Airbow????

sodfather

So was on another forum and this guy said that the state of Virginia made the airbow legal during bow season. I had to look one up. I know many of you won't agree but is this gone to far. First the crossbow which I think should only be used with a medical condition or after a certain age now this thing.. Please don't bash it's just my opinion and figured it would leave for a good heated debate, so who is for the Airbow? 

IMG_0344.PNG

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, sodfather said:

So was on another forum and this guy said that the state of Virginia made the airbow legal during bow season. I had to look one up. I know many of you won't agree but is this gone to far. First the crossbow which I think should only be used with a medical condition or after a certain age now this thing.. Please don't bash it's just my opinion and figured it would leave for a good heated debate, so who is for the Airbow? 

IMG_0344.PNG

From what people here have said I think this is the future of archery or at least will be legalized in one season or other .  It is more acurate more powerful  safer and more maneuverable in the woods.

That should translate into   more ethical kills .

That seems to be the most important thing for most hunters .

Also I do believe that is made in New York state  if I'm not mistaken.  So you would think it will get legalized in either muzzle or archery season eventually as soon as it gets more popular. What may make it not get popular is it's a pain in the A  to fill Pcp gunS  like that .

You need a special pump air compressor and there not cheep . Or you will need to find a scuba shop or  paintball place to fill it.

• Sad 1

From what people here have said I think this is the future of archery or at least will be legalized in one season or other .  It is more acurate more powerful  safer and more maneuverable in the woods.
That should translate into   more ethical kills .
That seems to be the most important thing for most hunters .
Also I do believe that is made in New York state  if I'm not mistaken.  So you would think it will get legalized in either muzzle or archery season eventually as soon as it gets more popular. What may make it not get popular is it's a pain in the A  to fill Pcp gunS  like that .
You need a special pump air compressor and there not cheep . Or you will need to find a scuba shop or  paintball place to fill it.

I'd buy it. Maybe then I'll kill more than two deer a season. And even a coyote!

You Can't Beat My Meat!!!

• Haha 1

And it won't stop there. I know I sound like a broken record about how "precedents" work on these so-called special seasons, but once it starts, there is no turning it back. Everyone seems to underestimate the power of technology, and always judge changes based only on what they see in the moment. It all began with the Allen compound bow patent, and look where it is heading now. The genie is out of the bottle.

The compound played with the hold weight. The crossbow worked a different platform (stock) for the limbs and the fact that there is no draw weight that the shooter is exposed to.  Now we have the advent of a different propulsion system. There really is no end to it. It all boils down to the fact that it is the season that everyone is after, and it really has nothing to do with anything about the character of the weapon. Calling it a bow season is absolutely a misnomer these days. It has nothing to do with bows anymore. The bow is just one of a growing array of weapons that can be legally used with each new addition taking more and more challenge out of what the initial season was created for.

12 minutes ago, Real World Hunter said:

Its called archery season for anything that fires an arrow with a sharp piece of metal on its tip. Will not matter what propels the arrow as long as its the arrow that causes the demise of said animal.  Bring It On.

That's the direction it seems to be going. Soon because a gun can fire some sort of dart it will considered a bow.

• Like 1

I guess this is part of the slippery slope that Doc has raised numerous times.  I really have no objection to full inclusion of the crossbow so that more people can hunt the season.  But this is beyond that to me for some reason I can't properly articulate.  I agree that it really has no practical differences from a crossbow in its use but it bothers me having this weapon in archery season.  Perhaps its the history of crossbows being like bows in that its a limbed weapon.  Don't know but I think adding crossbows is enough and we should stop there without adding no-limb propulsion weapons.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

I guess this is part of the slippery slope that Doc has raised numerous times.  I really have no objection to full inclusion of the crossbow so that more people can hunt the season.  But this is beyond that to me for some reason I can't properly articulate.  I agree that it really has no practical differences from a crossbow in its use but it bothers me having this weapon in archery season.  Perhaps its the history of crossbows being like bows in that its a limbed weapon.  Don't know but I think adding crossbows is enough and we should stop there without adding no-limb propulsion weapons.

