cold feet solutions???

firehunter48

so here's the deal....i was in my stand about 18yrs ago when i was younger and had my light weight boots on. being that i was hunting in the buffalo area, we got a freak (not really b/c it happens all the time) snow storm. long story short by the time i got home i had a small case of frostbite on the footsies.

anyways, in the years since, i had tried almost every solution i can think of to solve the problem of my feet being cold as hell while i am in the woods. i have tried everything from extra socks, extra heavy boots (i have a pair of -40 pack boots) foot warmers, and all of them combined. its not a matter of feet sweating because i will only wear the under armor or rocky boots type of sock liner or just a normal pair of socks then change into a fresh pair and then layer the heavy socks as the feet get progressively colder?

any and all suggestions would help and be greatly appreciated. i am thinking about spending some money and buying a pair of electric socks but don't know if i really wanna go that far or just suffer with the cold

I had a similiar experiance falling in catt creek and hunting the rest of the day when i was a kid. I found that a normal pair of thin wool socks with sole and toe warmers let me stay out for 4-6 hrs. i normally only last 1-2 before pain would force me back in.

I actually have done well going to Lacrosse rubber boots. I actually hunted out of the uninsulated version last year for the entire season by using a liner sock and a quality wool sock with a toe warmer in the really bad stuff. The uninsulated has neoprene, which is a natural insulator to a degree.

For days where I may sit and then still hunt or push to my hunter partner...I rely on lace-ups with the same setup.

Heres what I do, works well for me. First, I put on light weight socks, the ones I have are ScentLok socks I got as a gift. I walk into my stand, then put the stick on foot warmers on the bottoms of those socks. Over that, I put a pair of wool Carhartt socks on, then my boots, which are 400 Gram Rockies or my uninsulated rubber boots. I can stay out there all day like that with no issues, even when its well below freezing. I go out coyote hunting at night in January and February and alot of the time its below 20. No problems.

**Edit** my Rocky boots are 800 Gram, not 400.

I have a problem of my feet getting cold also. I found by accident that a pair of dress socks then regular cotton sock works the best for me. Even better are the second skin hiker socks (they are expensive) then a pair of cotton socks. I have huge pack boots that I ice fish with and my feet never get cold like that. Those boots however are not walking long distance boots. I usually carry them in then switch and sit(pain in the ass). Try to find some mickey mouse boots.

I always wear wool socks because they keep you warm even if wet. If it's cold I also wear thin liner socks that wick moisture off my feet and insulated boots. I worry more about staying dry and I recently started using all rubber boots. Last year I used a therma care back pad which kept me warm and helped because I have a bad back. Naturally a good hat and gloves is important to keep your feet warm. Last you might try to elevate your feet if possible to aid in circulation from time to time.

I know some of you guys have had luck.....but I was taught "cotton kills". . I use a wicking sock and gonna sound funny but in a pinch a lady's knee high nylon...(hey broadway Joe did it...lol)...then I go with the new smart wool socks....I have three different thicknesses....on the very cold days I use the whole foot warmers that are like a dr scholl's insert. For my boots it is irishsetter elk hunters1000gram.....or when cold a 1200dr gram insulated rubber boot......most important thing is you must have room in the boots....tight boots (stuffing extra socks in your normal fitted boots) will restrict circulation.

How can anyone have cold feet with all the great boots out today? I can wear no socks in some of the boots today and never get cold feet... I'd check your blood circulation!! lol

Actually I think you're on to something with the circulation. I guess I was either born lucky or my exercising is paying off, but I can wear the thinest of hunting socks along with boots with only a little insulation and my feet don't get cold. Lots of great boots out there these days where peoples feet shouldn't get that cold. Alcohol consumption is sure to do the trick with bad circulation also, so that's just another good reason not to drink while out hunting. Smoking of course won't help either.

Depending on the wheather i do not where much of any thing untill im in/on stand.when possible i try not to put on layers untill needed.I have a pair of mocks that i like to use going in and out.When sitting i do not have anything on my feet except a real good pair of woolsocks.Take your shoes off and relax.Also have a lap blanket that helps.

I wear thin nylon dress socks under some wool socks and I have a pair of boots that have an insulated liner that I have slip before putting the boot on. They keep me really warm. I am usually in a treestand so that works for me. When I am on the ground I use the same system with some foot warmers. I dont usually have any issues maybe after a night of too many bourbans - blood is a little to thin on those days.

Hey Dom....think you misread the original post.....it was cold feet hinting......not cold feet watching the football game on TV...lol....stocking feet and lap blankets.....suddenly I have visions of Grandma ;)

no i didn't this is how i hunt im nice and comfortable been doing this along time.Most of the guys think Im nuts..

It's not the footwear. Your body's reaction to cold is to send more blood to your core. By doing so it limits blood flow to your extremities. The trick is to increase your core temperature, not 3 pairs of socks. I use a hot water bottle. Sometimes two. You know the ones that look like whoopie cushions. I have a vest I wear with inside pockets. I put the water bottles in them when I get on stand. When you get up in the morning boil a pot of water. Fill the bottles. None of you guys ever saw the 20/20 with the doctor who sat in the meat freezer in his underoos with a heated vest on and was perfectly warm. It works. You could wear flip flops to your stand.. I bet ya scent killer makes a pair. ; )

• 1 month later...

Like stated before dress your body warm enough. Then I use a silk sock liner, a wool hunting sock (check BassPro Shops for reviews) and Rocky Boots insulated boots. The trick to the boots is to order them in a size wider than normally worn. This will allow the bulky wool sock in there and let your foot move and breath. I used to make the mistake of wrapping up my feet like a mummy and prying them into tight boots. I also throw a hand warmer heat pack into the toe section of the boots. I haven't found their stick on foot warmer to work to well.

One last trick, take 2 aspirin the morning of the hunt. Aspirin is a great blood thinner and your extremities will stay warmer if the blood can get there easier. Don't take aspirin if you are already on a blood thinner of course.

I am able to stay out from sunrise to sunset without leaving the woods rown to 20F so far with no problem. My feet are cool by the end of the dat but not numb or frozen.