Tight Lee Dies

I have only reloaded 308's before.  I had bought a set of 223 Lee Dies just for the heck of it.  Figure I'll play around with it and maybe increase performance.  I started the de-priming/full-resizing die and as a few cases, the cases would get stuck.  I mean to the point where it would bend the rim and pull right out of it's seat.  I would have to remove the top of the die and hammer out the case with a hammer pin.  Some times the -de-primer pin would come right out stuck to the neck of the case.  I would use the lube but that's just get me through 5-6 rounds before it starts getting stiff again.  Am I doing something wrong?  I'm using cheap American Eagle once fired cases.

Are they 5.56 cases?  The brass is thicker in 5.56 which will make the neck tighter.  Try using a graphite lube inside the necks after cleaning them well.  Sounds like the neck expander is too tight.  Also, lightly lube each case, not just some.

• Like 2

So I am going to assume your case prep was done properly pertaining to being clean and lubed. All you need to do is to get your hands on several good quality cases from another manufacturer and run them through your dies, that will tell you where the problem points to. If the different cases size normally you will know the first cases you used are the problem, if all case you try have a problem running through the die it is most certainly the die itself. Lee has a great warranty and service so just send them back to be replaced.

I have several sets of Lee dies including a set in 223 Rem myself, I did up several thousand once fired "Lake City" crimped primer military cases and everything went perfectly fine producing some quality handloads.

Al

Edited by airedale

9 hours ago, Elmo said:

I started the de-priming/full-resizing die and as a few cases, the cases would get stuck.  I mean to the point where it would bend the rim and pull right out of it's

I have had the same problem from time to time and have found that spraying the inside of the die with a spray lube every 10 or 15 rounds helps tremendously. After I am done I clean the die with brake cleaner so it is clean for next time. Not sure if it is the "politically" correct way of doing it but it works for me.

Here is a little trick I came across that works quite well for stuck cases. You will lose the casing but won't destroy or damage the die if you have a vise.

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 1

I used to have issues with stuck cases when loading surplus 50bmg with the roll on lube using lee die, but after spraying the cases with hornady one shot lube, all was good.

If it'll work on surplus 50bmg brass, it'll work on those puny .223 brass cases.

SJC 

I guess that’s where I went wrong. I’ve always wash the brass after re-sizing/de-priming. Was it supposed to be washed first?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For rifle brass should always clean then lube and resize then clean the lube off again and load. You can also decap with a universal and then do your sizing in a separate step.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Elmo said:
9 hours ago, Elmo said:

I’ve always wash the brass after re-sizing/de-priming. Was it supposed to be washed first?

I do clean the brass on every reload but unless the brass is extremely filthy I de-prime and resize first I will then run them through the case vibrator- cleaner for a bit to get the lube off and getting both inside and out along with the primer pocket cleaned out.

Like I said above you have to go through a process of elimination to find out what the problem is.

I have a brand new un-opened stuck case removing tool hanging on a hook over my handloading bench, been there for many years and it has never been used, I have turned out many thousands upon thousands of rounds, there is no way you should be having the cases get stuck like you are experiencing so something is not right.

Give the sizing die a good cleaning, it would be a good idea to check inside the sizing die to make sure there is no noticeable defects like burrs, scratches or gunk in there gumming things up. Lube and run a good quality once fired case through your sizing die, if the relatively clean name brand case still sticks I would then believe the die is the problem. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

detail this "washed" step for me. 

I don't use a tumbler.  I use a soaking solution.  2 quarts water, 1 cup vinegar, 1 tbs salt, 1 tbs dish detergent.  I let them sit over night and rinse them out with water.  set in dry place (over radiator) and let it brass dry over a couple of days.

After much input by helpful members of this forum I now realize I have not been using the lube as much as I should.  I also believe when I wasn't having this problem with my 308, it seems I've been using the neck sizing die where as on the 223, I think I'm using the full length die.

Edited by Elmo

i have used Lee dies quite a bit, without a problem...but...

