Airbow????

sodfather

For whatever its worth, an air rifle is not permitted in open season when it shoots a lead bullet (big bore) either.  Method of propulsion seems to matter to DEC.  Keeping this out archery is at least consistent with keep air rifles out of regular season.  Although I happen to think the distinction is less drastic on air rifles vs this "airbow".

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

For whatever its worth, an air rifle is not permitted in open season when it shoots a lead bullet (big bore) either.  Method of propulsion seems to matter to DEC.  Keeping this out archery is at least consistent with keep air rifles out of regular season.  Although I happen to think the distinction is less drastic on air rifles vs this "airbow".

In my opinion 

The seasons need to be Defined by projectile used and speed power output not. 

By weapon .

A airbow kills with a arrow  generates the same speeds as other arrow weapons it belongs in archery. 

A airgun shoots  a bullet kills like a bullet . So what ever they DEC  decide is the ethical foot pounds  of energy to kill a deer .  If a airgun can which that number it should be legal in gun season .  End of story. 

Nope.  Not a bow.  It has a straight, fixed barrel.

The manufacturer is slapping "bow" on the name for profitable branding, and it's a misnomer.  A bow bends, like the curve on a ship's bow, or a courteous bow out of respect.  Nothing "bow" about this rifle.  Archery requires a bow and an arrow, not a rifle and an arrow.  That's not subjective, that's definitive. 

I'm going to create a tank with a barrel that shoots an arrow and call it tankbow...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Elmo said:

Yes.  While the propulsion is different, the projectile is the same.  The speed isn't that much different.  The same advantages and limitations of the airbow are the same with the crossbow.  If I had a crossbow hunting with someone with an airbow I wouldn't feel they have anything over me.

Its still not a bow. Remove the arrow from the equation and there is nothing about the "airbow" that remotely resembles a bow. No limbs, no string, no cams, etc.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

True but it is your line that you are  drawing  "subjective "

Just like before I talk to you and others on here my line was at compound bow .

Others probably it is at recurve and no release aid .

That Is why I think to be fair the seasons should be Defined by the projectile being fired and the speed power output  of said projectile  and not the weapon it self .  You call it a crossbow you could also define it as a rifle bow or rifle that shoots arrows  . But when  it comes down to it it  , it is still shooting  a arrow . The way it generates power means nothing it still kills like a arrow  not like a,bullet 

I dont see that line as subjective at all. Look up the definition of archery. The airbow does not fit that except that it fires an arrow. An arrow alone does not define archery.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rebel Darling said:

Nope.  Not a bow.  It has a straight, fixed barrel.

The manufacturer is slapping "bow" on the name for profitable branding, and it's a misnomer.  A bow bends, like the curve on a ship's bow, or a courteous bow out of respect.  Nothing "bow" about this rifle.  Archery requires a bow and an arrow, not a rifle and an arrow.  That's not subjective, that's definitive. 

I'm going to create a tank with a barrel that shoots an arrow and call it tankbow...

Bingo!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

In my opinion 

The seasons need to be Defined by projectile used and speed power output not. 

By weapon .

A airbow kills with a arrow  generates the same speeds as other arrow weapons it belongs in archery. 

A airgun shoots  a bullet kills like a bullet . So what ever they DEC  decide is the ethical foot pounds  of energy to kill a deer .  If a airgun can which that number it should be legal in gun season .  End of story. 

So then, does this belong in archery season?

http://www.swivelmachine.com/html/rimfire.htm

2 hours ago, Storm914 said:

True but it is your line that you are  drawing  "subjective "

Just like before I talk to you and others on here my line was at compound bow .

Others probably it is at recurve and no release aid .

