Jump to content

DEC Unveils New Deer Management Plan


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

forgot about this good piece of news Additionally, this plan proposes to expand legal deer hunting hours to cover a longer period of daylight, including the dawn and dusk periods when deer are mo

If you look up "cupcake", you may run into this definition: "a compound-only bowhunter who is against any deer hunting during archery season with a crossbow".

Surprised I didn't see this posted and sorry if it was. Comments accepted until 12/28 https://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/7211.html looks like they're trying to gain full authority to do some stu

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

You can't fool me ,everyone who has hunted with both will admit they take no practice and are exponentially easier to use ,they belong in gun season with the other guns.  

I wouldn’t say they take “no practice” thats absurd. Reminds me of people who have never shot a handgun and think the can stack holes on paper at as little as ten yards. Doesn’t happen, lucky if they can even hit paper. By the way ever try recocking one 15 foot up in a ladder stand? Compound is exponentially easier to reload for a follow up shot and virtually silent. 

Edited by SpacemanSpiff
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Swamp_bucks said:

I'm fine with most of the rules.  I dont know about selling the meat stuff.  add crossbow but make it mandatory to take the bow course , one thing I would want is NY to go to a 1 buck state.  Take whatever buck you want but you get 1 and your guaranteed 1 doe tag.  If it's in a really high deer density area allow a second buck to be taken after 2 does are taken.  There not going to make everyone happy one way or another.

Only 60 k buck taken now with 650k hunters 1 buck isnt going to change anything. Less than 2 % now take 2 buck , as the saying goes 10% hunters take 90% of game... time and skill are what is needed to kill deer more than anything. 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, cynthiafu said:

I dont like that  one 

This is in referance to high population areas like 9f. If you had unlimited tags. What do you do with all the deer.. personally they would be better off giveing a tax credit for donation to food bank

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Trial153 said:

One buck any season would be a good move for improving the quality and age structure of our buck population.

So explain how 650k hunters take 50k buck a year. What is one buck doing when 600 k. Go buckless anyway?  Passing up deer voluntarily for an older age is best way. Making habitat better is a great way. If you read the proposal they list all the dates changes were made including the elimination of either sex extra permits you use to shoot buck on as well to antlerless only.. heck one buck and most hunter i know would be tagged out in archery and gun season would be a ghosttown with deer never leaving property of hunters who taggged out meaning less movent then their is already. Most deer would die of old age in good habitat. Only shooting 1 buck doesn't  mean others will shoot them they dont get one now. 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
So explain how 650k hunters take 50k buck a year. What is one buck doing when 600 k. Go buckless anyway?  Passing up deer voluntarily for an older age is best way. Making habitat better is a great way. If you read the proposal they list all the dates changes were made including the elimination of either sex extra permits you use to shoot buck on as well to antlerless only.. heck one buck and most hunter i know would be tagged out in archery and gun season would be a ghosttown with deer never leaving property of hunters who taggged out meaning less movent then their is already. Most deer would die of old age in good habitat. Only shooting 1 buck doesn't  mean others will shoot them they dont get one now. 
You keep spouting bullshit made up % of hunters that take two bucks. However it's not listed in the yearly harvest report. In fact you cant even get your total buck kill numbers correct. Because the number your spewing is wrong.
Seems like you might want to check you information.
Here is a tip. Google New York state deer harvest summy and the year. It comes up as a PDF. For example in 2019...the buck take was 113K plus. Your a little off .....
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

You can't fool me ,everyone who has hunted with both will admit they take no practice and are exponentially easier to use ,they belong in gun season with the other guns.   

   Jer, I would like to see CrossBow open up with Early Archery.  It would be nice to go out on October 1st.

   As a Hiker, I have already wrote that , I am in Rock Throwing Distance of plenty of Deer every September.

    The one big downside to this for the Traditional Archers is more Competition on the Public Lands.  That is the #1 reason Traditional Archers would be against this.

   

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Trial153 said:

You keep spouting bullshit made up % of hunters that take two bucks. However it's not listed in the yearly harvest report. In fact you cant even get your total buck kill numbers correct. Because the number your spewing is wrong.
Seems like you might want to check you information.
Here is a tip. Google New York state deer harvest summy and the year. It comes up as a PDF. For example in 2019...the buck take was 113K plus. Your a little off .....

