Recommended Posts

Started looking for a decent used 4 wheeler recently.  Thinking Honda, Yamaha or Suzuki although I have no personal experience with the last two. I've owned numerous Honda product and my buddy has two Foreman machines so do know a little about them.  All my seat time with the Honda machines was with foot shift systems and am quite surprised to see lots of the push button shifting on machines on the web, listed for sale.  The other thing I have seen is power steering.....?

Seems these days brand new four wheelers are scarce as hens teeth, driving used machine prices through the roof.  I've looked at a couple that I spotted on FB Marketplace; one local that could have been a decent deal if the guy that owned it since new didn't just pound the living snot out of it since it was new, he couldn't even clean the thing up prior to listing it.  It didn't have many miles on it but he lied about that, telling me it had 100 miles on it and I got there and it was closer to 500.  The mileage wasn't the big deal the lie was. Also, it had oil all over the side of it and he told me that he changed the front and rear diff fluids because they looked milky?  It was a 2018 Rancher and unless that thing was swamped badly it shouldn't have needed that.  Believe me, he wasn't a mechanic doing it because he was anal, something was up with it.  I walked on that one....

Looked at another one today that was a 2012 Foreman on a local farm, only about 950 miles and 200 some hours but it looked like it fell off a rail car and got dragged for a couple miles.  Too bad, the price wasn't bad and I think I could have chewed him down some more. (chewed, not _____)  One other thing about that one that had me nervous, the guys father bought it in Pennsylvania and they didn't have any paper work on the purchase, that gave me a furrowed brow. :)

I checked at a couple local dealers and they (like I mentioned) have little new stock and almost no used rides.  If anyone knows of a decent deal on a good 400-700 machine, holler.


Please support the hunting of Mourning Dove In New York State.  For information, visit nydovehunting.weebly.com/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The new Hondas are built with basically an automatic transmission like a car or truck. I mentioned it before but there is a shortage of machines and an excess of buyers . ATV salesmen get to play salesmen for once in their life. 

Edited by Jeremy K
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can hook you up with a Honda Spree and put training wheels on it to make it a 4 wheeler if you want? 

  • Haha 1

Give it a name, apply human sentiment, and its no longer a wild animal its a Disney character.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Larry, not being a small person, I would focus on the larger motor, especially if you plan to haul deer and do any plot work.   Good luck with your search.  Have loved mine since we bought it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

I can hook you up with a Honda Spree and put training wheels on it to make it a 4 wheeler if you want? 

Do you really have a line on a spree? I'm sort of looking for one for a project. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Also if looking at dealerships you can save some serious coin by leaving NYS , almost everyone who buys a dirtbike will leave the state to do so. 

 

EDIT, now that i think about it ,i'm not sure if thats true for 4 wheelers , MX bikes dont get registered or pay the same taxes as NYS . Not sure how the taxes work for registering a 4 wheeler. 

Edited by Jeremy K

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

https://motoworldatv.com/Inventory/Pre-Owned-Inventory
This is where we got our kodiaks, they get repossessions from the banks, so their pretty good on price. They we’re very easy to deal with , titles included and they registered them for us. And they threw in 2 helmets with the wheelers. 
Any of the 3 you suggested will work, I like my Yamaha’s all the reliability of Honda’s but have good power to have some  fun. And Yamaha warranties their drive belt for 10 years, they have the best cvt system hands down. 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Do you really have a line on a spree? I'm sort of looking for one for a project. 

I shouldn't speak for Dan but I will (!).........He bought a Honda Spree from me a few years ago.  It was my FIL's and I got it fired up and listed it here for shits & giggles.  He made me an offer I couldn't refuse and even drove up and got it.  I doubt he's looking to sell but maybe??


Please support the hunting of Mourning Dove In New York State.  For information, visit nydovehunting.weebly.com/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

I shouldn't speak for Dan but I will (!).........He bought a Honda Spree from me a few years ago.  It was my FIL's and I got it fired up and listed it here for shits & giggles.  He made me an offer I couldn't refuse and even drove up and got it.  I doubt he's looking to sell but maybe??

Everything's for sale right now, I'm generating hunt funds for something epic. And I'm cleaning out all the buildings, too much 'stuff' anyway.

Haven't run it in a spell, I think it needs more carb work. But I putter around the county park and a couple local ponds to fish.

JK pm me if you want to inquire more about it.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Give it a name, apply human sentiment, and its no longer a wild animal its a Disney character.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought a new CanAM in 2013, and when I was looking I told myself I didn't need power steering. Let me tell you, it's awesome! It has 3 different levels of power steering and you can turn the bars with one finger. I love the CanAm wheelers, no issues with mine. It's a 500 V twin, and I've never "needed" more power. I even put oversize tires, huge lugs and steel wheels on it and it'll still do anything I want it to. IMG_20191206_162349206.jpg

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

Everything's for sale right now, I'm generating hunt funds for something epic. And I'm cleaning out all the buildings, too much 'stuff' anyway.

Haven't run it in a spell, I think it needs more carb work. But I putter around the county park and a couple local ponds to fish.

JK pm me if you want to inquire more about it.

LOL, me and my speculating. 

So there ya go Jeremy, it went east and now it could come west again. :)

So Mr Dinsdale......"EPIC HUNT"??  You have some explaining to do...........

