Identification help part 2....

G-Man

Cool that you received a response from someone in the business. But the grey/black squirrel comment confused me. Is he saying that black is a color phase of a grey squirrel?

I always thought (based on urban legends of course) that black squirrels were relatively unique to areas by NYC and rare in the woods beyond. The story I always heard was about squirrels either escaped the zoo or Ringling Brother Circus many many moons ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve seen a few in Putnam. But always when deer hunting with gun so no point in shooting. I’d love to see one with bow tho.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I’ve seen a few in Putnam. But always when deer hunting with gun so no point in shooting. I’d love to see one with bow tho.

Dark colored Tree rats You see them all the time  in lower Westchester.  

Edited by Hunter007
  • Like 1

Bring the bow to my school- you can plunk one from my classroom window. I’m sure the parents won’t mind.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, G-Man said:

Yes black is just a variation of the grey squirrel. I have many at my place ,I only allow someone to shoot one if they are gonna mount it.. plenty of normal grey to eat...

They’re an occasional to rare sighting around here. I’m with you on the no shoot policy. I’ve only taken one, and he hangs out in the living room with us now.

9A720D09-953E-4C9F-A99A-DE34884FA0E4.jpeg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, crappyice said:

Cool that you received a response from someone in the business. But the grey/black squirrel comment confused me. Is he saying that black is a color phase of a grey squirrel?

I always thought (based on urban legends of course) that black squirrels were relatively unique to areas by NYC and rare in the woods beyond. The story I always heard was about squirrels either escaped the zoo or Ringling Brother Circus many many moons ago.

in the northern end of the state by the St. lawrence river there are lots of them.  

• Like 1

I would say cinnamon! a beauty for sure. We had a very pretty cinnamon, and a darker more brown bear last year on cam in Steuben. the smaller darker bear came back through many times. and I believe this big beauty cinnamon was just seen towards prattsburg a couple weeks ago. 

Screenshot_20190724-062051_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20190724-062104_Photos.jpg

• Like 11

Great pic's G-Man!!  What a beautiful bear!! You really have a great property out there!!!

We have some bears here in the hilltowns of Albany county, but I've never seen any other than just the black phase here. Though over the years, I have heard others say they've seen a lighter color phase bear on their land.

I have had opportunities to shoot some bears over the years, (while deer hunting) but have passed on them all. Some big boars too! I really like seeing them out there, and don't really want to kill one for just the hide or mount. As the few times I've eaten bear meat, I didn't really care for it. Though those were ADK bears. Perhaps a home grown one would taste better??? IDK.

Every year my hunting partner and I say "maybe if I get a chip shot at a really BIG one, I'll shoot it"? But we haven't so far.

This year though, if we get a BIG one that keeps showing up, I'm calling moog to come east for a hunt!! 

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Hopefully no cats around to scare those bears off.  

5448520E-1DF8-4457-A837-220CEF91C65A.png

My cat chases bear and deer, she chases the deer toward me at least.. when she loses intrest sitting in the stand with me...

• Like 2

Just checked a couple of my cams.. and the darker of my 2 color phase bears from last year showed back up.. its a nice video but cant upload it here. So couple snaps will do. Hes sniffing out the annhilated hemp rope hanging62ba44b6b0c594e683478c2b9890dfa3.jpg75156d5f51edb29cff237e05df585436.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 7:26 PM, G-Man said:

American chestnut

How long does it take for a chestnut tree to start producing nuts? I have an area i'd like to add two trees,oak takes to long to produce nuts. Fruit trees where my other option.The area is 50'x100' 

31 minutes ago, rachunter said:

How long does it take for a chestnut tree to start producing nuts? I have an area i'd like to add two trees,oak takes to long to produce nuts. Fruit trees where my other option.The area is 50'x100' 

Depending on size you start with 2 to 3 year for larger , 10 years from a nut. 50 x100  I would do 4 or 5 chestnuts. ( need 2 to cross pollinate and if one were to die you would only have 1)

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Beauty- are there things to be done(besides baiting) that can keep bear around? Avoiding the property would be my first guess.

That is one of the most used places on my property,I check that came ever 2 or 3 days and he showed up 4 hours after I had loked at it while trimming out the stand, it's my main logging road and is driven or walked by every other day or so. 

Imo food and cover are most important.behind that Aspen is 3 acres of apples on the top of a ravine, it's a natural funnel. All game has to cross there or face a steep hill up and down. In my case this is the big.factor just a good natural funnel.with food . The second part is cover , the property is thick, most hunters would.feel closterphobic in most.of.my.stands though I place them.on a natural or.man made.opening you can only.see 20.to.50 yards tops out of them. I do extensive logging and habitat work to keep it that way. Surrounding properties are open hardwoods so all game feel safer where they are not visible for 100 yards or more. It also make hunting easier as I dont miss at 20 to 40 yards.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...