Kayak or Canoe

Which do you guys prefer to use for duck hunting? Ill mostly be using it to hunt on Long Island and also a little upstate on the wallkill river. The river does have some rapids if that dhanges anything. I was all for the kayak, until I realized the amount of strage is much better in a canoe and its a lot more stable than a kayak, but I like the ease of transport of the kayak

Do you plan to actually hunt out of it, or just use it to get to your spot?  I use a kayak to hunt on Long Island- just to get to my spot.  Storage can be an issue.  But, I don't pack a ton of gear.  I hunt salt water harbors/marshes on the North Shore and winds can be an issue.  I like the kayak because I think it handles wind better.

Just now, The_Real_TCIII said:

If your hunting out of it, canoe. I use my kayak to get to my spots and to retrieve. Shooting out of it would be a challenge in that position. I miss enough already

I agree.  I wouldn't feel safe shooting out of the kayak.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

*you're

HaHaHa.........better watch out Tacks, or the grammar police might getcha!!!!

Staying on topic.......I prefer a canoe. Much more stable, and can carry more stuff.

Edited by grampy
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, grampy said:

HaHaHa.........better watch out Tacks, or the grammar police might getcha!!!!

Staying on topic.......I prefer a canoe. Much more stable, and can carry more stuff.

I had to catch myself, preemptive strike!! AT if youre going to kayak fish I highly recommend a "sit on top" with a really good seat.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, virgil said:

Do you plan to actually hunt out of it, or just use it to get to your spot?  I use a kayak to hunt on Long Island- just to get to my spot.  Storage can be an issue.  But, I don't pack a ton of gear.  I hunt salt water harbors/marshes on the North Shore and winds can be an issue.  I like the kayak because I think it handles wind better.

Well I would mostly be using it as transportation to spots. At most I would sit in the kayak, but have it still attatched to the bank (or marsh) so I couldnt fall out of it. Shooting out of it is also something I was worried about so Im not sure ill be doing much of that. I may do a float trip once or twice in a small creek near where I deer hunt, but that may or may not happen. But the north Shore is also where ill be hunting out of a lot since I live close to Little Neck Bay and would probably be hunting Hempstead bay alot. 

3 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

If your hunting out of it, canoe. I use my kayak to get to my spots and to retrieve. Shooting out of it would be a challenge in that position. I miss enough already

I would also use it for fishing during the summer time as well. I missed some pretty easy shots the year (not that I had many to be honest lol) so I also miss enough as it is. 

I've used a kayak for floating squirrel hunts with a .22. It's a lot of fun picking them out of the trees, but I wouldn't want to shoot a shotgun from it. Even the canoe is a little dicey when touching off a heavy shotgun load. I guess it's a matter of tolerance. I don't want to go swimming in November when I'm 2+ miles from my truck.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I chose the sit on top for retrieval because more times than not we had breakers on the shore of Lady O that would fill up the regular kayak. I do like the way they fish better too. Harwood Lake in the deep fog!0m1D_-lYuDWVAC3e-gWX8PEoKdtHAA9F31YE5y3BxbMVklg7B_texfKsFm3W1x9hY8Biy2d-PlK8wHWsNpROxlBdWEhLLxQmx6hGPCRKsChuIjdyiZXDLXzskJNH4qx9zGWLt0VcykbF5LVshcBR5jzzgqZiNqFhESweMGuut9JbbwtcWA8O0HOsrK7L18ehh2hSE6WtZIFXpdE5SYXf_oiBFJnFzUOudKSd3rZZGMRbqP-80ZBg7iLf-kqI8GC9S1whX-tFro1629ghWoOWf-mWTozIHNfnmLDJVazKLa4xwZoPyGp8uwLgJ2W3TlpiFu3XpvplPAuOVbYIL8UZjdyIvg8x-pmXKhvtNkqblAnA0zf0GgpnV5HfE3ons_LwAWLrzyZBoXrvVTVReNSfhG-zfjeNehoXyp8LowcDGWF4sdk22FzUb3yJkOEug1j6BobN4Dk7nFAQ_Nq_C-NGdBNp4WVq74fQ2oycterijHi5gN2d8ttb40nbNi6-8_XuSb85QDh_QGVxdT8_khCbTAHauTZV56BVWHl-TwQyA01gy89RvNeSQmI3luhJoh4WGQ3ede1UK_F0s5PrsH5NdXodF7uIZhGNS7rmjcfqxHA_D867qvf7ZMHVHl0g4Dzg_m4modqixafV6laSxl-ZYmWZ=w600-h450-no9Y0gJw_8pp1P0F-RBsRv4_dlVWcNQWifsxDvdumpKWAc48etmMVanKLHDkHs4uEWJXdU6NP_v4aaxZcHoeRl5nMq1bUg2Pa-IWnY0WneDL4XU5uMxZAlDSSmhJhr0_M07Nm8jxGd5iPGMVo5KtmKxZMQARtRJzvT1K5OhQtsKPXhNK4TPgwagse_ho00td78w87kdUaG10VGVQIDtgKSIFJ_zXHVEhv-9WMR9i7WWp-2wpDev-I-MCMeQ1TYMRT4pTV6jj8f0QOK7aAWmq88N8vtoTl3jlwyqNODA3D3wB6uPTbpSPhn4-J5QTEJ8BfKHiKQjIpHBqidSQFA-5xJ4wxOZERKnfkbfCjnuUy6aa5r0NOtSYichDKXKsYFn_ki8iadn5-qDf5VbIrqU8_i8DCMmhkvAkivA01SbXc6LGra6Vi-xcC-hd3TF2oqKRkhkhgXesjgqMI9ovQtcf821kg0ks87SK4vJTeYG6LEFX_KQ1s2FTTR2zLXBhhwbc2HboG9IbynHbrTrJlWPBrbG_2u6vGsl7HBapdWv2LVOJt2SUXVy225KneAJ_LaVx9d6zMXB-YzTmYL5X-XX8il02zX2nRHIKQv-zjnbgxTjM1tdRzK1tYzWATeBF0vxNkKyxz2ox5C9VlVNyMNF6lUi3I3=w1292-h969-nojBwdamJ14Xfu3B21AeMM_GK_N_thmwBfKseGRFFejp8rpgtoiaDKhArpmLwbHfct2cOq9_0Sy8i3BFlSQxId3G_BFYNgiR2SHg10jK1DQ5u5jn7kR7OhKvnExjm2KXgiAmgGEpMAwdO98cz-DmXyYEozDsQHxd91BW9E6HahvN4uBbIIggVnIm3wpXlPdL0S8AWjUXd6cz6dTvompcR-US9YbNbgguDWS-QGJNhoiUOmG0UpC-5HEEodGXqJYhsk6WvdnXcWEh90IwaY_GA8IEjQyxWL7idomM-C_PMVrjyiK9EZ_iTjnygeLWh8b7QC_IeYhDERFTpMoLyddB2ysaadz3MUfDV5Kjx7m9r2U1WN94-tFwyaqRQRO5aMRDBGEPTr9KdyeltfJY1zRn7WM46vMW_RS6KCzbLiyH2XIQP3EFdsstIfxLWe20cLZaY-B0YoCb5y_a5dLfsY1pHgDVheOEpp_3Hvr07BiLkaiPBjZ6msdQsDrJ-E-XbhlzXmquhXumqqq-E5VrL-Axa1Edic4JYKl2XOLrTOQqeMujC_WKD-slGdeMWT7C4UQBR-jjGUK0yyxhg567DhAkmcVLKeIs_S0eoVFOdaOK52Qfq_CuAm9GgWzvFUWzOsZz2xI4wnZ-ugY2HrBBxIBhiVnUYl=w1292-h969-no

