Eating a merganser

Al Bundy

i used to eat megies all the time when I duck hunted the jersey shore (shrewsbury river, barnegate bay, mullica). Soak it in some italian dressing for a while and pan cook in the dressing. Not to bad - eat what ya can, give the rest to the dog! Also used to use them for meat baits when catfishing. Luv me a good megie!

• Like 1

I am looking for an advisory but have not found one yet. Only thing I found was a Canadian study from 2014 saying eastern mergansers did not have harmful levels of mercury.

Any links?? If this is on a warning list, I think Ill pass.. 

Incidentally for anyone who saw my  duck thread, I missed an easy shot sat. Realized I had my full choke for snow geese in!! Put in a modified and dropped this merganser sunday morning. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cdbing said:

Does not taste good, but you need to try it to know. Tastes like fishy liver (to me anyway), which is not a great combination.

They eat fish and definitely take on that fish taste, cbding said it best....

https://www.health.ny.gov/publications/2800.pdf

Edited by Salmon_Run
add info

32 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

Thinking about it.. I dropped one on Sunday and breasted it out.  Never tried one before but feeling kind of brave.  Anyone????

I just saw an article on cooking mergansers Ducks Unlimited last month.....it did involve a brine soak.  I'll see if I can find it tonight and post it for you.  

• Like 1

I always wondered if any migratory bird would be a risk to eat? I mean what if the last stop was in a leakage puddle next to a toxic dump. Or Onondaga Lake. Or a pesticide filled golf course pond...... Just always wondered if it is kind of like roulette!!

2 hours ago, Al Bundy said:

I am looking for an advisory but have not found one yet. Only thing I found was a Canadian study from 2014 saying eastern mergansers did not have harmful levels of mercury.

Any links?? If this is on a warning list, I think Ill pass.. 

Incidentally for anyone who saw my  duck thread, I missed an easy shot sat. Realized I had my full choke for snow geese in!! Put in a modified and dropped this merganser sunday morning. 

Switch to IC and you'll kill more ducks AND geese....

Theres an advisory out against eating any diving ducks so that would be a no from me. I generally pass them because I wont eat them
I'm not doubting you just have not seen this, do you have a link available?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

https://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/wildlife_pdf/wfregsbrochure17.pdf

second page down at the bottom left hand side

Thanks for the info, I was wondering also if wood ducks were in the same category, but see they are contaminated less.

I copy and pasted from the link in case someone could not bring it up

Health Advisory Mergansers are the most heavily contaminated waterfowl species and should not be eaten. Eat no more than two meals per month of other wild waterfowl; you should skin them and remove all fat before cooking and discard stuffing after cooking. Wood ducks and Canada geese are less contaminated than other wild waterfowl species, and diving ducks are more contaminated than dabbler ducks.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1