I tumble all my brass first, which typically gets them quite clean. Nix this if it is range /field pick up, as if they are all dirty/ muddy to start, it is a good idea to clean them first. Then I just take a colander, put the brass  in it, get a tub of hot water with a little detergent in it and mix them around in it. shake dry, hit with the air and then put in the oven for a couple hrs at about 200 . 

then tumble.

I lube all the cases, using RCBS lube jell on a pad. Mine will stick within 2-3 shells if I dont lube them all (use one of the lube pads to apply the gel to, then roll the cleaned/ tumbled cases across it. Only a light film is needed. 

Alot of guys try to get by just rolling with their once fired cases. Results will be MUCH better with clean and tumbled brass, then lube em all.

I deprime all cases  first on my Lyman universal die. Then they get a clean in lemon shine and dish soap in a wet tumbler with stainless needles that also clean primer pockets/ flash hole ( dirty brass can scratch the inside off the dies ) Then I use the lee case lube , I use a gallon ziplock storage bag half filled with water ( some guys use rubbing alcohol so the cases dry quicker )  and 3-4 pea size drops of the lube dissolved in the water. I can fit about 50 or so of my 300, 7- 08 or 30-30 cases in the bag. Give them a good soak and pull out and set case mouth down in a loading tray to let dry over night. The lee lube that dries inside the cases doesn’t affect powder ignition  etc. at all. The cases get a thin powder lube on the entire case when dry and I’ve never had a problem with any cases sticking. Plus a tube lasts for ever..

12F8F5ED-F266-4CEC-8F51-0E97EB5E098F.jpeg

Edited by rob-c

4 hours ago, Elmo said:

I don't use a tumbler.  I use a soaking solution.  2 quarts water, 1 cup vinegar, 1 tbs salt, 1 tbs dish detergent.  I let them sit over night and rinse them out with water.  set in dry place (over radiator) and let it brass dry over a couple of days.

After much input by helpful members of this forum I now realize I have not been using the lube as much as I should.  I also believe when I wasn't having this problem with my 308, it seems I've been using the neck sizing die where as on the 223, I think I'm using the full length die.

on the full length try a q tip on the inside of the case neck too. It will work wonders. 

• Like 1

If any of you guys are using a media and vibrating your cases, try this tip. place 10-12 1" strips cut from used dryer sheets in there when you tumble. You'll be amazed at the dirt, grime and dust that they pick you and it isn't left in your media. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 3

I have never had a problem with any brand of case lube I have tried other than some being more messy than others, they have all worked well and satisfactory, can even remember using STP oil treatment and that worked well also. Have been using the Hornady Unique paste in recent years and have switched to Frankford Arsenal's dry mica setup for inside the case neck lubrication as to eliminate contamination of the powder charge and that has worked well also.

Al

l_749012869_2.jpg

290522.jpg

410q3Q25lrL._SY300_QL70_.jpg

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

My reloading operation is very low-tech, low volume and perhaps somewhat primitive...

I once had a lube pad, but got too much lube on the cases which resulted in hydraulic dents on the shoulders..

On the advice of an old timer, I started applying a very thin coat on the cases with my fingers, and  lubing the inside case necks with a q-tip…  I have used several commercial case lubes and  STP, and it all worked fine...

After sizing, I wipe off the outside of the cases with a paper towel or clean cloth, and wipe out the inside case neck with a clean q tip...   Works for me....

• Like 4

On 3/21/2020 at 11:20 AM, steve863 said:

Tight Lee was Bruce Lee's brother.  Got the reputation for being "tight" with money since he was known to eat only ramen noodles for dinner every night.  The sodium must have gotten to him. :)

You're mistaken, Steve...Tight Lee was Bruce Lee's SISTER....She was my favorite LEE.....

• Haha 1

Ordered the Hornady One-Shot spray lube and will give that a try.  Let's see how Amazon's delivery is going to be since they announced that they will give household items priority during this lock-down.