Looking for help

Robinson446

I have a few buddys from putnum and they come down every year, they came down with 15 tags this year. I asked how and they said they give their friends 10$ to apply and they go apply for doe tags down here because they dont come here to hunt and then they sign the taags to them. Seems like a good idea. Anyone else heard of this? Any guys that dont hunt out here ill give you 10$ to apply next year :P

If they are giving them $10 specifically for applying for DMPs, thats breaking the rules, as it would technically be buying tags. Each hunter is only allowed to have 2 DMPs per season signed over to them, so if your buddies have more than 6 DMPs per guy, they are breaking the rules again.

Doing this doesnt make any difference to NY's management plan though, as they give x number of DMPs out per WMU, and they expect a certain percentage to be filled. They arent concerned with who fills them in that respect.

I read this post before anyone else had replied and thought that the request seemed a little wierd; or at least a little glutonous. But, I can see by all the responses that everyone seems to have had the same reaction. How much venison do you need, anyway?

10 % of hunters take 90 % of the deer...legally or illegally i don't know how many hunters as it not stated.. there is not enough enforcement of laws now ..and i dont see it changing anytime soon. if 2 -4 guys they would be caught in a search of tags by any dec officer...oh yeah 1-2officers per county...like that will ever happen better chance of winning powerball.... The biggest problem is they get away with it and someone hears about it and they then do or try to do the same....

Edited by G-Man

The $10 thing is illegal, but I didn't see anywhere that Robinson said how many of his buddies constitutes "a few". 15 tags among a whole gang of people may not be over the legal limit. ....... or did I miss something?

Let's see ....... if the WMU is giving out 2 permits per hunter as they did here in 8N and each hunter gets his 2 permits and has 2 more permits consigned to him that's 4 legal permits per hunter. At that rate it would only take 4 of his buddies to get 16 permits. Other than paying for them, the 15 number would legit.

I figure if those guys are quite successful in the first year and the acreage hunted is rather small, there may not be enough deer left to hunt the following year ....... lol. My take is that no piece of property can or should withstand that kind of ridiculous pressure. The doe herd would have to be terribly over-stressing the habitat to handle that kind of carnage.

Warning! ........ The DEC does monitor certain forums for admissions of illegal acts. I have read about arrests being made because of comments posted on forums. Be careful what you post and understand the law before making admissions here.

Thats my point about mismanagement. I dont think tags should even be able to be transferd. It does have to do with management in the long run. Lets say dec says 8m gets 4000 permits to hand out. If 1500 real hunters got 2 each that would be 3000 tags given out and 1000 not. Well if the guys that get there wives and kids and friends that dont hunt cant get tags for them that would leave 1000 tags not givin out and if the truth is known the dec in probably all wacked out on numbers of deer because of the guys that dont call their own harvests in or use the wives and kids tags and dont call them in!!! Hence management.... Save the part where some will say it does not happen.... I know of plenty in my area alone that never report!!!

The one thing that bothers me about the system of consigning antlerless tags is that some guys wind up with a seemingly endless supply of tags which promotes the "brown and down" mentality. I'm talking about the idea that with so many tags in their pocket, it creates a bit of a killing frenzy where they may not be as careful as maybe they should be and begin to become a bit reckless. I have seen some of these "tag collectors" who enter the woods expecting to blow everything flat as quickly as possible. It's a mentality that I really don't like being around.

The other thing that is not terribly attractive about that system is that it impacts the true lottery odds in areas where the numbers are not so large. It has a concentrating effect that takes permits out of the system and concentrates them in the hands of a few, depriving some hunters of having a chance to be selected at all.

From the DEC's perspective, I am sure that their intent is to get as many tags into the hands of those that will fill them. That's their goal when they set the numbers (rightly or wrongly ..... that's another subject). They want to see those tags used. I suppose the sign-over system helps them do that.

Those people are called "killers" not hunters. I have been racking my brain trying to come up with a way that you get a doe permit after the second week of the season on a rewards program. This also ties in with reporting a buck that you shoot on "your" own buck tag. keeps people from hunting bucks on someone else's tag, maybe a percentage of doe permits are done this way. Just thinking out loud, I'm sure you can shoot a million holes in it, just thought I'd share because we all complain big time about tag abuse.

Four Seasons. With all the guys that you know that don't report. How many of these guys have you turned in?

Actually Culver, he is one of those guys, he admitted to the illegal transfer of tags in another thread a while back. I guess it was ok for him and not others.

Anyway, the DEC only gets about a 6% return on doe permits issued through out the state. Pretty sad numbers really and it does make you wonder if it really matters who pulls the trigger on them. I prefer to follow the rules as I have enough headaches with out getting into trouble with the DEC.

Here is the post from fourseasons by the way...

"Doewacker can you really come on here and say that you yourself have never filled a tag that was not yours or that you know of not one person that has done that??????? I highly doubt it. That crap happens all the time. I have done it before and i know of some that have done it this year. Is it my place to call them out?? No sir.. "