NY to Allow online Hunter education

Keep an eye out for a Press release announcing this today.  It's coming from a very good source. This could help those kids that want to get out for the gobblers

“New York is now going to offer a fully online hunter education course so that students can get certified during this time when we cannot offer in-person courses. The online course is going to be offered through Kalkomey, the company that we use for Event Manager and the online homework.
The course will cost $19.95 per person. Right now the course will be available for a limited time, from April 15 through June 30, 2020. By late June, we will make a decision on whether to keep the course open for a longer period of time. Anyone age 11 or older can take the online course and you must be a resident of New York State. Students who successfully complete the course, and pass the final exam, will get a hunter education certificate. Starting Wednesday, the course can be found at https://www.hunter-ed.com/newyork/

• Like 6

I just saw this on FB, I forwarded the link to a friend who's son was supposed to get his course in last month. I was planning on taking him out for spring turkey but his class got cancelled. Maybe he can get his license in time for the youth hunt? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2012_taco said:

I just saw this on FB, I forwarded the link to a friend who's son was supposed to get his course in last month. I was planning on taking him out for spring turkey but his class got cancelled. Maybe he can get his license in time for the youth hunt? 

if it is available on the 15th he should be fine. 

• Like 1

Great find, Culver!!  My son took the firearms safety course last summer, but it would be great if I can get him an online bowhunters course where he doesn't have to sit through another 8 hours of pretty much the same thing.  The website is not too clear whether this includes the bowhunters course, but hopefully the DEC might clear things up when they make their statement.

12 minutes ago, steve863 said:

Great find, Culver!!  My son took the firearms safety course last summer, but it would be great if I can get him an online bowhunters course where he doesn't have to sit through another 8 hours of pretty much the same thing.  The website is not too clear whether this includes the bowhunters course, but hopefully the DEC might clear things up when they make their statement.

From what I saw the needed course isn't even up on the site yet. Probably won'e be until the 15th

9 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I can understand that. I think most of the ones taking the course would benefit from the in-person. This is a good choice so those just old enough are not penalized becasue of what it going on 

That would be a serious bummer for a youngster to not hit the woods because of no classes. I wonder if this is just a one time deal because of what's going on. 

8 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

That would be a serious bummer for a youngster to not hit the woods because of no classes. I wonder if this is just a one time deal because of what's going on. 

I think like so many other things, what we are going through now will likely cause a cultural shift in a lot of folks thinking. Long standing processes have had to be revamped to accomplish the same things. 

19 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I think like so many other things, what we are going through now will likely cause a cultural shift in a lot of folks thinking. Long standing processes have had to be revamped to accomplish the same things. 

My daughter is just so busy with school, sport and student gov she never had the time to take the class. Now would be a great time for her to complete this. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, First-light said:

So you bring the homework voucher to the fieldwork program? Unless I missed something you still have to sign up for a hunter safety course and do the field work for a license. Correct me if I'm wrong?

NO. DO NOT read it now. It isn't updated yet. That is how it WAS done. 

• Like 1

Also an option that has become popular - Non-NY states offer online certification. People are finding success taking those and with reciprocity, getting their hunting license here in NY. This seems to remove that need to do the song and dance, which is good. I don't know the specifics - some people say that shouldn't be done, but just passing along as I have seen a few people do this with success and take a meaningful education/certification class.

Edited by phade
  • Like 2

I totally get where Jeremy is coming from , would I like to see them demonstrate safe and proper gun handling ? Yes I believe so .

In my day, Dad dropped you off Sat Morning, picked you up late afternoon, you listened to the instructors hunting stories , went out back shot a .22 , which was really  to see if you checked the gun and handled it safely , came back in took the test . 

Fast forward a generation  ,  my daughters was three nights,  6-10 ? Which means 5:15- 10:30 really . The hardest part was finding the three free nights . She never read the book prior , and said it was the easiest test she ever took . The third  night was the field work, along with gun handling and shooting , but thunder rolled in so , it ended before they got to that .

I believe it’s swung the other way because at a time demands on kids time has increased, they took a one day course and spread it out , ( in many cases ) to three .

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Nomad said:

I totally get where Jeremy is coming from , would I like to see them demonstrate safe and proper gun handling ? Yes I believe so .

In my day, Dad dropped you off Sat Morning, picked you up late afternoon, you listened to the instructors hunting stories , went out back shot a .22 , which was really  to see if you checked the gun and handled it safely , came back in took the test . 

Fast forward a generation  ,  my daughters was three nights,  6-10 ? Which means 5:15- 10:30 really . The hardest part was finding the three free nights . She never read the book prior , and said it was the easiest test she ever took . The third  night was the field work, along with gun handling and shooting , but thunder rolled in so , it ended before they got to that .

I believe it’s swung the other way because at a time demands on kids time has increased, they took a one day course and spread it out , ( in many cases ) to three .

Same here ,i got dropped off and picked up when it was done ,same for archery class . When my youngest brother in law took the class ,every kid there had a parent sitting with them . I thought they changed rules ,i remember thinking they could have had bigger classes if the parents stayed home instead of taking up seats. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nomad said:

My son took the course last June (I sat in with him) on Long Island and there was absolutely NO hands on with any firearms, real or fake.  So from what I saw, he learned way more in the homework part than he did in the 8 hour class.  I was very disappointed with the two course instructors to be quite honest.