Still no where near any number take 1 buck each, 560 k plus dont get one. We do not have a short gunseason like states with 1 buck limit and biologicaly its not necessary for reproduction. If you have hunted any legnth of time you should know how hard bowhunters paid extra and recieved no tag. , and like your 1 buck states most buck are now taken during archery. So either take up archery or crossbow pay more money anf get your buck if that is what bothers you so much. And the saying is pretty much true 10% kill 90% of game. Perhaps your assuming that out of 113 k buck taken 50 k hunters shot 100k of them? The success rate for archers is pretty low across the state ( you can google that if you want) not.many are taking 2 buck and not enough statistically to warrent a 1 buck rule at all. Look at oast changes hell before 91 you could take a buck on a party permit...

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
   Jer, I would like to see CrossBow open up with Early Archery.  It would be nice to go out on October 1st.
   As a Hiker, I have already wrote that , I am in Rock Throwing Distance of plenty of Deer every September.
    The one big downside to this for the Traditional Archers is more Competition on the Public Lands.  That is the #1 reason Traditional Archers would be against this.
   
I'm not getting sucked into this vortex but... Noone likes more competition, it's nature. Would you like to stand in line to get bread when you went to the store because everyone was out? Or how about more mountain bikers on your cherished turkey paradise? What if they changed the turkey regs to allowing rimfire rifles in Stewart? How would you feel then? It's easy to spout off when you have nothing to lose. The people who are diehard bowhunters feel that we do have something to lose, right or wrong and we're allowed that opinion the same as you're allowed yours. You will not shame me into feeling lesser about my opposition to crossbows. In fact, without getting too personal here, you are exactly the type I worry about. The type who for some unknown reason is all for crossbows but has no interest in hunting otherwise. The type who wants to walk a trail and shoot deer that stand on the side because it's EASY. The kind who could hunt with a crossbow now but chooses not too for reasons unknown. So.... Before you try shaming another hunter look at it from both sides. Put some scenarios in your head about turkey hunting since that's your passion, and I'll bet allowing rifles, or electronic calls, or Spring baiting would stick in your craw too....

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites



Still no where near any number take 1 buck each, 560 k plus dont get one. We do not have a short gunseason like states with 1 buck limit and biologicaly its not necessary for reproduction. If you have hunted any legnth of time you should know how hard bowhunters paid extra and recieved no tag. , and like your 1 buck states most buck are now taken during archery. So either take up archery or crossbow pay more money anf get your buck if that is what bothers you so much. And the saying is pretty much true 10% kill 90% of game. Perhaps your assuming that out of 113 k buck taken 50 k hunters shot 100k of them? The success rate for archers is pretty low across the state ( you can google that if you want) not.many are taking 2 buck and not enough statistically to warrent a 1 buck rule at all. Look at oast changes hell before 91 you could take a buck on a party permit...


Buddy your off the rails. You keep making up bullshit arguments who's only truths are in your own mind, the same place your made up numbers come from. Keep making those strawmen
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Trial153 said:


 

 


Buddy your off the rails. You keep making up bullshit arguments who's only truths are in your own mind, the same place your made up numbers come from. Keep making those strawmen

 

Ok. Here are numbers  65 k antlered buck  shot during gun in southern zone  gun last year 30 k antlered buck in southern zone during archery last year , so your telling me 30 k archers are taking 2 buck so 30 k of the 65 k shot in gun are 2 buck takers.. the number is statistically low. Or there are just a lot of bad hunters out there. Do you really think 2 buck is a problem ???  Is your whole worry some one shot a buck and you didnt see one? Most hunter i know and have seen that get two buck. Are usually shooting mature buck for both. And spend a lot of time in the woods. A lot of time scouting and even more on prep..

Seriously stop watching hunting shows that are on private ranches with 1 hunter per square mile. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Ok. Here are numbers  65 k antlered buck  shot during gun in southern zone  gun last year 30 k antlered buck in southern zone during archery last year , so your telling me 30 k archers are taking 2 buck so 30 k of the 65 k shot in gun are 2 buck takers.. the number is statistically low. Or there are just a lot of bad hunters out there. Do you really think 2 buck is a problem ???  Is your whole worry some one shot a buck and you didnt see one? Most hunter i know and have seen that get two buck. Are usually shooting mature buck for both. And spend a lot of time in the woods. A lot of time scouting and even more on prep..
Seriously stop watching hunting shows that are on private ranches with 1 hunter per square mile. 
Is there something wrong with you? Do you just make up arguments in your head and project them on other people because it sounds good to you?
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Trial153 said:

Is there something wrong with you? Do you just make up arguments in your head and project them on other people because it sounds good to you?

Those are numbers from 2019 358654654_Screenshot_20201201-071652_AdobeAcrobat.thumb.jpg.82dbfdbdb7db53390352144517ec2acb.jpg

Still waiting for you to tell me using these numbers why 1 buck will make a huge difference in our buck and age structure??  Habitat and shortening seasons would do a lot more or closing hunting season completely perhaps ... these archer swhis state wide success rate is lower than 10 % buck and doe harvest( includingnbuttons and fawns)  are killing all the buck? 

