Scared?

G-Man

1 hour ago, G-Man said:

Yep they aren't as easy as made out to be..and actually many crossbow users practice all season because they can't unlock so they carry a block to shoot into.. where the compound user who practices all year one season comes just takes off his arrow and walk into camp or get in his truck...and next time off is hunting  not practicing.. so they may go several.weeks not releasing an arrow... 

I carry 5 arrows in my compound quiver . Two have target points . After sitting a while in a stand , I pick a clump on the ground and shoot one of the target arrows . I also shoot a few times at the backyard target on occasion . No need to do this with my crossbow . 

6 hours ago, fasteddie said:

I carry 5 arrows in my compound quiver . Two have target points . After sitting a while in a stand , I pick a clump on the ground and shoot one of the target arrows . I also shoot a few times at the backyard target on occasion . No need to do this with my crossbow . 

You are one of a few that practice during the season then. And with a crossbow your still shooting it to decock it every hunt

3 hours ago, G-Man said:

You are one of a few that practice during the season then. And with a crossbow your still shooting it to decock it every hunt

That is what I consider a big advantage of the crossbow and also one which many folks overlook, or even consider a disadvantage.   For example, looking back two seasons ago, I unloaded my crossbow into a rag-bag after the morning hunt, then had two bucks show up at almost the same distance for the afternoon hunt, the larger of which I killed.   You talk about building confidence about making a shot, it don't get much better than that.  

Back when I hunted with a vertical bow, I seldom practiced throughout the season, and that almost certainly contributed to some of the misfortunes that I suffered with that weapon.   I thank the Good Lord almost every day over the last four years that those days are behind me, due to those 17 days (including the full rut) that I can now use a crossbow in NY state.   It would be nice to get the rest of archery season, but I am not complaining much and have done ok under the current rules.  It would let me to do more to help control the antlerless population in the grossly overpopulated WMU where I live (9F)  if I could get out there after them starting October 1. Killing bucks has not been a problem for me, but it is just amazing how fast those wise old does lead their groups to be completely nocturnal as soon as they detect some early archery pressure.    

• Like 1

I would think vertical bow hunters continue to practice through out the bow season to keep muscles in shape, to make sure the bow is still shooting properly after trips to the field, to practice with hunting cloths on during the colder temps ect. I understand some won't have a target out back and have to get to a range to shoot, which would be mucn more time consuming.  I have a target in the yard and shoot shoot pretty much every day during the season, even if it's just one arrow before I head out or or return home. I will shine a light on my target and practice in the dark if needed.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, genesee_mohican said:

I would think vertical bow hunters continue to practice through out the bow season to keep muscles in shape, to make sure the bow is still shooting properly after trips to the field, to practice with hunting cloths on during the colder temps ect. I understand some won't have a target out back and have to get to a range to shoot, which would be mucn more time consuming.  I have a target in the yard and shoot shoot pretty much every day during the season, even if it's just one arrow before I head out or or return home. I will shine a light on my target and practice in the dark if needed.

That is a great idea for the bow-hunters, especially the older ones.  

5 hours ago, G-Man said:

I shoot my bow all year and I’m not sure about the few that you speak of.  All the bow hunters I know do the same thing shoot all year. My shotgun on the other hand yes I would admit I pull it out fire it 3 times a couple days before and call it ready. 

Edited by sodfather
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, G-Man said:

I bought the Barnett Decelerator de-cocking bolt at F&S for $15 . I shoot this before getting down from a tree stand . It doesn't work shooting it at a distance from the ground as it will skip rather than stick from the ground . I also bought a de-cocking bag last fall that I keep in the car and use a target bolt with this . Here is a link to what the de-cocking bolt looks like .

• Barnett-Thump-Decelerator-Crossbow-De-Cocking-Arrow-3-Pack-17526

Barnett Thump Decelerator Crossbow De-Cocking Arrow 3 Pack #17526

8 hours ago, sodfather said:

I shoot my bow all year and I’m not sure about the few that you speak of.  All the bow hunters I know do the same thing shoot all year. My shotgun on the other hand yes I would admit I pull it out fire it 3 times a couple days before and call it ready. 

The bowhunters I know do not shoot during season but thats the guys I know. We all have different groups of people we hang out with.

• Like 1

I live a couple miles from my friend and hunting partner's bow shop in the Finger Lakes - spend a lot of time there and probably interact with 300 bowhunters every fall. Of them, a small minority shoot year round, a few more start by mid summer and the majority start getting ready less than 30 days out. I doubt 25 of them take more than a few practice shots in season - and usually it's because they came in for a repair. Joke is how dirty the shop gets in the fall from all the dust blown off the bows brought in to check.

He's also sold near 300 crossbows in the last 5 years. Less than a couple dozen went to hunters that didn't have a bow stamp. His are low middle end to upper. If gun hunters are crossing over, they are going to BP, Dicks or Walmart for the cheapies.

• Like 1

I really wish there was away to see how many are really " new "hunters vs bow hunters that just pick one up as something new to use.. as I've said my observations and the comments here are about 10 bow hunters, to 1 gun hunter buying in. It seems the fear of guys gonna get the deer or mess up my hunting is not the case.  As most are bow hunters who would be out there anyway.. now is the time to make it a bow stamp requirement and fully include it imo before the grandfathered in rule takes effect and shot placement and. Strategy is lost on an influx of gun crossovers continues to grow.

