What would an off-grid cabin like this cost?

Core

Wife's agreed I can buy some hunting land, but I'm wondering if it could make sense to get something a bit further out, a bit cheaper, and put a cabin on it.

If I wanted a small cabin with

• main sitting area
  • one bedroom
  • small kitchen
  • small bathroom

Is that achievable for $50k? Part of the issue is I have no idea what New York would mandate for a structure like this as it pertains to utilities, septic, etc. 

I'd envision something entirely off-grid--run electric on a generator, heat via propane tank or wood stove. But water is a problem. Unless i drill a well ($8-9k?), realistically how else could I have a functional shower, kitchen, etc? Have a tank and get it delivered (seems a hassle and won't work in the winter)? And then I imagine I'd need a very small septic system, too. 

The structure itself shouldn't be that pricey but getting the other stuff tied up to it seems like it could blow a budget pretty easily.

Edited by Core

23 minutes ago, Core said:

Wife's agreed I can buy some hunting land, but I'm wondering if it could make sense to get something a bit further out, a bit cheaper, and put a cabin on it.

If I wanted a small cabin with

• main sitting area
  • one bedroom
  • small kitchen
  • small bathroom

Is that achievable for $50k? Part of the issue is I have no idea what New York would mandate for a structure like this as it pertains to utilities, septic, etc. 

I'd envision something entirely off-grid--run electric on a generator, heat via propane tank or wood stove. But water is a problem. Unless i drill a well ($8-9k?), realistically how else could I have a functional shower, kitchen, etc? Have a tank and get it delivered (seems a hassle and won't work in the winter)? And then I imagine I'd need a very small septic system, too. 

The structure itself shouldn't be that pricey but getting the other stuff tied up to it seems like it could blow a budget pretty easily.

how handy are you and how much work are you willing to do yourself?

We have 18k is my camp it’s 24x24, built with 2nd hand trusses and siding. Everything inside other than materials was bought used except my mattress.

Water is ran off 12 volt pump, I dug a point well for water with hand pump to a barrel that runs to sick. Barrel is Plumbed into ground for draining when not there. Outhouse for when nature calls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I paid a little over $5k for this prefab "barn" (made by the Amish in PA), delivered (in Greene County).  There are sellers of these things all over the place.  They can get in pretty tight for deliveries (surprisingly).  It's 12 by 28 feet.  We put in insulation (maybe $300) and T1-11 paneling on the interior walls (another grand).  Easy to do a makeshift "kitchen" (camp stove).  Easy to heat with a Big Buddy propane heater (will probably install a wall version and a 100 pound outside tank ($250 for both).  We're putting in a wall at 10 feet back from the front "barn doors", insulating it, so tools and equipment go in the first part, living quarters in the back.  

We did run power to the thing, although I was sure tempted not to.  Now that we're "on the grid", I will have a well dug (under $5k) and a septic system put in (close to $10k).  Propane instant water heater, cheap used sink and toilet... I'll have less than $25k in the whole thing, *with* well and septic.  

20180922_120131.jpg

20181021_150117.jpg

20181021_150132.jpg

Edited by jmark
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

how handy are you and how much work are you willing to do yourself?

Pretty handy but definitely don't have the time to engage in building a living structure. 

Looking for a pre-built is definitely an idea.

Edited by Core

1 minute ago, Core said:

Pretty handy but definitely don't have the time to engage in building a living structure. 

We got pretty creative with the bathroom facilities, water, shower and electric. Wasn't crazy money and would be glad to discuss with you. We just bring in potable water and the rest of the water is off the site for all other uses. No well. A lot will depend on the property you buy and how it is laid out. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

We got pretty creative with the bathroom facilities, water, shower and electric. Wasn't crazy money and would be glad to discuss with you. We just bring in potable water and the rest of the water is off the site for all other uses. No well. A lot will depend on the property you buy and how it is laid out. 

I think ultimately two non-negotiables would be I really need a modern kitchen. Small is fine, but need a fridge, and equally important a way to get a nice hot shower and not have to deal with an out house. I'll never sell my wife on compromising on those if I intend for her to stay there.

5 minutes ago, Core said:

I think ultimately two non-negotiables would be I really need a modern kitchen. Small is fine, but need a fridge, and equally important a way to get a nice hot shower and not have to deal with an out house. I'll never sell my wife on compromising on those if I intend for her to stay there.

Then my personal opinion is, you need power (not a generator, they are annoying as hell, require maintenance, make noise, use fuel, are unreliable for long term solutions).  Just my 2 cents.  

