Found this butchering a deer(bloody pictures)

rachunter

My brother got a button buck here on Long Island. I told him I’d butcher it up. He said I can have the whole deer. When I looked in I noticed the spine looked bent after skinning it I could see it definitely broke it’s back or was born like that. The disc where huge for a 6-8 month old. Got to the back legs decided to give my friend a bone in roast started cutting but couldn’t get throw? After a little moving I got it that’s when I noticed a metal rod sticking out of the inside of the tibia?

e23eac16bd24ce73d7ee9dc7d3b5ff47.jpg

I can’t figure out how it got there? Here’s a few more pictures 68cabb69bb4afb82abcbc4fe81c353b4.jpgeaab6811148b98c911611aab8bdd0377.jpg

It looks surgical very sharp with threads on the tip and snipped on the other side.

Left out the pictures of the spine don’t want to gross anyone out.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm curious about the spine.  I don't think many members who have field dressed a deer are gonna be too grossed out by that man.  We've been up to our elbows in it!  

That is fricking weird about that rod.  Fell on something?

Thinking about it, maybe like Rob said it got hit in the road and a vet fixed it up?  Broken leg / back?

Edited by UpStateRedNeck

Here’s the pictures of the spine. The disc are the size of golf balls.
9925b48861d868f42594d88067603c1a.jpg0d004bef537c8ff4d2e4eccaf5e99083.jpgcaba0fa2a4e86bae99baffaccbc54061.jpg
I’ve found a lot of things wrong with deer over the years but nothing like this. I’m sending my buddy the pictures his daughter is a vet maybe she’ll know.

Ok for the rod = surgery. But WTF is up with the spine? It must have been moving oddly prior to your buddy shooting it? I would think that spine impacts the gait? Did he know ahead of time and make a “mercy kill?”

Extra large, golf ball size = something went wrong. I don’t know if I care to consume (nor do I thankfully have the necessity to consume) “wrong” meat.