So you think you know coyotes in NY? Do you?

19 hours ago, blackbeltbill said:

You are the Perfect example of someone who can write ( long-winded) and still say nothing..   How can a guy who eats ( BuckNuts) be afraid of insects in the Spring?!  Stay on your Boat . Don't worry about yourself calling in a Tom in the Spring. Not happening.

spacer.png

No one knows our land, or our situation better than we do. We'll continue doing what needs to be done, twenty four seven, three sixty five. Every chance we get. Without a hint of guilt or remorse.

That said, I do respect the coyote for what it is. And if their numbers were not so overwhelming here, I could even live in peace with them. But that is not the case here. So we try to control the numbers any way we can. Like some have stated in this thread, I feel there should be no closed season on them.

• Like 8

15 hours ago, Belo said:

dude Nat Geo? They're one of the biggest promulgators of anti-hunting BS out there... 

Yeah, but it is the only program out there that actually acknowledges the existence of the Eastern Coyote and minimally mentions they're differences, and that they do not follow any of the "normal" routines of their much smaller western cousins.

They could have gone much deeper into the trouble they can and do cause in areas like upstate NY, but chose to avoid that for some reason, probably to avoid upsetting the usual warm and fuzzy narrative they support.  They don't want a 24/7/365 day hunting season on them, that's for sure.

• Like 1

Eastern coyotes are opportunistic omnivores and will prey on whatever is available and easy to kill or scavenge. Though they are known to take anything from mice to moose,[24] the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources lists their main prey items as rabbits, hares, and deer in the winter and small mammals, wild berries, birds, amphibians, and grasshoppers in the summer.[25]

Their diet shifts with the changing seasons. It can include, but is not limited to, insects and berries during summer and small mammals in the fall and winter. As winter becomes harder later in the season, larger game such as the white-tailed deer become targeted.   In spring fawns are targeted instead.

3 hours ago, Rattler said:

They could have gone much deeper into the trouble they can and do cause in areas like upstate NY, but chose to avoid that for some reason, probably to avoid upsetting the usual warm and fuzzy narrative they support.  They don't want a 24/7/365 day hunting season on them, that's for sure.

I do not trap but based off the little i know about trapping, do you think the reason we dont have a 24/7/365 season is because the dec keeps trappers in mind?   Prime fur is in the winter months where people who do trap for money get the most bang for their buck.  Thats why i always assumed we dont have a year round season. 

2 hours ago, Rattler said:

No, I sincerely believe the DEC wants to protect the yote pups during that time and allow the yotes to deplete the fawns in order to minimize deer numbers, because that's what they accomplish by closing the yote season.

The DEC stance on coyotes is pretty clear. I'd bet a large sum of money that the season is more related to reducing human/nature interaction. Give some breathing room to newly born fawns, polts and other animals that need a break from humans. There are serious issues out west right now with Elk right now because of this. Shed hunters and more recreators aren't giving them the normal time to recover from the fall rut and hunting pressure. Winter weakens, spring kills. 

that and people don't like gun fire. 

I Hike Year round in Orange County and Passaic County NJ and while the Wild Turkey numbers are very High, I believe those numbers could be much Higher. As a Hiker, I would say in the last 5 Years, I have heard alot more Coyotes out on the Trail. As a Fall Turkey Hunter, I learned just how intelligent Coyotes are!  Two Fall Seasons ago, I parked up at ( Famous) Candle Road in Sterling Forest. I knew where a Flock was Roosting and at 1hour+ 15 minutes before Sunrise. In the Pitch Dark, I was standing in position and about 70 yards away from a well known Roost area. I was not there more then 3 minutes when no more then 40 yards away from me ( AND IN THE TURKEY ROOST AREA)- all Hell Broke loose with Howling,Yipping,+ Barking. The Coyotes Winded me and they were out of there fast as Lightening!  And while, I have to be very Frugal, I always spend the money for the Brightest Flashlight, I can buy. I had that out quick to keep them running.    If Coyotes Statewide have learned to Silently Bed down under a Fall Turkey Flock, I can see how numbers would Dip if 2 or 3 half awake Turkeys were quickly picked off at Fly-down.                Hint-- Try XXXXXX Road for Coyote Hunting! You need a Sterling Forest Hunting Permit.  Travel down XXXXXXX and ( XXXX) XXXXX Road. Small parking area is at the XXXX and (XXXX) a 400,000+ XXXX. The small XXXXX is on State Land as well as a XXXXXX with a State Land XXXXXXD  . I don't know  if it is the same Homeowner now-- but in the past this Guy would try to block Hunters from accessing that State Land Hunting area on XXXXXX Road. Meanwhile- he has 2 ATVs parked next to his Home! ATVs are Illegal in Sterling Forest State Park. I WILL NEVER upload a map for any wanting to Coyote Hunt off of XXXXXXX Road.

