Covid round two!

1 hour ago, Chef said:

How about this then who is the biggest drain on the country.

Or Rand Paul who always bitches about states taking federal funding till there was a natural disaster in his state and then he’s first in line with his hand out.

1e1385903d76ddd481c619985ae89d3d.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who = a person from Virginia 

https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/federal-aid-by-state

C071C6AC-71D2-4B6B-941A-F6552551F9D5.jpeg

1 hour ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

Nonsense. Look at the states with the highest relative number of welfare recipients. All Republican led. The old pull yourself up by your bootstraps idiom isn’t really holding up. 

Also the states with the least welfare recipients per 100k are republican so is the boot strap thing really not holding up. It’s easy to spin the narrative if you refuse to look at the whole puzzle (cherry picking). These old democratic talking points are easy to see through. 

https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/welfare-recipients-by-state

Edited by 9jNYstarkOH
  • Like 2

4 deaths per 100,000 and we still live in fear. Softest generation.

Good morning. We look at Omicron’s toll in New York and Seattle, two cities with timely data.

11ambriefing-covid-articleLarge-v2.jpg

Covid testing in Brooklyn.Anna Watts for The New York Times

A growing gap

Some of the timeliest data on Covid-19 outcomes by vaccination status comes from New York City and the Seattle area, and the two are telling a consistent story.

Cases for vaccinated and unvaccinated residents alike are rising:

11-MORNING-CASES-CHART-articleLarge-v3.png

Data is age adjusted. Recent data may be incomplete.Sources: New York City Department of Health, Washington Department of Health

They’re rising because vaccination often does not prevent infection from the Omicron variant. It reduces the chances substantially — as you can see above — but vaccinated people still face a meaningful chance of infection.

What vaccination does is radically reduce the chance of severe Covid illness. Look how different these charts on hospitalizations looks from the previous charts on cases:

11-MORNING-HOSP-CHART-articleLarge-v4.png

Data is age adjusted. Recent data may be incomplete.Sources: New York City Department of Health, Washington Department of Health

(The number of Americans hospitalized with Covid has surpassed last winter’s peak.)

Some experts believe that the hospitalization gap between the vaccinated and unvaccinated is even larger than these charts suggest. The official data on Covid hospitalizations includes many people who are hospitalized for other reasons — say, a heart condition or a bicycle crash — and who test positive for the virus while being treated.

About one-third of Covid hospitalizations fall into this category, according to a recent analysis at the University of California, San Francisco. In New York State, 43 percent of people hospitalized with Covid were admitted for other reasons.

It’s true that some of these incidental Covid hospitalizations still cause problems. The virus can harm people whose bodies are weakened by other medical conditions, and all Covid cases put added stress on hospitals, because patients must be isolated. (“Hospitals are in serious trouble,” Ed Yong writes in The Atlantic.)

Still, many incidental Covid cases in hospitals do not present much risk to the infected person. And Omicron is so contagious that it has infected many vaccinated people, likely inflating the hospitalization numbers more than previous variants have.

The death gap

The data on deaths from New York and Seattle underscores the relatively low risks for vaccinated people. These numbers show a starker gap between the vaccinated and the unvaccinated than the hospitalization data:

11-MORNING-DEATHS-CHART-articleLarge-v4.png

One caveat is death trends tend to lag case trends by about three weeks. In coming weeks, deaths among the vaccinated will almost certainly rise, given how sharply cases have risen. These deaths will likely be concentrated among people in vulnerable health, including the elderly and those with a serious underlying medical condition like a previous organ transplant — especially if they’re not boosted.

This likelihood — along with the problem of overwhelmed hospitals — is one of the strongest arguments for taking steps to reduce the size of the current Omicron wave. More vaccine mandates and indoor mask wearing can help reduce cases and, by extension, deaths, experts say.

But the early data raises the possibility that the increase in deaths among the vaccinated will remain relatively modest. The gap in the mortality charts above can’t merely be a reflection of the lag between the cases and deaths. After all, deaths among unvaccinated New Yorkers and Seattleites had already begun to surge in December. Deaths among the vaccinated had not.

(In Boston and Chicago, Covid deaths have also risen, these charts show.)

The bottom line

Vaccination remains highly effective at preventing severe Covid illnesses. And Omicron is milder than earlier versions of the virus. The combination means that most Americans — including children and vaccinated adults — face little personal risk from Omicron.

