What’s a decent gun safe

luberhill

Personally I’d go for Sturdy a nice mid range actual safe .

https://www.sturdysafe.com

The ones you see in the box stores are not really “ safes” .

One needs to balance what you want it to do vs. what you got in it . Many won’t spend a few grand to protect a couple grand in guns . Do you want to, protect guns from kids and sneak thieves ,or protect many thousands of dollars of guns ,cash, jewelry , gold from more knowledgeable thief’s ? 

One problem with “ safes” is guys load them up like Easter baskets , all their guns , jewelry ,cash, cameras , high end binos , all in one spot ,where before the safe it’s all spread out in the house .

Most box store safes can be entered with a angle grinder in minutes . Or pried open .

Whatever you get keep it out of sight, if I know the brand YouTube will tell me the best way in , and bolt it down in a corner .

Oh for nine years I built safes .

if you want an actual safe look for TL30 and above .

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, sbuff said:

Mine is steel but its an older one . I thought 10ga steel but I would need to look for paper work 

They are 12 gage steel which is sheet metal ..

I want it plate at least in the door .

I just want a us made quality ..

I have a Redhead now which is basically the same as the Cannon

They are fine for keeping kids out and most thief’s 

My parents bought me one for christmas the year my oldest was born. I think it's a 12 gun field and stream and it's all I really need for durability. But when you tack on scopes and stuff, it's nowhere near 12 gun. I'd recommend you always get bigger than you think you need because you WILL get more guns and add things like important paperwork or shelves for ammo etc.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Belo said:

My parents bought me one for christmas the year my oldest was born. I think it's a 12 gun field and stream and it's all I really need for durability. But when you tack on scopes and stuff, it's nowhere near 12 gun. I'd recommend you always get bigger than you think you need because you WILL get more guns and add things like important paperwork or shelves for ammo etc.

I’ve seen some guys say stager them muzzle up and muzzle down

13 minutes ago, Belo said:

I have no science to support this, but I'm not sure I could store my gun with the muzzle down. Just seems wrong and maybe that's because doing so in the field IS wrong... idk. Couldn't do it lol.

I would be worried about damaging the crown and impacting accuracy.  Not likely but why risk it.

I do store guns alternating up and down in safe to maximize capacity.  But everything in the safe is in a gun sock to prevent safe rash.  As far a capacity what other say here is quite correct.  I have no idea what gun they used to establish capacity.  It must have been those 22 cal. Crickets.

My safes are Sentry.  I know not top of the line but when I bought them they were made just down the road from me until Master-lock bought Sentry and screwed all the employees.  I think they are made in Mexico now.  I won't buy another.

A lot of safe make a big deal out of fire rating.  It's very unlikely in a fire that your safe would heat up unless fire is in the room and around your safe.  Most decent size safes have to be a decent floor.   Mine all weigh over 500 lbs. The basement or ground floor is often the location.

A bigger problem is water damage.  Fire men will pump enough water into a house to fill a basement.  A watertight seal in door is a benefit

I didn't get my panties in an uproar about break-ins.  As long as it would take an angle grinder to get into I was OK with that.  Most thief are targets of opportunity and not master criminals.  The pit bull security system in my house works quite well.

• Like 1

I also have a Sentry. When they were local they would have periodic inventory reduction sales. I grabbed a pair of the 10 gun models that weigh in around 400 lbs apiece. I was sad to see them move the shop. They used to be located close to the old Beikrich's gun shop that has since closed up. 

I stagger mine as well. The carpeted floor doesn't seem to do harm. Also a dehumidifier is a good idea to remove moisture in the safe. That actually reminds me that I should check mine today.