15 minutes ago, G-Man said:

I really wish there was away to see how many are really " new "hunters vs bow hunters that just pick one up as something new to use.. as I've said my observations and the comments here are about 10 bow hunters, to 1 gun hunter buying in. It seems the fear of guys gonna get the deer or mess up my hunting is not the case.  As most are bow hunters who would be out there anyway.. now is the time to make it a bow stamp requirement and fully include it imo before the grandfathered in rule takes effect and shot placement and. Strategy is lost on an influx of gun crossovers continues to grow.

Yeah, I've said it in cb threads before: I live near prime public hunting land and keep a close eye on things all during bow  and gun. If anything, hunter numbers seem to drop during open crossbow season. There is no increased pressure at all.

I'm not sure why hunters on here are against crossbows and say they 'voted against' full inclusion which would give hunters a choice during all bow season. It's still an arrow and a string and an arrow can deflect ect, and there is just one shot. I don't see the big deal. And after reading on here how most hunters don't even attempt to practice during the bow season....It's possible a ton of  deer are wounded and gut shot with compound bows and are never recovered. I'd much rather see a hunter use a crossbow, make a clean kill, and put a deer in the freezer instead of feeding coyotes.  But that's just me.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sodfather said:

You'll always find a Judo Point in my quiver while deer hunting............I shoot from the stand when leaving in the morning and evening and shoot while heading out in the morning and in in the evening.

Been shooting them for 40+ years; except no imitations.

Although I've been on here saying that crossbows are for pu$$ies plenty of times, I'm coming around since my dad's been having shoulder problems, he's stubborn and still says crossbows are lame but he's on his way to using one I'm sure so who cares if it helps people take deer cleanly I don't have a problem. Need a bow course though. And I may still use my original stance sometimes. Don't take offense to it lol. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, genesee_mohican said:

I'm not sure why hunters on here are against crossbows and say they 'voted against' full inclusion which would give hunters a choice during all bow season. It's still an arrow and a string and an arrow can deflect ect, and there is just one shot. I don't see the big deal. And after reading on here how most hunters don't even attempt to practice during the bow season....It's possible a ton of  deer are wounded and gut shot with compound bows and are never recovered. I'd much rather see a hunter use a crossbow, make a clean kill, and put a deer in the freezer instead of feeding coyotes.  But that's just me.

I am for full inclusion of muzzle loaders in Bow Season as they make a clean kill and are a one shot wonder . :rolleyes: How's that grab you ....:drinks:

6 hours ago, fasteddie said:

I am for full inclusion of muzzle loaders in Bow Season as they make a clean kill and are a one shot wonder . :rolleyes: How's that grab you ....:drinks:

A "FIREARM" IS NOT a crossbow as much as you may think it looks like one . Your a smart guy I can't believe you can even put this up as an argument in bow..  to show your side.. May as just say howitzer for as dumb as that makes your statement look

1 hour ago, G-Man said:

A "FIREARM" IS NOT a crossbow as much as you may think it looks like one . Your a smart guy I can't believe you can even put this up as an argument in bow..  to show your side.. May as just say howitzer for as dumb as that makes your statement look

You see that argument used all the time from the anti-full inclusion minority.  What they missing is that the crossbow is silent, just like a bow, while a ML is not.  If allowed at the start of archery season,  I believe it would give hunters and the DEC the tool they need to get deer numbers under control in the zones where they have struggled.  They have been giving out lots of DMP's in these areas, but those do not do much good after the deer go nocturnal. They do that now after detecting a little early archery pressure.  It is a shame that the automobile has been the primary means of control in many of these DMU's.   At least it keeps the collision shops and insurance agents busy.

I have great respect for bowhunters who maintain effectiveness with a vertical bow into their twilight years, but do not oppose other's usage of the crossbow.    That demonstrates great selflessness, which is always a good thing.  Those who are struggling so hard to keep the crossbow out could learn a lot from these individuals.  Selfish elitism is always a bad thing.  It is real good to see a few of them dropping their NYB memberships anyhow.          

24 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

.......I have great respect for bowhunters who maintain effectiveness with a vertical bow into their twilight years, but do not oppose other's usage of the crossbow.    That demonstrates great selflessness, which is always a good thing.  Those who are struggling so hard to keep the crossbow out could learn a lot from these individuals.  Selfish elitism is always a bad thing.  It is real good to see a few of them dropping their NYB memberships anyhow.          

Ha-ha-ha...... why don't you crossbow enthusiasts demonstrate even more selflessness and drop that selfish elitism and instead push for allowing old gunners to use the early bow season as well? Why are you crossbow enthusiasts such selfish exclusionary elitists. I know some old guys that just can't tolerate the snow and cold of the gun season and really are being pushed out of hunting because they are not allowed in the warmer part of the deer hunting seasons. Just imagine how great it would be to give hunters "real choice" in weaponry during all of the fall hunting seasons. What a great gesture of selflessness it would be!

3 hours ago, G-Man said:

You wouldn't know SARCASM if it bit you in the ass ! :rolleyes: