Youth hunt this weekend!

G-Man

So youth hunt this coming weekend , my 2 youngest nephews are eligible this year, the older isnt able to hunt sat as hes working his job at local tea shop. So the youngest is up 1st. This kid has no qualms about recoil unlike his brother. So I'll prolly get him set up on my largest field.  His brother will be down for sun mon. Hes recoil shy so will be using a 357 lever rifle, shots will have to be short so he will prolly be in bow stand turkeyfeathers took his doe out of.  Hope they can both get a deer this weekend, they aren't buck hungry and will take a doe so chances are pretty good. Here's hoping!!!

• Like 23

Due to varsity football commitments, my grandson only has Sunday the 13th to hunt this youth weekend. I'll bring him to the spot where I was surrounded by 25 to 30 deer, over the course of last Saturday morning. Mostly doe's and fawns, but did see three bucks too. One of them was a mature ten point with stickers, a true giant!!! This spot is a travel pinch point. So no guarantee that any, or all of them will show up? This is a notorious all or nothing spot. But I think for early season, it's the best spot I have to kill "a deer". 

We talked yesterday, and I asked if he is still set on taking only a buck? He told me that maybe he will shoot a doe, just to get the first one under his belt. But he will decide for sure while we are out there. I told him, you shoot whatever makes you happy, and to be happy with what you shoot. I refuse to put any pressure on him whatsoever. He puts enough on himself with everything he does. I want our time together in the deer woods to be a fun and relaxed time for us both.

So who knows what this Sunday will bring???

Stay tuned. I'll post whatever happens here.

• Like 16

Good luck guys.  

I'll be taking both of my grandnephews out Saturday. It's a better afternoon spot, but we'll give it a shot in the morning.  Dominic is up first, as his brother Kayden took a 4pt last youth season.  Of course Dom wants to get a buck like his brother, but said a nice fat doe will work too.  Lol.

Going scouting tomorrow and Fri evening. 

• Like 5

So youth hunt this coming weekend , my 2 youngest nephews are eligible this year, the older isnt able to hunt sat as hes working his job at local tea shop. So the youngest is up 1st. This kid has no qualms about recoil unlike his brother. So I'll prolly get him set up on my largest field.  His brother will be down for sun mon. Hes recoil shy so will be using a 357 lever rifle, shots will have to be short so he will prolly be in bow stand turkeyfeathers took his doe out of.  Hope they can both get a deer this weekend, they aren't buck hungry and will take a doe so chances are pretty good. Here's hoping!!!
May want to check the regs, I'm pretty sure you can't be in a stand ? I know that was the rule years ago. Either way, good luck to the youts !

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

May want to check the regs, I'm pretty sure you can't be in a stand ? I know that was the rule years ago. Either way, good luck to the youts !

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Yep it's the rule. Anyone know why? Safety? Stands are part of the process these days. Kinda hard to figure this out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I would think they are trying to be extra safe for the kids. That is why you/ they can't be in a stand.
I agree though that being in a stand is part of the charm and experience of hunting. 

I’m sure it’s a BS concession that had to made to some wuss to get this passed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Why do some think it's such a bad thing to hunt from the ground with a kid?  It could be just as exciting on the ground and one doesn't need to worry about the kid squirming around 15 feet or more above the ground in a tree stand.  Plenty of deer get shot from the ground.

Screen Shot 2019-10-09 at 8.36.28 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-09 at 8.38.28 AM.png

On 10/8/2019 at 5:39 AM, biggamefish said:

I would think they are trying to be extra safe for the kids. That is why you/ they can't be in a stand.

I agree though that being in a stand is part of the charm and experience of hunting. 

They must have an adult right with them to gun hunt the youth season and can't be in a stand at 14-15 BUT you can bow hunt at 12 and can be in the stand all by themselves for that. Typical NY senselessness. 

• Like 7

Well, I'm down to one grandnephew.  The oldest(15) is hunting something else tomorrow.  Lol.

Dom is so excited he can't sit still. He's asking me every question he can think of, some of them twice. 

We seen 6 bucks this evening in on the property were hunting in the morning.  But he said if the first deer is a big doe that gives him a ethical shot, he's taking it.  

Good luck everyone.  Looking forward to seeing some huge smiles.  

• Like 2

Good luck to all the youth hunters and their mentors this weekend!!!!

Got more info on my youth hunter. If they win the game tonight no practice on Sunday. They are leading at half time 34 to 0.. He's playing like he's possessed ! A sack and a bunch of tackles on D. And opening huge holes for the backs on O.

But.....if there is no practice, he will be taking a cheerleader to fright fest!

What???  C'mon man!

LOL !!!!   Hey I get it. I was a young buck once too.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, grampy said:

Good luck to all the youth hunters and their mentors this weekend!!!!

Got more info on my youth hunter. If they win the game tonight no practice on Sunday. They are leading at half time 34 to 0.. He's playing like he's possessed ! A sack and a bunch of tackles on D. And opening huge holes for the backs on O.

But.....if there is no practice, he will be taking a cheerleader to fright fest!

What???  C'mon man!

LOL !!!!   Hey I get it. I was a young buck once too.

A: Kill nice buck with Grampy at 8:00 am

B: Take cutie cheerleader out in the evening. 

Win-win!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

A: Kill nice buck with Grampy at 8:00 am

B: Take cutie cheerleader out in the evening. 

Win-win!

Makes perfect sense to me?  But I don't know if he's thinking about a nice buck at this time?.....lol

Like I said , I've never put any pressure on him to go. And won't start now. We'll have our time.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, grampy said:

Makes perfect sense to me?  But I don't know if he's thinking about a nice buck at this time?.....lol

Like I said , I've never put any pressure on him to go. And won't start now. We'll have our time.

Sounds like my oldest grandnephew.  He's activity hunting a two legged doe.  

Poor kid will ultimately realize his error.   Maybe.., 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2