2020/21 sheds

ANTLERS

• 2 weeks later...

4 miles and nothing to be found...walked up on two different “family groups “ of deer ...no horns but no balls seen for confirmation of dropped antlers. May need to head for some preserves I know that do not allow hunting to see what’s still walking around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So, this is pretty cool...On the hike yesterday when I found the sheds, I got pics of a buck still holding onto one side of his shed antlers. I think he might be the buck that dropped one of the sheds I found. His antler looks pretty similar to coloration and symetry to one of the ones that I found...and he was in the general area of the direction where the fresh tracks were going.  

DSC01620.JPG

DSC01616.JPG

• Like 16

10 hours ago, suburbanfarmer said:

@phade

You are one lucky man to be in a such a target rich area.

The harder I work the luckier I get. We plotted three acres of brassicas, wheats, etc. in this spot. I doubt these would be where they were without the added food. If anything I was lucky because my hunting partner couldn't make it at the last minute, LOL!

Edited by phade
  • Like 3

Here is a pile of sheds from the outfitter in Saskatchewan I hunted with a couple of years ago. He picks them up from the thousands of acres of grain fields when farming. They are big problems for him, they puncture high cost tractor tires.

He was really pissed off at his dad the following year when I returned. A stranger had stopped by the farm when he was away in town. The guy offered his dad $200.00 for the whole pile and his dad sold them to him. He thought he was doing his son a favor by making room in the barn.

Sasketchewan sheds.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Went out this morning for a walk. First find was a set with a cool brow tine. Second was a box turtle shell. Third was a dead seven pointer with a well placed arrow hole in it. Fourth was a little two point.
b99441e2ef27ff75f8058d3bc24962a2.jpg
29afe6fa7fd6ceb0bfeb178b6adafadc.jpg
Does anyone know what made these?there where hundreds of them on oak trees. There outside is made from oak leaves the inside had a spongy thing.
d4034b11befbac89433e58d216b665bc.jpg

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, rachunter said:

Went out this morning for a walk. First find was a set with a cool brow tine. Second was a box turtle shell. Third was a dead seven pointer with a well placed arrow hole in it. Fourth was a little two point.
b99441e2ef27ff75f8058d3bc24962a2.jpg
29afe6fa7fd6ceb0bfeb178b6adafadc.jpg
Does anyone know what made these?there where hundreds of them on oak trees. There outside is made from oak leaves the inside had a spongy thing.
d4034b11befbac89433e58d216b665bc.jpg

Oak leaf galls  made by an insect when you find the grub inside they make excellent bait for fishing

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Brad this is getting annoying ! I’m up to zero sheds found ,although I did find two old bottle / can dumps , got some old jars and will dig the piles after shed season .

Tomorrow Webster Park, I found a crazy spot last week ,  just crisscrossed with trials and more droppings then I’ve seen anywhere ,had the wife and dog, so I’m returning solo .

2 hours ago, Nomad said:

Brad this is getting annoying ! I’m up to zero sheds found ,although I did find two old bottle / can dumps , got some old jars and will dig the piles after shed season .

Tomorrow Webster Park, I found a crazy spot last week ,  just crisscrossed with trials and more droppings then I’ve seen anywhere ,had the wife and dog, so I’m returning solo .

I have 9 for the season and my hunting partner 3, which I believe is probably my best count in 3-4 years and by far my best "start" to a shed hunting season. That said, it'll tail off quickly. One of our best shed hunting spots doesn't exist any longer - literally wiped off the map due to clear cutting and earth moving. If I found more than one or two more, I'd be surprised. I don't and won't shed hunt areas I can't hunt or at least deer that I can't hunt. I don't hold value in finding a shed that I'll never be able to pursue. Some people use them for art, for resale, or home decorations, etc. I'm in it for the hunting component.

Find trails that come off fields getting into tight cover. I'll find quite a few in those spots. Usually that and places where deer have to jump. Fences, creek banks, etc.

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

My friend and also neighbor found one side to my number one target from this season. He also found one side last year. He grew quite a bit in a year. I hope to have him around again this coming year and maybe get a chance at him. Without measuring I would guess he was about 140" this past season. 

20210311_175717.jpg

• Like 8