Power outage from northeaster 24 hours no power no heat

Hunter007

12 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

I thought I was have a bunch of back up batterys lithium . For Electronics .Never  expected a hurricane in the winter time and have no heat :)

Yeah it's crazy.  Even if you get a couple of cheap portable propane  heaters would prob help out.  They are like $80 at Walmart. My furnace had an issue on new year's day at it was -18.  Without those would've had a lot more problems. 

• Like 1

I have been around long enough to have seen some big time snow falls and the power outages that accompany them, some can last for days, as the old Boy Scout motto says "BE PREPARED'"! Expect the unexpected because sooner or later if you live around these parts long enough you will get a dose of mother nature going off her wheels in some way or another. The hurricanes of last summer are a good example that there is going to be hardship no matter how hard the government tries to to get things back into working order. When things really get bad the whole system can be overwhelmed, hell they still do not have power in many locations in PR.

I always had the basics for power outages, I collect old Coleman and Deitz lanterns along with carbide mine lamps so lights are no problem and they will also put out decent amounts of heat. I have a big kerosene heater and battery operated lights and radio. Most power outages are only for a few hours at most and a minor inconvenience, but about 20 yrs ago I had a three day winter power outage that was a real hardship because of my livestock and need for large amounts of water, I got through it but barely. 

20 or so years ago I did a remodel on my house and put in a few measures that will get me through most weather related messes. First of all I got the house wired for a generator that will take care of any electrical needs along with a good quality generator. Next was a high BTU propane gas insert for my wood fireplace, it will heat the house without power. A new old fashioned style wood-coal cook stove was purchased, that will also heat the house and supply hot water along with cooking meals.

Power outages are a funny thing, since the generator was purchased I bet in 20 years I only used it a half dozen times for power, but this year I have had to fire it up four times including for this past storm which left me without power for a day but things kept going along here like clockwork without missing a beat.

Again as the Boy Scouts say "BE PREPARED"

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, ncountry said:

Don't completely take this the wrong way.. But.. if you can afford 50k in property taxes you're a fool not to have a natural gas or propane generator for back up.. Take care of yourself..;)

Has to be property valued at one million plus?? ($1,000,000)

For a measly $2,000 you can get a great little Honda generator and run your furnace, sump pump and a few lights at the VERY least.

• Like 1

Has to be property valued at one million plus?? ($1,000,000)

For a measly $2,000 you can get a great little Honda generator and run your furnace, sump pump and a few lights at the VERY least.

Gotta be multi millions if it’s $50K taxes. Here’s an example of $32K taxes in Scarsdale. So $50K has to be some house/property.

Sump pump for what? I would assume the property was professionally graded. Everyone around me is. Never seen or heard of a water issue and none of us have even $1M homes.

https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/ny/scarsdale/4-hamilton-road/pid_23210508/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Storm914 said:

How about they put the lines underground In places they  know have this problem with trees other country's don't have powerlines exposed like here. 

Expensive, plus even if utilities buried lines, a burn out of Underground lines will take a helluvalot longer to repair than it is to repair overhead lines.

• Like 1

No matter how many natural disasters we have (Katrina, hurricanes, blah, blah, blah) people never seem to learn the reality of life that in the event of a natural disaster or area-wide emergency, you can't rely on the government (or utility company) to take care of your basic needs. You need to be self sufficient. My two cents. Keep the change.

My story. A lot of folks may remember the famous ice snow storm that hit Western New York in October 2006. I was on a week long business trip in California when it hit. The first two days, my wife and stepson relied on the fireplace for heat, which really sucked. I was able to somehow get a flight back via JFK (Thank you initial Jet Blue agent for hanging up on me as I was pleading for a flight back to Buffalo). My wife and I then drove down to Cleveland to buy a portable generator and 100' heavy duty power cord. Got it set up in the backyard. Neighbor wired the furnace to it, (I was mechanically useless at the time) and we had the gas heat going. I then flew back to California to finish my business trip. Our street was one of the last ones in our neighborhood to get back power. We were out for over six days.

Afterwards, my wife's favorite words for the next few months was "whole house generator". Once spring came, I had a Kohler 12KW one installed. At the time, it cost around $12k to install. It can run everything except only one of the two A/Cs at a time. Since we've had it installed, we've only used it a few hours. Every time there is a power outage in the area, I keep hoping our power goes out so I can get my money's worth.

Edited by goosifer
  • Like 2

Haven't needed anyone to wipe my butt, since I was a child. Having grown up in the 'country', with not much money, we learned to be self sufficient. There have been quite a few times, where we lost power for a week or more over the years. We made it through just fine. Never depend on anyone or anything. Learn from past experiences, and be better prepared for next time.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, grampy said:

Haven't needed anyone to wipe my butt, since I was a child. Having grown up in the 'country', with not much money, we learned to be self sufficient. There have been quite a few times, where we lost power for a week or more over the years. We made it through just fine. Never depend on anyone or anything. Learn from past experiences, and be better prepared for next time.

