Kobe bryant

Swamp_bucks

9 hours ago, Rattler said:

Not being a sports fanatic, the name Kobe brings up recollections of a married father of a 3 month old that was charged with rape.  But "green privilege" allowed him to avoid life in prison and only cost him a bundle of cash to settle with the victim and lost endorsements.  Seems like the sports world will forgive anything for the almighty dollar.

People tend to see what they wish to see in a person, often giving "idols", albeit false ones, a pass.

Adultery and rape on the resume.  Class act?

Any life lost is a terrible thing, and all who died deserve our sympathy, but I won't eulogize in denial.  May God have mercy on his soul.

Reminds me of,hmmm,a president?

10 hours ago, Rattler said:

Not being a sports fanatic, the name Kobe brings up recollections of a married father of a 3 month old that was charged with rape.  But "green privilege" allowed him to avoid life in prison and only cost him a bundle of cash to settle with the victim and lost endorsements.  Seems like the sports world will forgive anything for the almighty dollar.

People tend to see what they wish to see in a person, often giving "idols", albeit false ones, a pass.

Adultery and rape on the resume.  Class act?

Any life lost is a terrible thing, and all who died deserve our sympathy, but I won't eulogize in denial.  May God have mercy on his soul.

jesus what a troll. Your antisports nonsense can sit and spin. Sports may not be important to you, but the death of a guy like this surely should shed a light on how big a deal it is to others, especially the thousands of young african american youth he inspired to be their best. 

Edited by Belo

14 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

Reminds me of,hmmm,a president?

My sympathies to all those that died and to those left behind. I imagine both Pres. Trump and Kobe did some things in their past that they regretted doing. The difference to me is that Kobe's specific trouble with an alleged rape charge was dealt with behind the scenes through attorneys, payoff probably made to his accuser, the scheduled trial was dismissed and the issue was dropped by the news and sports media, largely because the media liked Kobe, being that he was the beloved face of the NBA marketing machine at that time. He gets a pass. He was not going to go to jail. 

Trump may have covered up stuff too, but the media suddenly did not like him when he runs for president, the media does not give him the consideration Kobe seemed to have gotten, and relentlessly dug through decades of their Trump video archives to find a way to incriminate him the best they could, which continues to this day. Imagine Media will stomp on Trumps grave the first chance they get, but not a "beloved" sports figure.

I agree with Rattler and will not eulogize Kobe's passing in denial.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Belo said:

jesus what a troll. Your antisports nonsense can sit and spin. Sports may not be important to you, but the death of a guy like this surely should shed a light on how big a deal it is to others, especially the thousands of young african american youth he inspired to be their best. 

I don't completely agree with his statement but can very well understand where it came from. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cbyzerman said:

Come on lets call a spade a spade..........   That "skank" was looking for a pay day

Wonder what the tune would be if it was your daughter who was raped by Kobe?

Lucky it did not take place today, the "Me Too" mob would have had a field day.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I don't completely agree with his statement but can very well understand where it came from. 

See below. It's not even been 24 hours and the troll comes out. Every espn piece of his legacy has included it as well. They're not just ignoring it. He who casts the first stone.

31 minutes ago, Hock3y24 said:

I could give a shit less about Kobe, he did some real questionable things but I’m not gonna trash talk a dead guy. I do feel bad for his family and others who died especially the children. 

45 minutes ago, Belo said:

See below. It's not even been 24 hours and the troll comes out. Every espn piece of his legacy has included it as well. They're not just ignoring it. He who casts the first stone.

The part of the story that weighs heaviest on me is the family he left behind . 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Merlot said:

My sympathies to all those that died and to those left behind. I imagine both Pres. Trump and Kobe did some things in their past that they regretted doing. The difference to me is that Kobe's specific trouble with an alleged rape charge was dealt with behind the scenes through attorneys, payoff probably made to his accuser, the scheduled trial was dismissed and the issue was dropped by the news and sports media, largely because the media liked Kobe, being that he was the beloved face of the NBA marketing machine at that time. He gets a pass. He was not going to go to jail. 

Trump may have covered up stuff too, but the media suddenly did not like him when he runs for president, the media does not give him the consideration Kobe seemed to have gotten, and relentlessly dug through decades of their Trump video archives to find a way to incriminate him the best they could, which continues to this day. Imagine Media will stomp on Trumps grave the first chance they get, but not a "beloved" sports figure.

I agree with Rattler and will not eulogize Kobe's passing in denial.

There is a difference between an accomplished athlete and a president when it comes to past behavior.

Bryant's allegations weren't dealt with "behind the scenes". The accuser refused to testify and the DA dropped the charges. That's telling in some way. She then sued and settled out of court. Smart move on both their parts.. However, the "media" (whatever that means) did not drop incident and there was plenty of coverage during that period which is why we're discussing it. In fact, NBC mentioned it in their second segment on Bryant today.    

There was semen from a second man found in the underwear she wore to get her rape test done that doomed her case.  Defense said it was inconsistent with a rape victim to have a sexual encounter with another person right after she was raped.  She claimed it was dirty laundry she wore and the semen was from an encounter she had prior to Kobe.  There was also conflicting witnesses.  Some said she looked bothered when she left the hotel, others said she was normal.  She also claimed Kobe forced her to wash her face afterwards.  Later she recanted and said she washed up on her own outside of his room.  There was a lot more evidence that clouded her story than re-affirming it.  The whole thing was just fishy.

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Can we have one thread without Bill Clinton coming up?

Or any politics for that matter. Good lord, the guy was a basketball player, give the Trump and Clinton crap a rest for once. Im not a basketball fan, or a Kobe Bryant fan, but damn.

All further comments in this thread that even mention politics in any way shape or form will be deleted. Any trash talking about the people that died in this accident will also be deleted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Conditions where they took off were fine.  They flew into fog near the end.  Other flights were also in the area.  LAPD grounded their helo's but they are often "over cautious".  The pilot can fly "visual flight reference" (VFR) when he can see.  The pilot requested "special visual flight reference" (SVFR) flight, meaning ground radar would help guide him and warn him of other traffic nearby. 

He could've asked for "Instrument Flight Rating" (IFR) which would let him see in the fog with the instruments, but that required FAA approval, which takes time and might be denied.

The last radio message sent to the pilot was that he was too low to follow on radar.  The pilot replied he was climbing to 2500 ft.  No further radio communication with the helo after that.

Many pilots succumb to what's know as "get-it-there-itis".  They want to accomplish the mission, and with a huge celebrity client on board, it may become even more desirable.  A big risk was taken.  Too big.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Elmo said:

There was semen from a second man found in the underwear she wore to get her rape test done that doomed her case.  Defense said it was inconsistent with a rape victim to have a sexual encounter with another person right after she was raped.  She claimed it was dirty laundry she wore and the semen was from an encounter she had prior to Kobe.  There was also conflicting witnesses.  Some said she looked bothered when she left the hotel, others said she was normal.  She also claimed Kobe forced her to wash her face afterwards.  Later she recanted and said she washed up on her own outside of his room.  There was a lot more evidence that clouded her story than re-affirming it.  The whole thing was just fishy.

I completely forget where I saw this, but I was watching a news piece (can't remember source) but it was a recent one (meaning 2-3 years ago). A co-worker of the claimant said she had a discussion with her in between the initial meeting with Kobe for the tour and then the second encounter, that the claimant said she was "going to have his baby." Apparently the co-worker was concerned about getting involved and that it never came out in early parts of the investigation due to the EEs fear of getting involved in a high-profile case. It was the actual co-worker on the news piece - a female; and she said it was verbatim. Going to have his baby.