Movie rental price gouging?????

mowin

I heard that movie Co are releasing movies for rent/streaming that are still in the theaters. 

I've never had the reason or want to do this until now. So seeing we have Amazon prime, I figured I'd check it out.  The only movie I have any interest in is 1917. But I was shocked to see they want $19.99 to rent it.  

Is that a normal price?  Needless to say, I still haven't seen the movie. Not going to pay movie theater prices to watch it in my LR. 

For a movie that's not officially released on DVD,Blueray etc. yes that seems to be what everyone is charging right now. Being able to watch a movie that's still in the theater is brand new and the movie studios way to still try and make money while theaters are shut down across the nation. 

I also dont go to the theater but from what I have heard a single ticket is around $10. So if you watch the move with someone else it's about the same price as going to the theater. 

• Like 1

I've been wanting to watch the hunt but at $20 I'll pass.  When I would go to the movies i would go on tuesday nights solo 1 movie ticket large popcorn and large drink $19.

Not a chance I'm paying that for a rental.

• Like 1

The price you are seeing is the buy price not rent, amazon usually has a new release movie to buy on their Sight for a few weeks before one can rent it. Midway is a good movie to watch as well as Ford vs Ferrari.   

16 minutes ago, rob-c said:

The price you are seeing is the buy price not rent, amazon usually has a new release movie to buy on their Sight for a few weeks before one can rent it. Midway is a good movie to watch as well as Ford vs Ferrari.   

It's the rent price....  There's several other options to rent from like YouTube, and it's the same price.

https://play.google.com/store/movies/details?id=fXLjkSUlSp4

Edited by mowin

6 minutes ago, ******pike said:

get your seft a fire stick and  program it am getting over 2000 channels 

I've got one. Keeps dropping the internet connection.   Sent me a new one and it's doing the same thing.   Not our internet dropping out because wife sometimes works from home, and she never has issues with the internet.  Called several times trying to get things worked out, but Amazon is saying it's my internet, and internet co saying it's not. 

Edited by mowin

17 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Cheaper than theater assuming at least two people watch it right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That's what I was thinking ,plus you dont have to leave the house ,you can get comfy on the couch ,pause it for piss breaks .

2 hours ago, mowin said:

I heard that movie Co are releasing movies for rent/streaming that are still in the theaters. 

I've never had the reason or want to do this until now. So seeing we have Amazon prime, I figured I'd check it out.  The only movie I have any interest in is 1917. But I was shocked to see they want $19.99 to rent it.  

Is that a normal price?  Needless to say, I still haven't seen the movie. Not going to pay movie theater prices to watch it in my LR. 

On amazon you can buy it for $20 which is pretty typical of newer movies.  Normally rentals are 5.99 or less.  Still way cheaper than bringing a family of 4 to the movies.  

1 minute ago, Paula said:

$20 for more than one person to watch a movie isn't that bad, and you have 48 hours to watch it. Best part is that you are not in a dirty theater

That would be much higher than normal to rent on amazon but typical to purchase.  And often newer movies are only available for purchase for a few weeks and then you can rent for 5.99 or less. 

• Like 2

On amazon you can buy it for $20 which is pretty typical of newer movies.  Normally rentals are 5.99 or less.  Still way cheaper than bringing a family of 4 to the movies.  

I watched Dark Waters for $5.99 the other night, excellent recommendation from @Biz. He’s now at 50% recommending movies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

That would be much higher than normal to rent on amazon but typical to purchase.  And often newer movies are only available for purchase for a few weeks and then you can rent for 5.99 or less. 

I think OP referring to the rentals of Universal's "in theaters" films. They did this right as the theaters started closing, taking what was in the big screen and offering it digitally for a $20 rental.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

It's just my wife and I, so while it saves some $, I'm watching it on a TV not a large movie theater screen with incredible sound systems.  

I'll wait a month or so and rent it for $5.99. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mowin said:

Redbox has the Movie 1917 to rent for $1.80 plus tax . Problem is so many people are renting movies from Redbox due to being cooped up . I have Amazon , Netflix and Roku so I am all set .Just finished the 6th season of Republic of Doyle on Netflix .

1 minute ago, fasteddie said:

Redbox has the Movie 1917 to rent for $1.80 plus tax . Problem is so many people are renting movies from Redbox due to being cooped up . I have Amazon , Netflix and Roku so I am all set .Just finished the 6th season of Republic of Doyle on Netflix .

I was just looking into Netflix.   Might do the 30 day free trial.