Want to rant a bit

luberhill

Three years ago I set up a scholarship at a local school .

It was to go to a student pursuing a career in the medical field .

It’s probably the largest yearly scholarship given out and it will go on forever with the money I gave and the way it was invested.

The person that won the first year sent me a very nice hand written thank you.

Last year and this year nothing !

Part of me doesn’t care but a part of me is angry that these kids got a very nice chunk of money and can’t even take 5 minutes to acknowledge it .

My parents would have jacked my ass

Ok rant over 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mlammerhirt said:

Shame on the selection committee for not strongly suggesting a formal thank you note be sent to the donors of all the scholarships given out at this particular school.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

It’s my understanding there is a card with the donors address on it inserted in the scholarship envelope 

Three years ago I set up a scholarship at a local school .
 It was to go to a student pursuing a career in the medical field .
 It’s probably the largest yearly scholarship given out and it will go on forever with the money I gave and the way it was invested.
The person that won the first year sent me a very nice hand written thank you.
Last year and this year nothing !
Part of me doesn’t care but a part of me is angry that these kids got a very nice chunk of money and can’t even take 5 minutes to acknowledge it .
 My parents would have jacked my ass
Ok rant over 

Very sad indeed. Maybe move the funds to something else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If this is a competitive scholarships, I’d be surprised that someone would jump through all the hoops of the application process (essays, soliciting letters of recommendation, etc), not to mention have worked consistently hard enough to meet the qualifications to win the award, and then overlook a request to send the donor a letter. 

I’d bet that the envelope you mentioned was only there in year 1. Unfortunately if the scholarship committee fails to detail the background of the award it just becomes faceless name associated with the prize. I wouldn’t take it personal. Inquire with the scholarship office on whether the awardees continue to be advised to write a thank you letter if this is something that is important to you. I’m certain that the recipient would be all too happy to do so if offered the opportunity. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BowmanMike said:

That is pretty lame. When my wife went to nursing school she got some small scholarships out of the blue that she didn't even apply for but she wrote thank you notes,common courtesy. 

Agree, and this isn’t a small amount, not that that should matter.

Oh well

We have endowed lectures that allow us to bring in some big names to talk, and the family of the person who the lecture is named after is invited and acknowledged prior to the presentation. This is as it should be, in perpetuity. 

I'd contact the selection committee and ask whether they conveyed the donor's information to the student. In fact, the scholarship should be awarded in your (or your designee's) name. IMHO, your generosity should be acknowledged by the institution at the very least, every single year. 

• Like 3

Your a great and generous man.Certainly acknowledgement should be automatic,that said the generation that is receiving the awards believe in entitlement.Parents of these individuals are also lacking in general parenting skills.

Edited by farmer 52

2 minutes ago, farmer 52 said:

Your a great and generous man.Certainly acknowledgement should be automatic,that said the generation that is receiving the awards believe in entitlement.Parents of these individuals are also lacking in general parenting skills.

This is the generation where you go to a birthday party and everyone leaves with a gift lol. And then the birthday kid has to write a letter to each attendee thanking them for their gift. And then all attendees write a letter thanking the birthday kid for the party and parting gift. Its exhausting.

Having said that the recipient of that scholarship should absolutely write a long letter thanking you for your generosity

• Like 1

Parents of these individuals are also lacking in general parenting skills.

This!!!
No way we wonderful children wrote those thank you notes on our own. Our parents MADE US which seems to be the lacking piece today creating the entitled children we are criticizing.
How dare the parent of the scholarship winner allow the winner to not write the thank you note.
Rant modified???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

This is the generation where you go to a birthday party and everyone leaves with a gift lol. And then the birthday kid has to write a letter to each attendee thanking them for their gift. And then all attendees write a letter thanking the birthday kid for the party and parting gift. Its exhausting.

Having said that the recipient of that scholarship should absolutely write a long letter thanking you for your generosity

I figured I’d at least get a pre printed form thank you :)

• Like 1

I can certainly see your point. Appreciation goes a long way.

As time goes on however, I’ve learned that needing that appreciation devalues the act in and of itself. The gift you provided and the opportunity it creates is paying it forward. It’s why I don’t loan money to people. If they need money and I deem worthy, I don’t expect to see it again. It is what it is.

You may find peace if you just focus on what you did and know that it makes a positive impact.

Edited by phade
  • Like 2

Luberhill, you might not have received a letter, note or in person thank you but your generosity and community service speaks volumes. 

Hopefully your helping someone make a better life for themselves and there family present and future. 

The only negative that could come of this is if you are deterred from future generosity. I hope that doesn't happen, the world needs more people like you.

From an average New Yorker like me I would like to say thanks!

• Like 3

6. [1] Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven. [4] That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly. ...