The risk is not zero, to be clear, even among people who are generally healthy. But it is very small. Every day, people live with small risks, be they from the seasonal flu and other illnesses or from riding in a vehicle, playing sports or other activities.

For the unvaccinated, the situation is very different. Omicron is still severe enough that it will lead to debilitating illness and death for many unvaccinated people. In much of the U.S., a large number of adults — including older adults — remain unvaccinated:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Chef said:

Wait how is supporting corporate rights and small government a liberal idea.

Seriously!  If a business wants to mandate that their employees be vaccinated, IMO they have every right to do that.  Employees have every right to comply or get another job.

The government Mandating that employers mandate their employees be vaccinated is a completely different story and in no way free market.

Surely as brilliant as you think you are, you can see that!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Chef said:

I think the real tragedy here is that we have so many people not willing to get the shot due to miss information.

Nope, I'm well aware of the information. I have a 98.4 % chance of surviving the virus without the shot. (probably higher now that I had covid and it wasn't a big deal) or a 99% chance of surviving covid with 2 shots and a booster. What other info do i need?

4 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

Nope, I'm well aware of the information. I have a 98.4 % chance of surviving the virus without the shot. (probably higher now that I had covid and it wasn't a big deal) or a 99% chance of surviving covid with 2 shots and a booster. What other info do i need?

Please see above: you have a 99.99996% of surviving Omicron and thats with comorbidities 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

4 deaths per 100,000 and we still live in fear. Softest generation.

Good morning. We look at Omicron’s toll in New York and Seattle, two cities with timely data.

11ambriefing-covid-articleLarge-v2.jpg

Covid testing in Brooklyn.Anna Watts for The New York Times

A growing gap

Some of the timeliest data on Covid-19 outcomes by vaccination status comes from New York City and the Seattle area, and the two are telling a consistent story.

Cases for vaccinated and unvaccinated residents alike are rising:

11-MORNING-CASES-CHART-articleLarge-v3.png

They’re rising because vaccination often does not prevent infection from the Omicron variant. It reduces the chances substantially — as you can see above — but vaccinated people still face a meaningful chance of infection.

What vaccination does is radically reduce the chance of severe Covid illness. Look how different these charts on hospitalizations looks from the previous charts on cases:

11-MORNING-HOSP-CHART-articleLarge-v4.png

(The number of Americans hospitalized with Covid has surpassed last winter’s peak.)

Some experts believe that the hospitalization gap between the vaccinated and unvaccinated is even larger than these charts suggest. The official data on Covid hospitalizations includes many people who are hospitalized for other reasons — say, a heart condition or a bicycle crash — and who test positive for the virus while being treated.

About one-third of Covid hospitalizations fall into this category, according to a recent analysis at the University of California, San Francisco. In New York State, 43 percent of people hospitalized with Covid were admitted for other reasons.

It’s true that some of these incidental Covid hospitalizations still cause problems. The virus can harm people whose bodies are weakened by other medical conditions, and all Covid cases put added stress on hospitals, because patients must be isolated. (“Hospitals are in serious trouble,” Ed Yong writes in The Atlantic.)

Still, many incidental Covid cases in hospitals do not present much risk to the infected person. And Omicron is so contagious that it has infected many vaccinated people, likely inflating the hospitalization numbers more than previous variants have.

The death gap

The data on deaths from New York and Seattle underscores the relatively low risks for vaccinated people. These numbers show a starker gap between the vaccinated and the unvaccinated than the hospitalization data:

11-MORNING-DEATHS-CHART-articleLarge-v4.png

One caveat is death trends tend to lag case trends by about three weeks. In coming weeks, deaths among the vaccinated will almost certainly rise, given how sharply cases have risen. These deaths will likely be concentrated among people in vulnerable health, including the elderly and those with a serious underlying medical condition like a previous organ transplant — especially if they’re not boosted.

This likelihood — along with the problem of overwhelmed hospitals — is one of the strongest arguments for taking steps to reduce the size of the current Omicron wave. More vaccine mandates and indoor mask wearing can help reduce cases and, by extension, deaths, experts say.

But the early data raises the possibility that the increase in deaths among the vaccinated will remain relatively modest. The gap in the mortality charts above can’t merely be a reflection of the lag between the cases and deaths. After all, deaths among unvaccinated New Yorkers and Seattleites had already begun to surge in December. Deaths among the vaccinated had not.

(In Boston and Chicago, Covid deaths have also risen, these charts show.)