A sit on top is exactly what I was thinking. How many decoys can you usually carry?

20 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

A sit on top is exactly what I was thinking. How many decoys can you usually carry?

I dont take many but can get two big sacks on there so 36 anyway. Those sacks float too so you can drag one behind if youre not going terribly far. That Perch River trip is like 4.8 miles of hell, you learn to live with a handful of decoys lol

2 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I dont take many but can get two big sacks on there so 36 anyway. Those sacks float too so you can drag one behind if youre not going terribly far. That Perch River trip is like 4.8 miles of hell, you learn to live with a handful of decoys lol

Oh i was thinking it was going to be somewhere in the 18-24 decoy range. I only have 12 right now so looks like Ill be able to bring all of them, plus a few floating goose decoys.

11 hours ago, ATbuckhunter said:

a lot more stable than a kayak,

A generalization that may not be accurate. Too many variables.  My kayak is probably more stable than my flatter bottomed canoe and many many many times more stable than my rounder bottomed one. lol     But I'm still more likely to get wet with the kayak, and if I were going out in the COLD  water,  I'd take my flatter canoe (and sit low, maybe on the floor) 

Edited by cas
  • Like 2

I’d go with the kayak but the right one. I have a wilderness kayak for about 6 years now. It’s very stable and they call it a hybrid cause of its stability. I could easily carry 3 dozen floaters and I use it as a layout in the marsh. Just lat year I bought a Hellbender so I can carry twice as much including my dog. 

068009AD-7EC9-43F0-A9E7-6E072BBDBD5C.jpeg

4C27A3C7-4965-4212-AD2F-08742CB1FDDA.jpeg

• Like 4

We have used kayaks before, but that means 2 or more vessels for you and your hunting party. Also, we have to cover them with burlap to hide them at our set.
We found this Grunman aluminum canoe for cheap and camoed it up ourselves. Great for 2ppl and we can take a third person too.
fb968f2f967bd7cf6c0146d73856e7c7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I have a 12' shallow V aluminum row boat, though I havent used it for hunting yet, it seems like it would be good for holding some gear and even transporting game.  Another Idea would be maybe a 10' Jon Boat.  Super stable, roomy, and can be transported without a trailer in the bed of a truck, or as a car topper.

21 hours ago, loworange88 said:

I have a 12' shallow V aluminum row boat, though I havent used it for hunting yet, it seems like it would be good for holding some gear and even transporting game.  Another Idea would be maybe a 10' Jon Boat.  Super stable, roomy, and can be transported without a trailer in the bed of a truck, or as a car topper.

Ive thought about it, but the ease loading and unloading the kayak is making me lean towards a yak. I also don't have a truck at the moment so a kayak is going to be easier to transport. Still considering the Jon boat though