1 minute ago, Core said:

Honda 2000 generator runs our fridge and lights and a few outlets. Pure sine power for electronics and it runs about 12-14 hours on of gallon of gas.  hook in a 6 gallon marine boat tank and you can run 3.5 - 4 days on that gas. I don't run the generator during deer season for the most part becasue cod enough temps for coolers even though that genny is really quiet.  I would say look for an OLD propane stove that uses a pilot and not electronic ignition. Instantaneous hot water heaters are available to provide a shower and sink. Propane and 12 volt lights with 2 deep cell batteries and a solar panel (also runs on demand water pump)

We built ours on concrete piers with metal siding and roof because we wanted it critter proof. I think we are 10 years in on this and never had a mouse in camp. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Honda 2000 generator runs our fridge and lights and a few outlets. Pure sine power for electronics and it runs about 12-14 hours on of gallon of gas.  hook in a 6 gallon marine boat tank and you can run 3.5 - 4 days on that gas. I don't run the generator during deer season for the most part becasue cod enough temps for coolers even though that genny is really quiet.  I would say look for an OLD propane stove that uses a pilot and not electronic ignition. Instantaneous hot water heaters are available to provide a shower and sink. Propane and 12 volt lights with 2 deep cell batteries and a solar panel (also runs on demand water pump)

We built ours on concrete piers with metal siding and roof because we wanted it critter proof. I think we are 10 years in on this and never had a mouse in camp. 

Listen to Culver's suggestion.  His place is rustic, but an engineering marvel.   Has everything one needs to be comfortable.

• Like 2

my only advice on this thread is to pay close attention to big brother's regulations. permitting requirements and stuff. That you're zoned for what you're doing and unfortunately that you're taxed accordingly. Also I imagine insurance for a lived in barn could be interesting too. None of these things you NEED to worry about, by in my opinion you should if you want to avoid future hassles. 

My parents have an off grid cabin, but it's basically a home. Solar powered and way over your budget. Little things like the requirement to have a bathroom fan, the specs on the propane heater vent, the chimney height requirements and hardwired smoke alarms all make these things interesting. 

I've wanted to build a house from Intermodal shipping containers, I thought it would be a great thing for a deer camp too. You could buy it have it dropped close to home, do all or most of the improvements to the interior, and when your ready have it delivered to your property. You would have a secure inclosed structure, instant camp.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Belo said:

my only advice on this thread is to pay close attention to big brother's regulations. permitting requirements and stuff. That you're zoned for what you're doing and unfortunately that you're taxed accordingly. Also I imagine insurance for a lived in barn could be interesting too. None of these things you NEED to worry about, by in my opinion you should if you want to avoid future hassles. 

My parents have an off grid cabin, but it's basically a home. Solar powered and way over your budget. Little things like the requirement to have a bathroom fan, the specs on the propane heater vent, the chimney height requirements and hardwired smoke alarms all make these things interesting. 

Gotta know you audience. The governing towns vary so much it isn't even funny.  Simple things like wording of a "hunting cabin" vs a "Camp" can vary their "interest" a lot. 

• Like 2

A proper septic system is expensive. You can put a cesspool tank in but that would mean someone needs to pump it out every few years. A composting toilet may be the answer. I use a very simple 5-gallon bucket built into a box with a seat. A few handfuls of sawdust or peat are tossed in after every use and once full it's dumped into a bin under straw. A year later the compost is tossed into the woods. 

When I got the pace I was going to put in a real composting toilet but this worked so well I left it. (You have to get over your fear of feces.)

Water is harder, so look for a place with a spring or natural water source. I have a spring close by that is captured in a 1000 gallon tank and pumped up to my cabin - a run of about 60 feet. That goes through a filter, into a pressure tank and water heater. While the water is good, I only use it for washing. I bring in bottled water to drink. 

Electric to me is the big one. I'm not a fan of the noise of generators so I would use a solar system. They are fairly cheap these days.  

All that said, you might be able to find a place with most of this in place. Or get Culver to build you a place. His looks pretty cool.

5 minutes ago, helmut in the bush said:

I've wanted to build a house from Intermodal shipping containers, I thought it would be a great thing for a deer camp too. You could buy it have it dropped close to home, do all or most of the improvements to the interior, and when your ready have it delivered to your property. You would have a secure inclosed structure, instant camp.

Guess I'm not the only one that thought of this.

https://community.legendarywhitetails.com/blog/15-awesome-shipping-container-hunting-cabins/

This is an interesting topic for me too!  I need to get the road in fixed on my dads/my property then I will be doing something in this vein.  What's fascinating to me is the battery technology + solar panels currently being developed.  I just had solar put on my house last year, and the rep I spoke to said the battery storage is really moving forward.

• Like 1

Culver - wondering about that woodstove setup.  Looks like a Vogelzang?  What is it sitting on?  Almost looks like marble tiles.  And... how did you deal with going thru the roof?  Section outside looks interesting.

Feel free to PM is concerned about hijacking thread - I was kinda thinking this is all relevant, but understand if others disagree.  

jm