  • Like 1

Please support the hunting of Mourning Dove In New York State.  For information, visit nydovehunting.weebly.com/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just sold a 2014 Polaris Sportsmen 500 for $500 over Kelly Blue Book and I think I could have got $500 more than that if I asked for it. I also sold a 10 year old landscape trailer for $1100, I think I paid $1600 back then.  New ones now go for $1800 if you can find them.   Covid has really pushed the used market of practically anything sky high.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got a 2013 suzuki king quad 500. 500 Plus mile on it. The only problem is alittle body damage got stuck in a sink hole and it just kept sinking couldnt get to the frame. So hooked to the front grill twirted the plastic and wont go back into place. The thing is a beast still runs perfect just doesnt look pretty. Would be willing to sell I got it on a great 0% interest deal brand new.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

I got a 2013 suzuki king quad 500. 500 Plus mile on it. The only problem is alittle body damage got stuck in a sink hole and it just kept sinking couldnt get to the frame. So hooked to the front grill twirted the plastic and wont go back into place. The thing is a beast still runs perfect just doesnt look pretty. Would be willing to sell I got it on a great 0% interest deal brand new.

Sent you a PM.


Please support the hunting of Mourning Dove In New York State.  For information, visit nydovehunting.weebly.com/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dont have much experience in this topic but i can say the arctic cat 350 4x4 we have doesnt start worth a chit in the cold,the neighbor across the road has the same problem with his.only other wheeler we have on property is my grandfathers honda "big red" 3 wheeler that"ll fire up before the 4 wheeler does!!!!good luck with purchase!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, doebuck1234 said:

Dont have much experience in this topic but i can say the arctic cat 350 4x4 we have doesnt start worth a chit in the cold,the neighbor across the road has the same problem with his.only other wheeler we have on property is my grandfathers honda "big red" 3 wheeler that"ll fire up before the 4 wheeler does!!!!good luck with purchase!

I bought a new Honda Big Red (3 wheeler) in 1986..........it never left me or anybody else stranded.  I think I put a few batteries in it over the years and sold it to my uncle back in the pate 90's.  He sold it about 5 years ago and I'd bet dollars to donuts it's still running like a champ.

  • Like 2

Please support the hunting of Mourning Dove In New York State.  For information, visit nydovehunting.weebly.com/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

I bought a new Honda Big Red (3 wheeler) in 1986..........it never left me or anybody else stranded.  I think I put a few batteries in it over the years and sold it to my uncle back in the pate 90's.  He sold it about 5 years ago and I'd bet dollars to donuts it's still running like a champ.

I had one too and just sold it about 5 years ago. That thing dragged and hauled out a hell of a pile of deer over the years! I stopped buying batteries for it, as it started on the first pull EVERY time, even after sitting in the shed all winter! Good times!!


"It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice." - Wease

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cabin Fever said:

I had one too and just sold it about 5 years ago. That thing dragged and hauled out a hell of a pile of deer over the years! I stopped buying batteries for it, as it started on the first pull EVERY time, even after sitting in the shed all winter! Good times!!

Mine had a kick start, not a recoil rope......and it was a bear to start.


Please support the hunting of Mourning Dove In New York State.  For information, visit nydovehunting.weebly.com/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Mine had a kick start, not a recoil rope......and it was a bear to start.

Are you sure it was a big red ? The 250SX were shaft drive with electric and kickstart . I don't remember the big reds ever having kick start. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My dad bought a used Honda 1986 (I think) 200sx 4 wheeler when my brother and I were young. Sob was fast as hell mid 50mph, raced next to car to verify!! We races that thing hard thru the woods and it was 100% bulletproof. 


Switching gears to habitat improvements!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Are you sure it was a big red ? The 250SX were shaft drive with electric and kickstart . I don't remember the big reds ever having kick start. 

Positive.........


Please support the hunting of Mourning Dove In New York State.  For information, visit nydovehunting.weebly.com/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just like old times Larry.. 

0F0FF91E-CCEB-4506-9094-66325813F13B.png

  • Haha 1

Switching gears to habitat improvements!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Pretty sure the one in this picture was a 1985 (my buddies) but yea, mine was a 1986 for sure.....

EDIT-I looked closer and this one could have been mine.  My buddy Rob lived with me on Campbell Blvd and we would ride like manics on both the east and west side of Campbell.   Well over 1000 acres we'd run through like the 25 year old punks we were.

50pyF9D.jpg

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 1

Please support the hunting of Mourning Dove In New York State.  For information, visit nydovehunting.weebly.com/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Are you sure it was a big red ? The 250SX were shaft drive with electric and kickstart . I don't remember the big reds ever having kick start. 

LOL, it just came to me after messing with Google.  The kick start is under the red plastic logo'd cover on the right side of the machine.......you had to pop it off (three grommets with plugs held it in place) then you could fold the shifter in and replace the cover.

A couple other things I saw on Google I forgot about were the detachable headlight and how the rear fenders and rack were hinged.  You'd take the seat off and spin out a couple big headed knobs, then lift it up.  Very cool but dangerous machine.

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 2

Please support the hunting of Mourning Dove In New York State.  For information, visit nydovehunting.weebly.com/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.