DEC Unveils New Deer Management Plan

Five Seasons

1 hour ago, Belo said:

Do you really think that side by side, per capita the bowhunter (who is often also a gun hunter) doesn't edge out the gun only hunter with their style and approach to hunting? Just on its face if you consider the bow hunter is so obsessed with deer hunting he decided to invest thousands of dollars and countless more hours to do more of something they have a passion for. Take any hobby or sport, the truly dedicated and passionate tend to be the most outspoken and greatest advocates. They know what's at stake and what can be lost from bad apples. Baseballs and steroids are a great analogy.

Sure, no single group is pure and without their rotten apples. But I do think in general, the bowhunter is a more ethical hunter. If someone wanted to study this they could always research the number of DEC violations during regular season vs archery and that'd be a good start. 

Maybe true for some bowhunters, but I am typically highly skeptical of those who continue to claim that they are the ones with the superior ethics, sportsmanship and keep telling me that they are the better hunters in general.  Most people who boast about themselves are far from what they claim to be.  Sorry that I have such little faith in my fellow man.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, steve863 said:

Maybe true for some bowhunters, but I am typically highly skeptical of those who continue to claim that they are the ones with the superior ethics, sportsmanship and keep telling me that they are the better hunters in general.  Most people who boast about themselves are far from what they claim to be. 

Well said ..... X2

• Like 2

I love when we are compared to ohio where its taken decades for archery/ crossbow harvest to surpass gun take. A liberal archery season. And allowed urban hunting with permits. Not apple to apples at all... 

The biggest problem in ny imo is the legnth of gun season. And the nonstop pressure that exists . I would love to see a split season of 5 or 7 days followed by 7 to 10 days of no hunting , followed by another short season.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, steve863 said:

Maybe true for some bowhunters, but I am typically highly skeptical of those who continue to claim that they are the ones with the superior ethics, sportsmanship and keep telling me that they are the better hunters in general.  Most people who boast about themselves are far from what they claim to be.  Sorry that I have such little faith in my fellow man.

Can you name one that claims to have superior ethics LOL

52 minutes ago, steve863 said:

I think you and I are agreeing and disagreeing haha. I too believe that the boastful hunter has something to hide. But I would say that an ethical hunter doesn't actually have to be a good hunter at all. A hunters skill and his ethics are mutually exclusive.

4 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

I will always bust peoples balls for taking the easy route , we give guys who ride 4 wheelers instead of dirt bikes the same treatment.  

What trad bows do you hunt with 100% of the archery season?

The ONLY reason one chooses a compound instead of a recurve is because it is easier to be accurate - and this is FINE! What's not fine is the wanting their bar for easier to be the limit for everyone. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, SteveB said:

The ONLY reason one chooses a compound instead of a recurve is because it is easier to be accurate - and this is FINE! What's not fine is the wanting their bar for easier to be the limit for everyone. 

Yep. After.a compound is sighted in it only.takes a few shots to again be proficient to 25 or 30 yards . Most archers i know practice for a month or.more before the seasonnand then never shoot an arrow untill they shoot at a deer.

At least with a crossbow they have to shoot it off everyday and many do shoot at a target to discharge. So in fact they are practicing more than the archer who simply takes off the arrow untill the next day he goes hunting..... lol

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Yep. After.a compound is sighted in it only.takes a few shots to again be proficient to 25 or 30 yards . Most archers i know practice for a month or.more before the seasonnand then never shoot an arrow untill they shoot at a deer.

At least with a crossbow they have to shoot it off everyday and many do shoot at a target to discharge. So in fact they are practicing more than the archer who simply takes off the arrow untill the next day he goes hunting..... lol

They have to shoot it everyday ? Oh because it just stays at full draw all day 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, SteveB said:

Bingo.  Therein lies the problem Steve.  Many like to set the minimum level of difficulty, effort etc. where they are comfortable with it.  I find it interesting that many that hunt with trad bows like you have no objection to crossbows.   I really don't care myself and go from wanting to hunt with a trad bow, to only wanting the compound at times.   Frankly, I like the option.  But to each his own. 

I actually find the compound easier to hunt with than a xbow as its more maneuverable in the stand.

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

They have to shoot it everyday ? Oh because it just stays at full draw all day 

Yep and drawing and holding a bow with 90 % is cheating too. Unless someone is using a longbow or recurve they have no right to complain

I’ll never understand why anyone cares what other people hunt with it. As long as it’s legal, I don’t care what people use. I’ve never sat in the woods with a bow, xbow, shotgun or rifle and wondered what other people are using.

If you want to only bowhunt, you certainly can through the entire season and gun seasons. Nobody makes you switch from bow to gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I’ll never understand why anyone cares what other people hunt with it. As long as it’s legal, I don’t care what people use. I’ve never sat in the woods with a bow, xbow, shotgun or rifle and wondered what other people are using.

If you want to only bowhunt, you certainly can through the entire season and gun seasons. Nobody makes you switch from bow to gun.

But have you sat in the woods and played with the choke tube of a loaded shot gun is the question.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Great, now we have to set let off limits at 80 percent.  lol

I was happy with 50% now there are bows that their own weight of riser holds bow drawn... crazy..  and using fingers on a compound for years with a tab.. day releases were legal i think everyone bought one,cause it was just like pulling a trigger on a gun!!!

• Like 4

Shot my first compound a Golden Eagle , fingers, one brass pin sight , a flipper  rest , five inch feathers , two, blade Magus . Used that bow for 18 years from 1989 to 2008 . Have no,idea what let off it was .

• Like 2

But have you sat in the woods and played with the choke tube of a loaded shot gun is the question.

Not this year. Haven’t hunted with shotgun this year.

Later today, I’ll hunt with the bow