The bottom line

Vaccination remains highly effective at preventing severe Covid illnesses. And Omicron is milder than earlier versions of the virus. The combination means that most Americans — including children and vaccinated adults — face little personal risk from Omicron.

The risk is not zero, to be clear, even among people who are generally healthy. But it is very small. Every day, people live with small risks, be they from the seasonal flu and other illnesses or from riding in a vehicle, playing sports or other activities.

For the unvaccinated, the situation is very different. Omicron is still severe enough that it will lead to debilitating illness and death for many unvaccinated people. In much of the U.S., a large number of adults — including older adults — remain unvaccinated:

None of this takes into account the fact that most of the people that are unvaccinated are the people that decided they aren't going to live in fear of a virus and have gone about their daily lives (as much as aloud) since this all started like i have and there are others still living in fear and driving in a car by themselves with a mask on that i would be willing to bet are vaxed and boosted...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

None of this takes into account the fact that most of the people that are unvaccinated are the people that decided they aren't going to live in fear of a virus and have gone about their daily lives (as much as aloud) since this all started like i have and there are others still living in fear and driving in a car by themselves with a mask on that i would be willing to bet are vaxed and boosted...

People on this own forum have posted pictures of themselves wearing a mask outdoors.  Im not sure which is worse.  Wearing a mask outside or wearing one alone in your car lol.    

• Like 1

The bottom line is, we need to get back to normal life. If the vaccine and boosters are the best choice for you, go and get them. If wearing a mask makes you feel more comfortable, then by all means, wear one. 

But these mandates are ridiculous and i have been over them since the two weeks to stop the spread almost 2 years ago...

Let people work, let people travel, let people go shopping etc....

And lets get to the bottom of the story with what happened with this virus so we can make sure it never happens again. Funny how we don't hear a word about that anymore....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just now, ApexerER said:

The bottom line is, we need to get back to normal life. If the vaccine and boosters are the best choice for you, go and get them. If wearing a mask makes you feel more comfortable, then by all means, wear one. 

But these mandates are ridiculous and i have been over them since the two weeks to stop the spread almost 2 years ago...

And lets get to the bottom of the story with what happened with this virus so we can make sure it never happens again. Funny how we don't hear a word about that anymore....

Hard to move on when we have sheeple wearing masks outdoors….

Now that everyone has had ample access to the vaccine it would be nice to move on with life as simply as you stated.   Whatever your level of comfortability might be, thats on you.  Whatever risks you feel like you are comfortable taking or not taking in your daily life is fine.  That’s my pipe dream. 

Just now, diplomat019 said:

Hard to move on when we have sheeple wearing masks outdoors….

Now that everyone has had ample access to the vaccine it would be nice to move on with life as simply as you stated.   Whatever your level of comfortability might be, thats on you.  Whatever risks you feel like you are comfortable taking or not taking in your daily life is fine.  That’s my pipe dream. 

That pipe dream is reality in a lot of States....just not here...

10 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

Perfectly stated. Could not agree more.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

That pipe dream is reality in a lot of States....just not here...

That is true. I spend a good amount of time in Florida. And I really enjoy what’s going on down there. There are tons of people wearing masks. Tons of people not wearing masks. And everybody’s moving on with their lives happy. Nobody seems to be judging each other as far as I can tell

• Like 4

It’s not binary like this. There are also long term effects of Covid that any reasonable person would want to avoid.  But fine, if you want to make it about comorbidities, 40% of American is obese. Do you not know a single overweight person you care about? Someone old or recovering from cancer? 

Why should I care more about them than they do? Obviously they don’t care about themselves if they’ve let themselves become obese.

As the science has shown from the beginning if you’re fat, old, or have other aliments you’re an idiot if you don’t have the shot.

1 hour ago, diplomat019 said:

That is true. I spend a good amount of time in Florida. And I really enjoy what’s going on down there. There are tons of people wearing masks. Tons of people not wearing masks. And everybody’s moving on with their lives happy. Nobody seems to be judging each other as far as I can tell

I’ve been in Florida for a month now you’re right, people aren’t judging other people. No Karen’s screaming at people to put their mask on.  Life is good.

• Like 3

Why should I care more about them than they do? Obviously they don’t care about themselves if they’ve let themselves become obese.

As the science has shown from the beginning if you’re fat, old, or have other aliments you’re an idiot if you don’t have the shot.

You realize not everyone let’s themselves become obese there are plenty of conditions that lead to obesity

Does it get old stepping over all the dead bodies piled up in the streets?
-CNN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro