Where are all the bucks

luberhill

Keeping my trail cams out .. I’m still seeing a few bucks , all at night , same with the does ..

Had lots of nice daytime buck and doe pics pre season , then shut down the week before bow .

All night pics after that...I’ve got one cam near known bedding area next to a nice big creek .. tons of trails and tracks thru the thickets and weeds ..

No movement now 

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

Places that hold heat and provide shelter.   Pines are a good example.   Or the local holiday inn.  

Yes ,habitat that hold heat especailly. South facing slopes, pine, beech, oaks spruce ,hemlock anything that traps a few extra degrees of heat,or allows them to absorb extra sunlight

Its an important componant that is lacking in many areas or has out grown its usefulness ,once over 10 to 15 ft tall beech and oak leaves left on tree are to high to provide thermal cover , pine/spruce/fir / hemlock all have hight limitations to provide thermal cover and soon just become home for red squirrels. 

I have seen deer hole up in abandon barns to get out of weather. Old motels may work as well...

Some deer migrate to a "winter range". This has been documented in Michigan's UP. Many decades ago I lived in Locke, NY. One Spring day I was surprised to see hundreds of deer walking North nose to tail on the hillside across from my house. There was a large hayfield perhaps 500 or 600 yards long running basically North/South and the deer were traversing it. Single file. I noticed them after lunch and they were still pouring North at dark. I hesitate to estimate how many deer I saw that day- you probably wouldn't believe me anyway. I don't know where the deer had spent the Winter or where they were headed, but no doubt they were migrating. I mentioned it to one of my elderly neighbors and was casually told that "yah, they do that every Spring".

• Like 1

Based on my cameras just finished pulling cards....they are bedding in woods adjacent or as close as possible to available food sources which are more limited this time of year.   Seem to be herding up a bit but not huge groups like I see with heavy snow cover.  Bucks seem to have already formed bachelor groups with their bros.  

6C76DFB9-27AE-47AC-A9FD-D9F0F3222C4C.jpeg

F69A87AA-D5AE-4B24-A93D-D268B8DA38D6.jpeg

D4723463-CEC1-4416-9A44-73202E8595A0.jpeg

41E62501-F93F-4060-ADD9-EDA71B67E8CF.jpeg

47F79E3B-95A4-4567-8A2E-3C70736EE8DB.jpeg

D143689F-4153-4FF3-AACB-971DEB31D062.jpeg

6BCC75F0-4FB8-406E-A90B-7B6D32457545.jpeg

4DC4E191-22A7-4E6F-8F70-F1A20FC11473.jpeg

CFA31F5D-F2B6-4B83-BAAF-5632ED5F5BD7.jpeg

E2ABEEE3-1BCD-472D-873B-5585F2C98089.jpeg

• Like 1

On 1/10/2021 at 1:54 PM, Northcountryman said:

Gonna be harder now to discern buck from doe anyway once they start shedding 

Yeah, I was just going to say that.  I found a recently shed antler down here in Pennsylvania on Saturday.  It seemed a bit early but it was freshly shed and was not broken off.  

I have a trail cam set up and I have been getting buck pictures where they are coming in to feed in a clover field but all pictures have been in the night time.  We have late archery still open for a few more days and I have not been able to see a deer in daylight hours, not even a doe.