3rd shift question

Swamp_bucks

I worked 3rd about 5 years ago at my plant and do to circumstances im going back.   I used to smoke havent in almost 3 years and thats what used to get me through the nights.   And im at the point i hate soda and coffee doesnt do it for me.  So does anyone have anything that helps them?  im going try to start going to the free gym at the factory. im going to go in early and try to work out hope to lose some weight and hope that wakes me up for the night.    Any advice would help greatly thanks.

When I worked nights at the FD, although we had bunks and got some sleep, I was always tired during the day . After I went to the gym late morning ,it always seemed to pick me up for the rest of the day .

Good luck . 

My daughter is a RN and goes from 12 hour days to 12 hour nights ( really closer to 13 plus with lunch and getting in early )  she doesn’t smoke or drink coffee ,she does work out and just pushes through it I guess .

I work nights alot but I'm a coffee drinker so that helps me out not to mention the more you work nights the more you get used to them at least that's how it was for me. I'm not condoning it but alot of the guys who don't drink coffee drinker those energy drinks like Red Bull and such but I know that's not the healthiest answer.I hope you figure out something that works for you working nights is definitely not for everyone.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

22 minutes ago, Tughill Tamer said:

I work nights alot but I'm a coffee drinker so that helps me out not to mention the more you work nights the more you get used to them at least that's how it was for me. I'm not condoning it but alot of the guys who don't drink coffee drinker those energy drinks like Red Bull and such but I know that's not the healthiest answer.I hope you figure out something that works for you working nights is definitely not for everyone.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Yea i worked it for 3.5 years before going to first.  It didnt bother me to much but when i smoked it seemed to help.  Hoping after a week or 2 ill be on some sort of system.  Gotta figure it out one way or another its the best thing for my family.

• Like 1

Your going to 3rd and I’m on my way to 1st. I’ve been on nights for about 7 years now. For the first 5 years I didn’t have much trouble staying awake. But these last 2 years it’s gotten much harder. I drink a cup of coffee here and there throughout the night but caffeine doesn’t really jolt me awake like it does for others. I’ve come to the point that I need to sit down between 2-4am and do short power naps, watch computer for a few mins to make sure mills are running ok, take another 10 min nap, back up to check computer, repeat until 4. Its become a real struggle some days to keep myself awake and going. I’m glad it’s almost over.

But a 1st shift bid opened up 2 weeks ago and when I came back from my week off I hear I got the bid. So in a few weeks I should be on the 5am-3pm schedule. I’ll really enjoy not having to take Friday nights off to enjoy a weekend off away at camp.

Jdubs and let em grow,  hit the nail on the head . I started drinking lots of water and I can feel the difference in my body when I do not get my daily fill. Also started eating healthy and same when I have a snack,  it makes me feel blah the next day.. 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 1

I worked the 10:30 pm to 7:00 am shift a few times, but only for two weeks at a time.   What worked best for me was a (2) hour nap when I got home, and a (5) hour sleep before I went in (I set the alarm for those times).   I tried sleeping 7-8 hours before work, but that did not work nearly as well.  I would almost fall asleep at the wheel, on the half-hour drive home, when I did that (usually when I was almost home).   That was what convinced me to take those short (2 hr) after-work naps, and they corrected the sleepy driving issues.      

Edited by wolc123