorly handled by the park in my opinion. I understand them wanting to limit take, but you can still put it in writing and not advertise it... or do a lottery permit system. 

And up until this season for shotgun the park was all lottery only. After 18 years you kinda see how things are done somewhere and the park makes their own rules as to when,where and what will be takin in the park and ALL the info starts at the administration building. Permits come out and permit results have to be sent back our you will find yourself hunting elsewhere next year.

We did hear rumors and it was even talked about on this site. A phone call was made and info was returned that there was not a season she knew of and she went to the next step as grabbing a 2017 permit and read it saying...I dont see anything on permit that says bear is legal to be harvested.  No biggie really but no doubt the park went about it shady at the least.

I guess after the fact now my question would be as to why the picture and big write up by this hunter and harvest when there were in  fact 3 bears taken in the Park?    After reading the facebook pages on Letchworth from hikers,Campers and animal watchers you wont see another season on the park or if you do you sure wont see a big hero shot and story about it. Not sure why the big uproar over a bear instead of a big buck except that 99.9% of people that pay to use that park never see them so do not believe there are many and what is there should be watched with cameras and not killed.   They have the not many part right i believe.

people view bears differently until their car is ripped open or they're scared out of their pants as they hide in their tent as one stomps around the campfire. then it's kill it! kill it!

it's a quantity thing, not a lot of bears and there are a lot of deer and pretty much everyone has hit one or had their garden ruined by them. 

people suck.

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, genesee_mohican said:

http://www.thelcn.com/lcn05/after-bear-killed-in-letchworth-animal-advocates-call-for-opposition-to-dec-management-plan-20180108

With one facebook post and a news story causing a lot of negative feedback, that could be the last bear season in the park for a while.

this should surprise no one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Belo said:

this should surprise no one.

No Doubt.  The Park removed the post on that site because of the negative press.   I like the statement from the lady about seeing signs about Lyme disease but didnt know anything about hunting.  Its only been going on there for 30 plus years that i am aware of.

3 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

You guys do realize that the animal rights nutjobs in that organization are now asking to have hunting banned altogether in the park. Not just bear hunting. As hunters, you guys should be opposing what they are trying to do, not seemingly agreeing with it.

They have been trying that for years. The whole problem is that the bear population is just not there in any numbers and park visitors do not see them so they throw a fit when a season pops up. If you watch their facebook page a bear sighting is as rare as a Rattlesnake sighting and it grabs great attention.

Pretty sure thats why they kept the bear season on the down low to begin with.  3 bears were harvested on the Park and i am still wondering why there was a hero shot and big write up on this one?  Was this  info from the Park reporting pic's and info to the news/newspaper or was it the hunter that supplied all this to the news/newspaper?  

1 hour ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

You guys do realize that the animal rights nutjobs in that organization are now asking to have hunting banned altogether in the park. Not just bear hunting. As hunters, you guys should be opposing what they are trying to do, not seemingly agreeing with it.

who is agreeing with it?

From the "article"

"…It makes me think twice about walking my dog there," wrote Lisa VanGorder. "I have seen signs every 20 feet about Lyme disease but never anything about hunting? Hunting in a park just doesn't sound right to me…" :crazy:

What a Ditz...... If she only knew what goes on in Durand Eastman while "sharpshooters" are shooting deer at night.

20 hours ago, Steve D said:

From the "article"

"…It makes me think twice about walking my dog there," wrote Lisa VanGorder. "I have seen signs every 20 feet about Lyme disease but never anything about hunting? Hunting in a park just doesn't sound right to me…" :crazy:

What a Ditz...... If she only knew what goes on in Durand Eastman while "sharpshooters" are shooting deer at night.

i think some people hear park and assume it's a playground in the city. that place is huge... and yeah only you and your dog should be able to enjoy nature