Seriously

Paulie

So the last weekend during the reg southern zone season I was out hunting. My plans changed last minute and I went to a different part of the property. I got in late but got settled pretty quick. Before I climbed the tree I looked around for flash lights or any orange I could see. Once up in my tree I did the same and then once again when it was nice and light..well here comes what I thought was 6 ptn. (thought to myself, I already got one of those this year, he gets a pass). As he walks around my stand i notice another point and then another...wow, he is an 8. As he starts to walk away and I have the gun up on him I start to think he looks really wide. (I know they say they always look bigger that way). Well wouldn't you know it I pulled the gun off him before he crested the hill....with in 20 seconds i hear BOOM! and there goes ther deer, dead within 150 yards from me maybe closer. I stand up to make sure my orange is in full view and don't see anything for about 15 min...then all I see is a back tag moving through the woods......on a kid (maybe 9-10 based on his hieght)! Finally after straining through the bino's for a few minutes (and only at 100 yards) I can make out two figures, in full camo and facemasks....looks to be a father and son! I watched them the entire time gut the deer and all i could see was the white belly of the deer. The kid left...I never saw him until i heard the quad come back. All this time (about 45 mins to gut the deer) I don;t think they ever saw me and I looked like a pumpkin....I mean the father was talking on the phone for a good 10 mins....I was max, 150 yards away...could they not have seen me????!! The entire time I was debating gettin out of the stand, congratulating them and then giving them a piece of my mind......for all i know they could have been directly behind where the deer crested the hill and pointed at me...I guess i could live with that cuz I am still alive....but what if for some reason they were in the direct line of the deer i was shooting.....I never would have seen them!!! What is this father teaching his son...I know it's not illegal but come on....If i pulled the trigger and something bad happened I would not be able to live with myself....and to no fault of my own. This is why we should all have some type of orange on during gun season, if not for you, for the rest of us.....sorry, just needed a place to vent as I was pissed!

And after 14 views and no replies I am assuming alot of people just wear camo. I'm not trying to start an arguement here...but it has been proven the deer don't see orange, just the void that it leaves...hell, wear orange camo, at least somethin to be as safe as possbile, espically when hunting with a KID!!

Sorry guys....it has happend to me twice (that I know of) where I have had the gun up on a deer that I thought was safe (after veryifying my surrounding and potential target areas) only to find out that it may not have been for one reason or another.....besides the fact that it pisses me off, I just want everyone to be safe.

camo nothing about 8-10yrs ago Im up in my stand and see movement along with something dark moving through the golden rod field next to me (about 300-350yrds away) . I cant make it out soget out the binos its 3 guys 2 in brown carharts and 1 in blue or black carharts . oh and they were hunting (poaching) all had guns .

it takes all kinds , seen many people in the woods during gun season with dumb clothes on not just hunters either .

Very true....not trying to pin this just on us....but these guys were probably 75 yards away from me and I wouldn't have a clue they were there..and even though I was in orange I don't think they new i was there...that caused me some concern!

It is not my job to make you safer. If I choose to wear camo, which by the way I hunt private proprery and I know who is there that is my choice. To make them out ot be the bad guys because they do not adhere to your standards si simply wrong. This is just another post for trying to make orange mandatory. Good luck with that one. I truly find it hard to believe you could pick out a brown back tag but could not pick out th person. You truly make my point why blaze is a bad thing mandated. You only looked for a oatch of orange. Had you paid closer attention to detail, I bet you could have seen them rather than just looking for orange. Se seriously dont blame them for your lack of detail. If BO becomes mandatory, everyone will do like you and just look for ornage. Anything else will be ok.

• Like 1

camo nothing about 8-10yrs ago Im up in my stand and see movement along with something dark moving through the golden rod field next to me (about 300-350yrds away) . I cant make it out soget out the binos its 3 guys 2 in brown carharts and 1 in blue or black carharts . oh and they were hunting (poaching) all had guns .

it takes all kinds , seen many people in the woods during gun season with dumb clothes on not just hunters either .

On what basis can you say they were poaching? Because they wore DUMB clothes. To me that makes you the dumb one unless you actually saw them poaching. And if you did, you should have turned them in. If you didnt then you are making a stereotypical assumption.

Quite a while ago, I posted a lot of this same kind of stuff on here and believe it or not, there were people who got very irate and staunchly defended "their right" to wear full camo during gun deer season. It's frustrating, but there are more of them out there than you would ever want to believe.

Bubba correct me ...haven't you mentioned in the past that you are a Hunter SAFETY instructor?......You really feel a need to criticize these guys for voicing what they PERSONAL experienced thus giving an assessment as to what happened at the time?

The problem we have in this state is we don't have good hunter instruction on a uniformed bases around this state...yes kudos to those willing to do it ...but the state needs to either train them better or mandate a better curriculum ....

Now tell me why you can criticize them for apparent assumptions you feel they made.... when you yourself are doing the EXACT same thing in doing so?

This states safety records proves we need improvements and Hunter Orange is one of those improvements we need...that being said please don't bother trying to redirect by stating many of the "incidents" were self inflicted...falls or self inflicted shots..... for it doesn't change the fact that ppl on the web have been reporting many many "close calls" and the state does not.

• Like 1

Anytime a person heads afield, their is a risk of injury or death in hunting seasons, period. You can take steps to lower that risk, but the risk is still there. Personally, I like to take steps to lower the risk. I would hope my neighbor is willing to do the same. Their will always be people in the field, not dressed like U want them to be, for one reason or another. That will never change.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter
  • Like 1

So is the ultimate moral of the story that you should have shot the deer when you first saw it...so you weren't shooting at the dumb father and his kid (who is being taught poorly)?

Shame on the father....that's for sure. It's one thing to take your own life in your hands...but your kid? C'mon.

Never mind I found it, if the kid was a junior hunter he was required to wear BO.. Both the Junior Hunter and mentor must remain on the ground while hunting; you may not use a tree stand or hunt from an elevated platform. Both the Junior Hunter and mentor must wear hunter orange visible from all directions: shirt, jacket or vest with at least 250 square inches of solid or patterned orange (the pattern must be at least 50% orange) OR a hat with at least 50% orange

Edited by Doewhacker

On what basis can you say they were poaching? Because they wore DUMB clothes. To me that makes you the dumb one unless you actually saw them poaching. And if you did, you should have turned them in. If you didnt then you are making a stereotypical assumption.

get off your high horse and think , I know its your right and mine not to wear orange but wearing brown during gun season is dumb plain and simple . the point I was making is we all should be safe out there .

DONT EVER CALL ME DUMB BECAUSE YOU ARE THE ONE MAKING ASSUMPTIONS NOW !!!

I have called the tip line 5 times on illegal activity before .

I have always been impressed as to how well that B/O clothing keeps me aware of just who has crept in and set up in a situation that I consider to be too close. Sometimes the situation is reversed, and I find myself getting too close to someone else. The B/O keeps that from happening. That is a case where an unsafe situation can be averted simply and only because of blaze orange. I don't have to see the whole hunter or even very much of him to be instantly alerted that it is time to move on.

I'm definitely for wearing at least an orange hat while gun hunting.... Bubba does make a point about hunters needing to be absolutely sure about what it is they're shooting at... my problem with camo during the gun season is the guy sitting against a tree or standing in the woods and not being able to pick him out if a shot at a deer is available... obviously if the idiot gets shhot by a hunter who is shooting at a deer its his fault for not being visible, but nobody here wants to be the guy that shoots an idiot.. no matter how stupid he is. Wear something orange!!