That's supposed to be a secret!!!!! Now quick edit your post

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

Seriously man, were you traumatized by a coyote when you were young? Where is this fetish/fear/obsession coming from? I get everyone has an opinion but you've started like 5 threads to "coyote hate" and they've all taken the same path... There has to be more to this...

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Look, it's coyote hunting season.  During deer season people here post many threads about deer hunting, right?  Is it not expected during the yote season many posts about yotes would appear?  If you are not interested in the subject, why are you following my posts?  Or is it that you are obsessed with defending yotes at every turn?  That's a fetish/love/obsession, is it not?

Ignore the signs if you want.  I just happen to be interested in this subject and the fact is, these animals are not going away, they do adapt and they are becoming a problem.  Do you think NY DEC put out an advisory on yotes to scare people or troll the internet?  It's called a "preemptive approach to problem solving".  The DEC is anticipating problems based on their data and science.  Is the DEC fear mongering now?

I can understand where you're coming from because you don't live with them.  But I cannot understand your not knowing where people who live with them are coming from.  Perhaps when you do live with them soon, you will come to understand.

Coyotes are smart , no doubt . They’ve learned to adapt. In all my years of deer hunting I’ve seen 2 , 1 black phase during ML season and almost got off a shot. And this past year in ML when I had the hammer back on it until a 35 mph gust of wind hit me as I was slowly putting pressure on the trigger and let off. Numerous times I’ve had them sneak in to spring turkey calls. One came in 3x and snuck out , rinse and repeat. There’s a season for them and I’ve still never killed one. 60e533bde78d4171916f5c8c83a33c40.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, chrisw said:

Seriously man, were you traumatized by a coyote when you were young? Where is this fetish/fear/obsession coming from? I get everyone has an opinion but you've started like 5 threads to "coyote hate" and they've all taken the same path... There has to be more to this...

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Definitely something going on there. Notice he assumes we have no coyote experience. They walk up my driveway regularly. Occasionally, we see them during the day.  I shooed one away when it came walking towards the dog.

The only coyote anyone in my family killed somehow got locked inside the tall high tensile perimeter fence with the sheep. It hadn't harmed anything but it also couldn't be persuaded to exit through an open gate. 

I really don't understand this fear and hatred. I don't deny there are problem animals that kill livestock. However, my local yotes do no harm here. I don't want them killed so potentially problematic animals may move in. Better the yotes I know........

22 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Definitely something going on there. Notice he assumes we have no coyote experience. They walk up my driveway regularly. Occasionally, we see them during the day.  I shooed one away when it came walking towards the dog.

The only coyote anyone in my family killed somehow got locked inside the tall high tensile perimeter fence with the sheep. It hadn't harmed anything but it also couldn't be persuaded to exit through an open gate. 

I really don't understand this fear and hatred. I don't deny there are problem animals that kill livestock. However, my local yotes do no harm here. I don't want them killed so potentially problematic animals may move in. Better the yotes I know........

I wasn't talking about you not having experience, just Chris. 

In your case I suspect the yotes don't bother the sheep because you're feeding them plenty of stuff to keep them happy so they have no need to expend energy to kill the sheep.  I can see no other reason they don't take any of your sheep at all.  That would be my guess.  I'm sure they have become like pets and part of your family.

Feeding the alligator just means you're the one it will eat last.

Not sure how many times I have to correct you guys, but once again, it's not fear and hatred, it's intolerance.  Check the definitions of those works in the dictionary and maybe you'll be able to comprehend the concept.

No matter.  I'll keep posting info for those who aren't convinced they don't pose a problem.

15 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Funny thing, I've seen plenty and killed 4 while deer hunting (three in NYS, one in Colorado) but never had one come into a turkey call in the spring.

Happens all the time, but you will never see them if they see you first.