What Would you do?

G-Man

2 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

So if he didn't live between you and your neighbor you'd have corked him?  Me, I'd be filling out a tag.........

Hes in about a 9 acre lot, have my freezer full from archery, very thick area aganst my 20 acre sanctuary..he has a very good chance of making it to next year. If he was only missing a point he may of gat a bullet headed his way, but to much gone , shame to take him that way i think.

• Like 2

I would have shot him!!!  Like Nomad, for the first time in many years I still have my buck tag. I've been after two specific bucks all season. I have passed on a couple other bucks, that I probably shouldn't have. But was in for all or nothing. I got nothing. And barely any deer on camera now too. 

So, with no meat in my freezer, I am going for the 'brown it's down' this weekend!

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Nomad said:

This year I came to the realization that I’m a meat hunter ( although I do prefer my meat to have horns ) .

Not having meat now bothers me more then not having antlers to toss in a pile .

Not punching a tag can humble a person, I have always been a meat hunter. Im fortunate to harvest mature bucks from time to time, but if a mature doe or young buck are in my sights, I need meat and I feel like I want that deer, then I will shoot. I never ever make excuses, I have nobody to please. I love eating deer meat, bottom line.

• Like 3

This probably should be a new topic,, but I must say that in the grand ole scheme of things I think as a whole we are the minority of the NY hunting population. For the most part all on this site are pretty successful in getting deer. I hear so many stories where NY hunters go years without getting a deer (and these are not trophy hunters). Or hear story of 7 guys on 500 acres and they only take one deer and between them all only see 2 deer. As a group I think we are all pretty lucky. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, NYBowhunter said:

This probably should be a new topic,, but I must say that in the grand ole scheme of things I think as a whole we are the minority of the NY hunting population. For the most part all on this site are pretty successful in getting deer. I hear so many stories where NY hunters go years without getting a deer (and these are not trophy hunters). Or hear story of 7 guys on 500 acres and they only take one deer and between them all only see 2 deer. As a group I think we are all pretty lucky. 

I agree,  ive killed more deer with my car than a lot of hunters i know 24  since 1987.  Killed 5 in one year.. insurance wasnt happy.  But i also put 30 k on a car a year.   More time driving and more time hunting =  more deer or at lest chances of deer. 

My colision shop. Said they wil give me a cake for my 25th.. been 16 months so far .. avoing the cake...

• Haha 1

But we ( that’s a universal “we” by the way- not just you and I) are also quite dedicated to the pursuit I would say. Many (even those with land) are not committed to it or simply don’t prioritize harvesting game as we do.
I wet a line every once and awhile and often get skunked on waters that many on here would shred I am sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, G-Man said:

I agree,  ive killed more deer with my car than a lot of hunters i know 24  since 1987.  Killed 5 in one year.. insurance wasnt happy.  But i also put 30 k on a car a year.   More time driving and more time hunting =  more deer or at lest chances of deer. 

My colision shop. Said they wil give me a cake for my 25th.. been 16 months so far .. avoing the cake...

Ouch, holy crap thats alot of collisions. Damn, be careful out there.

13 minutes ago, crappyice said:

But we ( that’s a universal “we” by the way- not just you and I) are also quite dedicated to the pursuit I would say. Many (even those with land) are not committed to it or simply don’t prioritize harvesting game as we do.
I wet a line every once and awhile and often get skunked on waters that many on here would shred I am sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, for me atlleast its a commitment and passion. I try to better my land, some years I do more, some years very little, but I do something. Also I put the time in to get deer, sometimes it only takes a couple hours to get a deer or three...lol..and sometimes the whole season. 

Dont want to sound as a downer but after some recent events and family losses, I realized life is too short to plan for next yr or season.

I would shoot the deer that lets me, not hoping for it to grow till next yr. What if I am not around or that deer gets killed by truck.

So fill your tags now before we are in the bag ;)

• Like 1