Why isn't the Superbowl on sat night?

Robhuntandfish

Because it is money.  Some yuppies or candy ass liberals that do not care about sports would do something different on sat night and not even watch the sbl but cause it is sunday night there is nothing to do so they might as well tune in and watch lady gaga at halftime or who ever it is playing.  I think mike francesa said the difference between having it on sun rather than sat is like 300 million dollars.  That is why...

2 hours ago, mowin said:

Because Superbowl Saturday just doesn't sound as good.  

Doesn't matter what day it's on. Will not tune until the NFL grows a pair.. 

i was thinking it would be 3 or 4 posts in before someone came into a thread about the super bowl just to tell people they wont be watching it.

channeling their inner vegan. 

1 hour ago, cbyzerman said:

Because it is money.  Some yuppies or candy ass liberals that do not care about sports would do something different on sat night and not even watch the sbl but cause it is sunday night there is nothing to do so they might as well tune in and watch lady gaga at halftime or who ever it is playing.  I think mike francesa said the difference between having it on sun rather than sat is like 300 million dollars.  That is why...

dont see how they lose money because its on a sat night though. Sat night in Feb there is so much to do?  Im thinking it would give everyone something to do that would take precedent.

The reason the SB was aired on Sunday night is that 50 years ago people weren't glued to their TV's on a Saturday night. The younger folks were out 'cruising' with their friends, the couples went dancing, the families had dinners and house parties, etc. Sunday night was the captive audience for TV back then. Every big show from Ed Sullivan to Disney to 60 Minutes to Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom was aired on Sunday night. Why the NFL hasn't changed it is anybody's guess.

• Like 5

That’s correct , Saturday prime time ratings are always way lower than Sundays , they’re not going to risk that money by switching .

Host cities also make more money , most arrive on Friday and stay to Monday  , Sat game they would loose one full day of over priced rooms, meals and drinks .

Edited by Stay at home Nomad

19 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

i wonder if super bowl ratings will drop like the regular season has - would be interesting

I heard the prices for tickets are know where near as high as past yrs. 

I hope there's empty seats.  

1 hour ago, philoshop said:

The reason the SB was aired on Sunday night is that 50 years ago people weren't glued to their TV's on a Saturday night. The younger folks were out 'cruising' with their friends, the couples went dancing, the families had dinners and house parties, etc. Sunday night was the captive audience for TV back then. Every big show from Ed Sullivan to Disney to 60 Minutes to Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom was aired on Sunday night. Why the NFL hasn't changed it is anybody's guess.

It's all about dominating the national sports conversation and ratings by being on air as much as possible.  To drop back to Saturday would mean losing a full day of extra coverages and thus revenues.  

Pretty much the same philosophy exists behind the current version of the NFL Draft spanning three days and beginning with a huge prime time airing of the 1st round.  It's placed at a dead zone for sports coverage and pre-empts the Kentucky Derby hype.  More time on air = more ratings = more money.  It is ALWAYS about the money!

28 minutes ago, Jdubs said:

It's all about dominating the national sports conversation and ratings by being on air as much as possible.  To drop back to Saturday would mean losing a full day of extra coverages and thus revenues.  

Pretty much the same philosophy exists behind the current version of the NFL Draft spanning three days and beginning with a huge prime time airing of the 1st round.  It's placed at a dead zone for sports coverage and pre-empts the Kentucky Derby hype.  More time on air = more ratings = more money.  It is ALWAYS about the money!

i agree its of course about the money but it would seem they would make more money and viewers on a Sat. at least for the superbowl.    The NFL draft starts on a thursday and still draws in such a number.  BUT i gotta say - I bet the NFL hires a lot of guys in marketing that know a lot more about it than me!  lol Havent gotten any calls for my input as a consultant for the NFL. .....yet 

5 hours ago, mowin said:

Doesn't matter what day it's on. Will not tune until the NFL grows a pair.. 

I feel ya, I hate the kneeling, the criminal stuff. But my favorite sport is football by a big margin.

I figure I have to pay high taxes, can't have unrestricted gun rights, it's wrong to have a mistress, and smoking, drinking, and overeating are all unhealthy.

I'll be damned if I give up football too. Might as well enter a freakin' monastery or take a dirt nap..

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

I feel ya, I hate the kneeling, the criminal stuff. But my favorite sport is football by a big margin.

I figure I have to pay high taxes, can't have unrestricted gun rights, it's wrong to have a mistress, and smoking, drinking, and overeating are all unhealthy.

I'll be damned if I give up football too. Might as well enter a freakin' monastery or take a dirt nap..

It's wrong to have a mistress, smoke, drink and over eat ??

DAMN !! That must be what my ex-wife was pissed off about......

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

oh and since i have a couple of votes for commissioner I also wouldnt allow anyone that was convicted of a felony to play and anyone with a pending one would be suspended until the outcome. I know where i work in real life - if I was convicted of a felony i would be out the door.   

Yea, your gonna have some good football then.  Not for nothing not sure what you do for a living but there is not many dudes on the face of the earth that run 4.3 40s.  That is why you would be out the door and they still have jobs.

5 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

dont see how they lose money because its on a sat night though. Sat night in Feb there is so much to do?  Im thinking it would give everyone something to do that would take precedent.

Sat and sun tv ratings are an extreme difference whether it is sports or anything else. That is the reason there is nothing on saturday night except for saturday night live and thats at like midnight

• Like 1