they got them all...

Coyotes wouldn't likely be running in packs this time of the year.. They are not true PACK animals, like wolves... The groups that you hear howling together are family groups, not true packs.. And they are starting to mate this time of the year.. Groups of more than TWO would not be that common.. Call the DEC and talk to someone who knows something about coyote behavior and ask thier opinion.

Sounds like you have a domestic ( or feral) DOG problem...

Once again, I offer my deepest regrets and sympathy for the loss of your pets..

Sounds like you have a domestic ( or feral) DOG problem...

Once again, I offer my deepest regrets and sympathy for the loss of your pets..

Well I put trail cams over the goats....and today when I went to check....planned on hunting yotes over...to get rid of killers....I was so very wrong for I surprised a nieghbors dog and it chased me out of the paddock growling and barking...I got gate closed and fashiond a long rope and noose out of bailing twine I leave on fence...got it dropped over its head and tied up...then retrieved the cam card....the only visitors was the dog I tied and the same owners other dog in pic....had a mutual friend come retieve the one and I e-mailed this one pic...of many more nasty ones of the other dog...only these dogs crow and a fox were on cam....pic was taken on the 16th .....ppl need to learn to control their dogs or this is what happens....they were also the same dogs our son saw eating a deer up the road from us....

The only way to prove a dog is a killer is to catch it in the act, or check it's teeth for hair right after the attack. The sheriff found some of the dogs that were killing our sheep by checking the teeth of suspected dogs for wool jammed between their teeth. Kind of like elementary CSI ..... lol. Of course in your case, too many hours have already elapsed, and presence of goat hair could simply be due to a dog coming across the goats that had already been killed and taking advantage of a free meal. Also, since the dog that you captured wanted to eat you too, checking its teeth probably wouldn't be real practical.

I have a sneaking suspicion that you have found the culprits. The next problem is proving it. If somehow you can prove it, and trace these critters back to their owner, you have a good case for recuperating some money for the damage. I know that even that would be poor compensation because I am assuming these goats were more pets than some kind of commercial enterprise. But some form of financial retribution would be better than nothing. And maybe it would teach the dog owner something about responsible pet ownership.

At any rate, it doesn't look good for proving the case that these dogs were responsible.

By the way, I agree with Cynthia ...... that dog looks pretty under-fed and neglected. He looks pretty "ribby" and boney in the hind-quarters. It may be a case of animal abuse.

• Like 1

The dog does look half starved to me. Little doubt in my mind the hungry animal killed them to survive and now is protecting it's kill. The owner should be prosecuted for animal cruelty and made to pay you back for the loss of your animals. If on my property, over my dead pet, in that physical condition and coming at me barking to protect it's food source which was my former pets, it would be shot on the spot.

I put up with a lot of crap over the years with other people's dogs running deer, getting into garbage on my property and just hanging out being a nuisance, and have never once put a target on one. But, if any had ever threatened the safety of me, my family, or my pets........game over! Dog is starved, dog standing guard over my dead pets, dog now growling and threatening me............= dead dog, call to DEC and a court date for neighbor.

Sorry about your loss and problem with jerk neighbors. Keep safe!

Wow, that poor dog looks abused. It's a shame about the whole situation. Owners fault and needs to be enlightened about the situation. They should pay for your goats but by the looks of their dog they can't afford to feed him. I think your in a no win situation. Goats are wonderful animals and a pleasure to raise. If they mean that much to you put up a better fence for protection.

If they mean that much to you put up a better fence for protection.

Well gee no surprise....but take a good look at the picture...those are many 16 ft over lapping hog panals wired to field fencing that encloses the entire paddock...your right I should have dug motes filled with acid and put in 12000volt fencing..... entirely my falt

• Like 1

Well gee no surprise....but take a good look at the picture...those are many 16 ft over lapping hog panals wired to field fencing that encloses the entire paddock...your right I should have dug motes filled with acid and put in 12000volt fencing..... entirely my falt

I never meant that, sorry if you took it the wrong way. It's too early in the day for this, I'm out.

