2018 Live from the turkey woods

turkeyfeathers

23 minutes ago, Bill Schmidt said:

Fields today as it is overcast. Hens flew down and moved away from my decoy. I heard a raspy hen start to yelp- then pops,whistles,other sounds of a bad nature for about 5 minutes . I think that hen got attacked. I have heard coyotes plenty of times and this was different. 1 gobble during this. I am thinking  Fox or Great Horned Owl. I think other turkeys were with the one yelping. 

I heard the oddest spine chilling sounds last week as it was just getting light. Thought I heard a fly down , then shrills , woop woop   Lasted a minute. Little while later 3 birds came running fast from that area My only guess was bobcat but likely a fisher on a bird. I’ll never know and really want to know what I heard. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I heard the oddest spine chilling sounds last week as it was just getting light. Thought I heard a fly down , then shrills , woop woop   Lasted a minute. Little while later 3 birds came running fast from that area My only guess was bobcat but likely a fisher on a bird. I’ll never know and really want to know what I heard. 

Most of the time when I hear that type of calls  and then see the  source, it is a red fox...They make some pretty eerie sounds

• Like 1

Well i got my butt kicked again. Didn't even see a single turkey and I heard only one gobble after they flew down. I might have heard a few more later in the morning, but I'm not sure as it was far. I was pretty close to them on the roost, but they went in the same direction as last time. Ill be changing up my plan a bit and sit in a different spot for the fly down and see if I can cut them off. Starting to get a little frustrating , not even seeing a bird. They were gobbling a lot more compared to last week. Ill be making that 2 am wake up call at least 4 or 5 more times to see if I can get one. 

Alarm just went off , couid Hunt tiil 10:30 but just not feeling it so back to bed I go. Figure there’s many more days I can hunt , one tag left and enjoy the woods after they’ve filled out    Good luck to anyone headed out today.  Yup , the other side of the pillow is nice and cool. 

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Little foggy, little windy, lots of songbirds, just need a gobble now. Forgot my seat. Good luck to anyone else who’s out this morning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I feel like today is your day, you WILL kill one. 

Shoot straight.......

1 hour ago, Papist said:

Just as well my alarm failed to go off this morning. It's overcast and this translates to no Turkey action. Gonna hit the weights instead

There ya go......looks like they weren’t gonna die today. 

For you anyways!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Belo said:

really? I've had much more vocal birds on sunny days. hmm

In all these years I cant find any rhyme or reason to why they sometimes gobble on the roost and sometimes dont as far as weather goes. Ive decided it all depends on where the hens roost. If the tom knows where they are he doesn't need to gobble. If they got separated the day before and hes not sure where they roosted, he gobbles his head off until they answer. Thats my theory and I'm sticking to it

• Like 1

Had a big one running to me but think he saw me cause the decoys were between us and he came in on my blind side.  Can't hunt again til Sat but gonnna see if we can get him in again. Move a little and put out just a hen and change the call and see if he comes in again. 

Hunting buddy Ed def got a good one today.  10" beard, 18 lbs, 1 1/4 spurs.  

Good morning out for sure. We both changed up fields and that was the ticket.  

rps20180514_115856.jpg

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Quick stats: 1” spurs, 21lbs via scale and confirmed to the oz on Pennsylvania Chest Girth measurement chart, 10” beard. 3 year old? All the 2 year olds I’ve taken have 7/8” rounded spurs6b23f46adc61cdee251b1cef883c5163.jpgbdfac9a2acc78723c8e6afd56b4512d0.jpga03ad6acdc552df58de5da0d2bfb4480.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Based on my vast experience, I would say you have yourself a NY ostrich there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1