what kind of tree is this?

jmark

Those are shagbark hickorys, and that is how they are supposed to look. It's a very common species and generally a very beneficial one. And by the way, for those that are very, very, ambitious, it produce nuts that make some darn good cakes and cookies if you have a lot of time on your hands....lol

• Like 3

Ha!  I had a feeling there would be knowledge here on this.  Thanks, guys.  I was able to find the tree in my Audubon guide (I hadn't thought of it as a compound leaf and hadn't looked in that section).  

So, the browning of those leaves ... that's normal?  

As for the nuts - they must be tasty, I saw a healthy looking squirrel trying to haul of two in his mouth at once.  

20180908_120155.jpg

• Like 1

Well we got bunches of 'em.  Which may explain the healthy squirrel population.  I'll have to ask my dad for my gramma's old squirrel recipes.  

As for the visitor, several of her larger friends strolled by right before, but I couldn't get the camera quick enough.  This one seemed to kind of take a liking to me.  

1 hour ago, Bill Schmidt said:

I have eaten those Shagbark Hickory Nuts.

Lol, I think you might have thought I have eaten them before, never have actually.   Hickory is my favorite,  have cabinets, flooring, and a wall top that is hickory, I love the chocolate, and blonde color of it.

Edited by Bionic
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Definitely NOT a climber or even lock on type of a tree...lol. 

First year hunting I set up on one in the dark with my climber.  Slid down about 5 feet fairly quickly that morning.  That was enough for me to learn my lesson.  It was a good spot though.  lol

4 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

First year hunting I set up on one in the dark with my climber.  Slid down about 5 feet fairly quickly that morning.  That was enough for me to learn my lesson.  It was a good spot though.  lol

I’m notorious for setting climber in ash trees.  No troubles with anchoring there. If I ever disappear from forum I’m still up in one and phone battery is dead.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Duly noted - I will not put a tree stand on any of the Shagbark Hickory trees!  (That said, my son plans to put "tree houses" in several trees on the property, or at least permanent platforms, so we may not need any stands.  The deer are all over the place.)  

So... while I have the attention of so many kind and knowledgeable people... any idea what this one is? 

20180908_120057.jpg