Edited by G-Man
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, The Jerkman said:

Man you REALLY DO have a major boner for Bill

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton
 

I haven't replied to a Bill post in months.

13 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

It's an accurate comment, isn't it?

Edit to add: it's certainly not a malicious comment either.

and thanks

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Penalties for leaving usable meat. Many states have this already.  A lot of times for bigger game like elk and moose where you don't pack out the whole animal and you can't pack out the horns until all the meat is taken. But if someone is shooting a buck just for it's horns they couldnt leave the carcass without penalty with this new law.

I was a little surprised to see this isn't already a law. That being said, this state is great at writing laws and ordnances about how many people can gather, what attachments your gun can have etc. Yet we don't really have any way to enforce it. Heck even the most egregious poachers rarely get caught even with the laws we have today. With 1 DEC officer per 100 square miles or whatever it is, I just don't see how they'll enforce this. The hunter who cares about the law isn't wasting to begin with. It's the criminal and gun control argument. 

Edited by Belo
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, goosifer said:

If I understand this correctly, I think a good compromise would be to allow crossbow instead of gun.

hey now, you probably hit exactly on their intent there! Scare the crap out of them with what could be, so what we actually want doesn't seem so bad. 

 

very clever. very clever indeed. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Belo said:

I was a little surprised to see this isn't already a law. That being said, this state is great at writing laws and ordnances about how many people can gather, what attachments your gun can have etc. Yet we don't really have any way to enforce it. Heck even the most egregious poachers rarely get caught even with the laws we have today. With 1 DEC officer per 100 square miles or whatever it is, I just don't see how they'll enforce this. The hunter who cares about the law isn't wasting to begin with. It's the criminal and gun control argument. 

i was surprised too.  But just because they are low on enforcement they should def put it in. One more detterent and if someone is caught they can be prosecuted for it.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chrisw said:

I'm not getting sucked into this vortex but... Noone likes more competition, it's nature. Would you like to stand in line to get bread when you went to the store because everyone was out? Or how about more mountain bikers on your cherished turkey paradise? What if they changed the turkey regs to allowing rimfire rifles in Stewart? How would you feel then? It's easy to spout off when you have nothing to lose. The people who are diehard bowhunters feel that we do have something to lose, right or wrong and we're allowed that opinion the same as you're allowed yours. You will not shame me into feeling lesser about my opposition to crossbows. In fact, without getting too personal here, you are exactly the type I worry about. The type who for some unknown reason is all for crossbows but has no interest in hunting otherwise. The type who wants to walk a trail and shoot deer that stand on the side because it's EASY. The kind who could hunt with a crossbow now but chooses not too for reasons unknown. So.... Before you try shaming another hunter look at it from both sides. Put some scenarios in your head about turkey hunting since that's your passion, and I'll bet allowing rifles, or electronic calls, or Spring baiting would stick in your craw too....

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
 

very well said Chris. Honest and true. The only point I'd add on to what you said is with regard to challenge. Archery was meant to be a challenge. It was never intended to be easy. Yes technology has improved over the decades, but fundamentally the hunter still chooses his or her challenge. The obvious reply to this is "well let me choose to use a crossbow" and that's a fair counter, if it wasn't for the type and style of hunting being so drastically different.

I think many of us anti crossbow guys know it's a matter of time. I've said 100 times though, keep it the way it is and make it easier for elderly and disabled. The season is fine with me today, even if my nose twitches when i see those crossbow selfies in the "live from the woods" thread :)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Selling wild game meat is un heard of.. that better not pass. That is flat out disgusting on many levels! Absolutely wrong. We cant trust people for anything these days, now your going to allow them to sell "road killed or harvested game" disgusting! 

The dawn til dusk rule is wonderful, it will change nothing on how shots are taken, besides making the early shooters, who (mostly all) can clearly make out there target and what's behind them, legal vs being illegally taking game. Not a big deal. Shots wont get fired any earlier than they already do..  

Xbow.. no comment.. ITs not the weapon that bothers me as much.. TIs how its treated, its the people you don't want in the woods are now in the woods all season doing there un sportsman, unethical garbage the entire season now and not just half of the season like before.... In 3 seasons i've seen mor ewounded to Xbow than vertical archery..  

Doe tags and their issuance need to be re addressed.. Our properties are loaded with doe and you can barely get ahold of a tag, going on many years now unless you own the land. The mature bucks used to be present all over, now they seem fewer and farther between 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...