So let me recap this and a few others ...I'll start with this...

1.Our goats were killed....found nieghbors dogs were the only preditor to come back on film

a...I don't shoot them...nor poison them

1. I simply managed to rope and tie the one that charged growling and barking

and had a mutual friend take it home

b. I don't call the cops...nor confront them...

1. I send an e-mail with pic and say " put cams over kill to see what may killed the

goats this is what I got

c. been waiting for a response

2. I have a new nieghbor call me screaming how I don't patrol my property well

enough and I had best start...I do and find him with an open burn

a. I don't call VOLUNTEER fire dept..wasting resources and embaressing him infront of other neighbors

b. Call the DEC...who drafted burn law...and first thing I say is..I don't know if this

is illegal but....

c. I didn't go off on a rampage and have him arrested for assault for the first

call...because that is EXACTLTY what that was according to the law

3. I posted about buying new land ....going to neighbors and letting them know I bought said land gave out cards with my # and name so if there were deer to be tracked or problems to give me a call...but no hunting the family hunts the land thank

them and leave

a. many retrieval calls and a few problem call no screaming and permissions given

b. Did not deny all retrieval or say too bad on problem calls when after I gave out infor a drunk nieghbor who had been illegally hunting the land for years called up to call me a FB...DC B and a few other choice things...nor did I have his drunk fanny arrested

4.. and finally ...I had poaching and family and I shot at on our land because ppls grandsson we bought land from was angry and a drunk(according to his grandmother).... I recieved NO help from sheriffs...DEC...or troopers...no one would even go talk to these guys...I told them and all ppl around me they would shoot and kill someone one of these days..3 yrs later they did just that

So yep...I'm one miserable SOB to live next to...For I believe I did not do some of the things some of you suggested ...shoot back...poison ...SSS...call cops..fire Dept.ect...and I also didn't roll over and let ppl walk over me for the sake of their right to be abusive first....Nope...I can say for those of you who would not want to be my neighbor...I truely feel blessed

i never said anything bad about you but i do think you should do something about that poor dog yes he may have killed your pets but now he is probably tied up and will starve to dead a long and painful death for any animal .

I'm glad you posted ...for I was in the middle of answering your concerns when I got Daves Wonderful Opinion...

What I was typing at the time was this...

You may not under stand and I'm not defending owner nor the dogs ...by ANYMEANS...but the dog in pic has a medical condition and ALWAYS looks like this...the same owners other dog that charged me and I tied up...that dog looks like a barrel with a head and tail....how they are not cared for is when I nicely approached her about them upsetting our kenneled and house dogs by being down here she said that the shepherd was tearing up the house and she was leaving it out side when no one was home and allowing it to run...at that time I'd not been a problem with the goats as she has live stock as well....not until after the fact have I learned it had been chasing their horses as well...unlike my self ...who believes dogs should always be under the owners control...she thinks they should be allowed to run

By the way these are the same ppl that I posted and was proud of their sons buck kills this and last year...and the same ppl that alerted me to and came down when they saw poachers lights bee bopping around our woods last year...the ppl that we used ourtrackor to clean their barn......you know being the horrible person some think me to be ;)

I will wait a bit for a response ..for all I know the daughter deleted the e-mail...they are family pets

Well, I'm not sure about neighbor relations and all that nice stuff, but with the experiences that we had with dogs vs. our sheep, there is no doubt in my mind that dog predation on livestock is a serious offense, that definitely warrants an immediate call to the sheriff's office as an official report that get's logged in. The pictures of your visitors afterward should have been another additional call to the sheriff's office along with the identity of their owner. Even if nothing ever comes of it all, those are the basic responsibilities that a farmer of livestock owner should take on when something like this happens. Sheltering dog predation is never a good idea for the sake of other livestock farmers or pet owners and should always be reported. That is how the dogs that eventually put us out of business were finally stopped, and it would never have happened without the other sheep owners in the area reporting attacks with as many details as possible.

• Like 1