That Is why I think to be fair the seasons should be Defined by the projectile being fired and the speed power output  of said projectile  and not the weapon it self .  You call it a crossbow you could also define it as a rifle bow or rifle that shoots arrows  . But when  it comes down to it it  , it is still shooting  a arrow . The way it generates power means nothing it still kills like a arrow  not like a,bullet 

I disagree that requiring archery weapons to have a string and limbs is subjective Storm, but I know you like to argue so have at it. 

do you think they will go to a "primitive weapon" season ?  maybe in a few years to keep ahead of technology it will be bows and muzzleloaders for a seperate season........

then can open up the rest of season for ray guns etc...

but the primitive season would seem to make sense to keep ahead of technology.  Even bows etc are coming out with more and more tech like the new rangefinder sights.  

The problem is sometimes people/companies come out with a better mouse trap or tool to make thing easier. It's the way the world is and always have been. Every good invention is a more of a convience. I would probably be very disappointed if I seen some millennial walking in the state lands with this during bow season but afraid for the sport if this is a hit. 

37 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I disagree that requiring archery weapons to have a string and limbs is subjective Storm, but I know you like to argue so have at it. 

Lol yea but if you go back in time you will see that when the first compound bows came out and trigger releases came out the old time archery guys said that was not archery. 

And then the same points  are  said by compound bow guys 

About crossbows  now it is crossbow guys saying the same looks like about the airbow  lol 

So if you want to get technical about it 

If a crossbow is really archery then why can't I use one in the Olympics ? In the archery competition? 

We just keep on going around in circles here lol 

That is is why making seasons based on  what type of projectile it shoots and how fast and Powerful . Seems more logical to me with all the different ways technology can be used to power a projectile these days.  Then trying to define weapons by propulsion.

9 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

Lol yea but if you go back in time you will see that when the first compound bows came out and trigger releases came out the old time archery guys said that was not archery. 

And then the same points  are  said by compound bow guys 

About crossbows  now it is crossbow guys saying the same looks like about the airbow  lol 

So if you want to get technical about it 

If a crossbow is really archery then why can't I use one in the Olympics ? In the archery competition? 

We just keep on going around in circles here lol 

That is is why making seasons based on  what type of projectile it shoots and how fast and Powerful . Seems more logical to me with all the different ways technology can be used to power a projectile these days.  Then trying to define weapons by propulsion.

It makes little difference to me as I prefer to hunt with my recurve, but if I blow a bullet out of a straw does it means its a gun?   The speed and power standard is another red herring.  You know that certain big bore air guns will easily kill deer (perhaps better than some permitted smaller caliber firearms) but still not legal.  I wonder what the difference is.  It ain't the projectile.

In the end, it won't make one bit of difference in how I hunt, but it seems to be stretching the argument over what constitutes archery beyond any reasonable limit.  And there is nothing wrong with applying some common sense to these limits.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, moog5050 said:

It makes little difference to me as I prefer to hunt with my recurve, but if I blow a bullet out of a straw does it means its a gun?   The speed and power standard is another red herring.  You know that certain big bore air guns will easily kill deer (perhaps better than some permitted smaller caliber firearms) but still not legal.  I wonder what the difference is.  It ain't the projectile.

In the end, it won't make one bit of difference in how I hunt, but it seems to be stretching the argument over what constitutes archery beyond any reasonable limit.  And there is nothing wrong with applying some common sense to these limits.

All I'm saying is why focus on the mechanics of a  weapon and not just the projectile and it's kinetic energy .

If it can kill  a deer all the same who cares what it looks like  or how it works .

If it has strings cams rockets ruberbands air gun powder Etc .

The only thing that should matter is if the weapon can effectively humanely kill a deer. And if it does it with a arrow type projectile or a bullet type of projectile. 

I mean the point of all this is hunting right ?  Because if you want to make it like a Olympic sport a competition or something then every weapon needs its  own season and rules. 

Should be eiher one way or the other .  You want crossbows in archery may as well put  anything in there that can shoot a arrow with good power and speed.  

They seem to be over complicating things for know reason. 

Edited by Storm914

5 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

All I'm saying is why focus on the mechanics of a  weapon and not just the projectile and it's kinetic energy .

If it can kill  a deer all the same who cares what it looks like  or how it works .

If it has strings cams rockets ruberbands air gun powder Etc .