I also have no objection to crossbow inclusion, but I know exactly why the "airbow" goes over the line for me. It isnt a bow, plain and simple. Bows have limbs and strings, guns of any type, do not. The "airbow" is an airgun. Now I have no issues with opening up airguns, but I do not feel that they belong in archery season, no matter what type of projectile they fire.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I also have no objection to crossbow inclusion, but I know exactly why the "airbow" goes over the line for me. It isnt a bow, plain and simple. Bows have limbs and strings, guns of any type, do not. The "airbow" is an airgun. Now I have no issues with opening up airguns, but I do not feel that they belong in archery season, no matter what type of projectile they fire.

If it shoots a arrow why not have it in archery ? 

You already changed my thinking on full inclusion of crossbows I am for it .

For points  you and others  made. 

Those points are even more true of the airbow .

Im getting older now and I can see in a few years even dealing with limbs and strings and cocking even a crossbow in the cold  as being difficult because of arthritis in my hands .

This would be helpful .

And it still shoots a arrow and is subject to the physics of a arrow .

And you could put a limit regulation on power or of the  speed if that is a concern .

Edited by Storm914

NY Hunter, 

We’ve said the same thing , till age, brought arthritis, weaken  muscles and worn out joints .

Id love nothing more then to hunt with my compound instead of my xbow, but I’m not sure I’ll ever get there again .

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Doc said:

And it won't stop there. I know I sound like a broken record about how "precedents" work on these so-called special seasons, but once it starts, there is no turning it back. Everyone seems to underestimate the power of technology, and always judge changes based only on what they see in the moment. It all began with the Allen compound bow patent, and look where it is heading now. The genie is out of the bottle.

The compound played with the hold weight. The crossbow worked a different platform (stock) for the limbs and the fact that there is no draw weight that the shooter is exposed to.  Now we have the advent of a different propulsion system. There really is no end to it. It all boils down to the fact that it is the season that everyone is after, and it really has nothing to do with anything about the character of the weapon. Calling it a bow season is absolutely a misnomer these days. It has nothing to do with bows anymore. The bow is just one of a growing array of weapons that can be legally used with each new addition taking more and more challenge out of what the initial season was created for.

Usally what happens when other states start legalizing it and it gets  popular. 

It will get legaized in one form or other in most states .

Crossmen and other airgun manufacturers already expect that to happen with the airbow

There looking  to the future .

Edited by Storm914

42 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

If it shoots a arrow why not have it in archery ? 

You already changed my thinking on full inclusion of crossbows I am for it .

For points  you and others  made. 

Those points are even more true of the airbow .

Im getting older now and I can see in a few years even dealing with limbs and strings and cocking even a crossbow in the cold  as being difficult because of arthritis in my hands .

This would be helpful .

And it still shoots a arrow and is subject to the physics of a arrow .

And you could put a limit regulation on power or of the  speed if that is a concern .

Because its not a bow, its an airgun. It does not fire an arrow off of a string powered by limbs. Thats where I draw the line between archery and not archery.

As far as drawing a crossbow goes, they make cranks and other drawing mechanisms. Not much muscle power needed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Its an airgun. Bows have limbs and strings.

Yes.  While the propulsion is different, the projectile is the same.  The speed isn't that much different.  The same advantages and limitations of the airbow are the same with the crossbow.  If I had a crossbow hunting with someone with an airbow I wouldn't feel they have anything over me.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Because its not a bow, its an airgun. It does not fire an arrow off of a string powered by limbs. Thats where I draw the line between archery and not archery.

As far as drawing a crossbow goes, they make cranks and other drawing mechanisms. Not much muscle power needed.

True but it is your line that you are  drawing  "subjective "

Just like before I talk to you and others on here my line was at compound bow .

Others probably it is at recurve and no release aid .

That Is why I think to be fair the seasons should be Defined by the projectile being fired and the speed power output  of said projectile  and not the weapon it self .  You call it a crossbow you could also define it as a rifle bow or rifle that shoots arrows  . But when  it comes down to it it  , it is still shooting  a arrow . The way it generates power means nothing it still kills like a arrow  not like a,bullet