We Have 2 big generators just for this purpose along with 15 gallons of fuel ...should be good for a while

• Like 1

No matter how many natural disasters we have (Katrina, hurricanes, blah, blah, blah) people never seem to learn the reality of life that in the event of a natural disaster or area-wide emergency, you can't rely on the government (or utility company) to take care of your basic needs. You need to be self sufficient. My two cents. Keep the change.
My story. A lot of folks may remember the famous ice snow storm that hit Western New York in October 2006. I was on a week long business trip in California when it hit. The first two days, my wife and stepson relied on the fireplace for heat, which really sucked. I was able to somehow get a flight back via JFK (Thank you initial Jet Blue agent for hanging up on me as I was pleading for a flight back to Buffalo). My wife and I then drove down to Cleveland to buy a portable generator and 100' heavy duty power cord. Got it set up in the backyard. Neighbor wired the furnace to it, (I was mechanically useless at the time) and we had the gas heat going. I then flew back to California to finish my business trip. Our street was one of the last ones in our neighborhood to get back power. We were out for over six days.
Afterwards, my wife's favorite words for the next few months was "whole house generator". Once spring came, I had a Kohler 12KW one installed. At the time, it cost around $12k to install. It can run everything except only one of the two A/Cs at a time. Since we've had it installed, we've only used it a few hours. Every time there is a power outage in the area, I keep hoping our power goes out so I can get my money's worth.

That’s why I don’t buy a generator. I don’t live in the middle of nowhere so worse case scenario I can stay many nights in a hotel for $12K

I can’t believe what I’m hearing. 50k in taxes and you don’t want to be prepared with a generator that you will hardly ever use? You have no power. Wahhhhh. Really? And it’s the governments fault? Are you kidding? Do you cry about your insurance payment on your house too? That’s what a generator is, insurance. Just in case. Just be happy that it’s not below freezing and you’d be having pipes bursting all over. I’ve done work at a lot of expensive homes, and most if not all have a diesel generator on the side of their house.

You remind me of a little kid that has entitlement issues. You just cry when you don’t get your way and blame everyone else for not being prepared yourself.

And as far as buried electric lines, they are actually more prone to going out due to water corrosion. And when they do go out, they take a lot longer to get back up and running. 

Just because you have a multi million dollar home, it doesn’t make you any more special than anyone else. Nobody is going to run an electric cord to your house or pay your hotel bill. So stop your whining and suck it up. 

Edited by NonTypical
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

That’s why I don’t buy a generator. I don’t live in the middle of nowhere so worse case scenario I can stay many nights in a hotel for $12K

Short term .. Sounds like a good plan..Unless pipes freeze . Repairs will probably be costlier..

But then again .. Drinking at the hotel bar sounds like a good way of spending $12k.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeremy K said:

The "new" neighborhood behind me has buried lines , i live in the poor old neighborhood with above ground lines , conservatively speaking ,the new neighborhood loses power 10 times for every 1 time we lose power . I don't know why but there is a lot of people behind me with generators running and our lights never even flickered .

Moisture is a big problem with buried lines.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Merlot said:

Having worked for National Grid for 35 years, I can attest to the impossible conditions we had to work in after storms like this. People should remember it took decades to build and maintain the overhead lines, and it sucks to see all that work tossed away when storms hit and take the facilities down overnight.

We put in a natural gas stand by generator to protect ourselves in the event of a electric failure. Next step will probably be moving south to get away from the white stuff, then get killed by a tornado...or hurricane.

Not to be an A-hole but after working for NYSEG for 40 yrs. as a lineman you can't believe the people that won't let you trim/cut their trees! I have had cases where people have called to get their tree trimmed & when I got there they wouldn't let me trim.   We had a whole subdivision out for 8 hrs. + on a cold winters night because a property owner would not let us trim his tree.  The other thing is when a tree does come down people tell us we need to cut "our tree" down , well people the power company does not have trees, they have poles & wires. Also when you plant a tree look up & see where that tree will be in a few yrs. if it will grow into the wires move it.   Another thing is some one needs to be back on first & some one will be on last everyone will get a turn, rule is we started with the masses back on  & then worked on the individuals . In the mean time if your power goes on & off a few times in between we are not playing games with you we are trying to be safe & save a lineman's life so they can go home to their families & kids at the end of the storm & probably won't be thought of again until your power goes off again!  Remember when your home in your house even without electric somewhere there is a man hanging on a pole in the rain & snow in 10* weather in the middle of the night,  putting your power back on!     Think about it!

• Like 10

10 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

My house changed from “Monday 11:45pm” to “assessing”. Not sure if that’s good or bad. Corner street lights near me are working so maybe good?

I’m sure it’s good. They’re on it. It’ll probably be back on tonight. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hunter49 said:

Not to be an A-hole but after working for NYSEG for 40 yrs. as a lineman you can't believe the people that won't let you trim/cut their trees! I have had cases where people have called to get their tree trimmed & when I got there they wouldn't let me trim.   We had a whole subdivision out for 8 hrs. + on a cold winters night because a property owner would not let us trim his tree.  The other thing is when a tree does come down people tell us we need to cut "our tree" down , well people the power company does not have trees, they have poles & wires. Also when you plant a tree look up & see where that tree will be in a few yrs. if it will grow into the wires move it.   Another thing is some one needs to be back on first & some one will be on last everyone will get a turn, rule is we started with the masses back on  & then worked on the individuals . In the mean time if your power goes on & off a few times in between we are not playing games with you we are trying to be safe & save a lineman's life so they can go home to their families & kids at the end of the storm & probably won't be thought of again until your power goes off again!  Remember when your home in your house even without electric somewhere there is a man hanging on a pole in the rain & snow in 10* weather in the middle of the night,  putting your power back on!     Think about it!

Nailed it. Well said.