One less tearing up the corn fields.

Four Seasons

On 9/19/2021 at 8:31 PM, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

What town you in I also hunt the independence river wild forest in lowvillle. Miller's meat market an Eddie's and croghan meat market are great.

Agreed! The Independence is a property line at the camp i belong to. Love fishing it and I've hunted the Wild Forest quite a bit in recent years.  

Nice bear as well! Love a well cooked bear roast!

Edited by SilentStalker

1 hour ago, SilentStalker said:

Agreed! The Independence is a property line at the camp i belong to. Love fishing it and I've hunted the Wild Forest quite a bit in recent years.  

Nice bear as well! Love a well cooked bear roast!

On 9/19/2021 at 8:31 PM, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

What town you in I also hunt the independence river wild forest in lowvillle. Miller's meat market an Eddie's and croghan meat market are great.

Miller's is def great!  I might take a deer there this year even though it's an hour away. 

Did the independence come back?  35 years ago it was great and then for quite a while couldn't hardly buy brookie out of there.  Used to fish the Sperryville area and once I got 2 - 14" brookies out of the same hole. Beautiful stream.  Spent a lot of time on Otter, Crystal and Sunday creeks too.  My Dad had a camp on Chase lake. 

24 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Miller's is def great!  I might take a deer there this year even though it's an hour away. 

Did the independence come back?  35 years ago it was great and then for quite a while couldn't hardly buy brookie out of there.  Used to fish the Sperryville area and once I got 2 - 14" brookies out of the same hole. Beautiful stream.  Spent a lot of time on Otter, Crystal and Sunday creeks too.  My Dad had a camp on Chase lake. 

If you haven't had it, I love Millers' dry brine and put it on red meat, poultry, and pork. It never gets old to me. 

I've been going up there for 16 years and the old timers who are all gone now always said the Independence was second to none as a brook trout fishery years ago. It definitely went downhill as I'm told, but we still have decent luck, but my experience is that you have to put in some effort. The days of setting up on the creek bank and catching your limits seem to be a thing of the past. Definitely some picturesque spots on the Independence. Cold crossing it in November though haha.

We are east of Stony Lake.    

2 minutes ago, SilentStalker said:

If you haven't had it, I love Millers' dry brine and put it on red meat, poultry, and pork. It never gets old to me. 

I've been going up there for 16 years and the old timers who are all gone now always said the Independence was second to none as a brook trout fishery years ago. It definitely went downhill as I'm told, but we still have decent luck, but my experience is that you have to put in some effort. The days of setting up on the creek bank and catching your limits seem to be a thing of the past. Definitely some picturesque spots on the Independence. Cold crossing it in November though haha.

We are east of Stony Lake.    

Thanks I will try the dry brine for sure.  My brother went to school with Danny Miller in lowville.  We used to stop there and get steaks for camp all the time. Nice place. 

I will be up there at least one day this season for a still hunt for the day. 

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Thanks I will try the dry brine for sure.  My brother went to school with Danny Miller in lowville.  We used to stop there and get steaks for camp all the time. Nice place. 

I will be up there at least one day this season for a still hunt for the day. 

I come from outside Albany, but the guys who come from the north stop and get steaks, jerked pork, burgers, etc. Never eat better than when at camp! 

I can't say I've had a ton of success up there in my 16 years, but we have a ton of fun and I have preferred hunting there more than other more fruitful locations.  

48 minutes ago, SilentStalker said:

I come from outside Albany, but the guys who come from the north stop and get steaks, jerked pork, burgers, etc. Never eat better than when at camp! 

I can't say I've had a ton of success up there in my 16 years, but we have a ton of fun and I have preferred hunting there more than other more fruitful locations.  

one of the best hunts i had all year was up there last season on a still hunt.  Passed a 3 point but i really enjoyed it.   I dont go often as my regular hunting spot is 6 minutes from the house in southern and has a lot more deer.  But i def enjoy it as well.  Good luck up there this season! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

When I was a kid, all the land on the right from the Sperryville rock to the bridge was my grandfathers.  After the bridge washed out, it was never the same.  Gramp sold the land and I haven't caught a brookie down there in ages.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RangerClay said:

When I was a kid, all the land on the right from the Sperryville rock to the bridge was my grandfathers.  After the bridge washed out, it was never the same.  Gramp sold the land and I haven't caught a brookie down there in ages.

I bet we both shared some of the same water at times then.  Thats awesome.  That river is so beatiful , i miss going there.  

Im sure youve been here then!  Gleasmans. 

Gleasmans5.JPG

Gleasmans4.JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RangerClay said:

I hunt near a closed bridge that if you cross it it's a dirt road and state land. The property leading to that bridge was logged a few years ago but there was a little spot of state surrounded by posted land passed a nice buck there and glad I did I didn't no how steep the bank was leading down to the river. Probably could have floated him but the temps were frigid.