The only thing that should matter is if the weapon can effectively humanely kill a deer. And if it does it with a arrow type projectile or a bullet type of projectile. 

The difference in mechanics is what defines what type of weapon it is, regardless of what your opinion is. Its like trying to argue that purple is a primary color because its your favorite and you think it should be. You are trying to argue a fact with an opinion. Good luck.

• Like 1

BTW, Im not a crossbow guy, or a compound guy, or a gun guy, Im a hunter. My objection to the "airbow" being in archery season has nothing to do with how easy it is to use, how accurate it may or may not be, how far you can shoot it, its simply because its not a bow. Some of the anti-crossbow guys like to call them "crossguns" because they have a stock and look similar to a gun in some ways, but the mechanics of a crossbow are far closer to those of a vertical bow than a gun. That is not the case with the "airbow", it meets the definition of an air gun in every way.

6 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

The difference in mechanics is what defines what type of weapon it is, regardless of what your opinion is. Its like trying to argue that purple is a primary color because its your favorite and you think it should be. You are trying to argue a fact with an opinion. Good luck.

Yea but this is hunting not the Olympics . If it can shoot a arrow powerful enough to kill a deer it should be in archery. 

Same with some big bore  airguns  that have  the power of some handguns that are legal .

Like I said hunting is not a Olympic sport .

7 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

BTW, Im not a crossbow guy, or a compound guy, or a gun guy, Im a hunter. My objection to the "airbow" being in archery season has nothing to do with how easy it is to use, how accurate it may or may not be, how far you can shoot it, its simply because its not a bow. Some of the anti-crossbow guys like to call them "crossguns" because they have a stock and look similar to a gun in some ways, but the mechanics of a crossbow are far closer to those of a vertical bow than a gun. That is not the case with the "airbow", it meets the definition of an air gun in every way.

Why over complicate things the airbow is a mechanical device  that propels a arrow 

Both bows and compound bows do the same thing  and can be described the same way.

So what if the machnics are different. 

So are the mechanics of a crossbow and recurve .

No stock no scope no trigger mechanism so what. 

Still shoots a arrow and can kill a deer . As far as hunting goes that is all that should matter . 

37 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

Yea but this is hunting not the Olympics . If it can shoot a arrow powerful enough to kill a deer it should be in archery. 

Same with some big bore  airguns  that have  the power of some handguns that are legal .

Like I said hunting is not a Olympic sport .

Archery season is for Archery equipment.

I agree that NY should allow air guns, and I would support that. I would not support putting air guns into Archery season.

The olympics are irrelevant to the conversation.

2 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Archery season is for Archery equipment.

I agree that NY should allow air guns, and I would support that. I would not support putting air guns into Archery season.

The olympics are irrelevant to the conversation.

I don't have a problem with it either way if they want to put it in archery season or have its own season or any season. But it should be allowed.  

31 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

Why over complicate things the airbow is a mechanical device  that propels a arrow 

Both bows and compound bows do the same thing  and can be described the same way.

So what if the machnics are different. 

So are the mechanics of a crossbow and recurve .

No stock no scope no trigger mechanism so what. 

Still shoots a arrow and can kill a deer . As far as hunting goes that is all that should matter . 

The mechanics of a recurve and a crossbow are the same. Energy stored in the limbs, energy transferred to the string, arrow fired off of the string.

Like I said, look at the definition of Archery. Airguns are not archery. Thats a fact.

Im not going to continuously repeat myself, if you feel like doing so, have at it.

3 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

The mechanics of a recurve and a crossbow are the same. Energy stored in the limbs, energy transferred to the string, arrow fired off of the string.

Like I said, look at the definition of Archery. Airguns are not archery. Thats a fact.

Im not going to continuously repeat myself, if you feel like doing so, have at it.

Ok then why has it taken 30 years for them to put it into archery season ? And it' still not fully in yet .

Obviously somebody feel differently about it :)

Me I don't care any more .

The more weapons to hunt with the more fun I can have :)

The way I look at it now .