DRAW WEIGHTS ?

BIGHUNTER2700537

if your only hunting deer why would you need 80# once the arrow goes though how much more weight do you need. also can you draw straight back after sitting in the cold allday without pointing the arrow at the sky while darwing. I shoot 65# witch is more then I need I have never not have a pass though. ::)

I'm set at 55#. Everything is all tuned up and flying like darts. Even though I feel like I could shoot a lot more, I ain't touching anything.

In the past I have shot up to 80 pounds. I did that the years that we went on our moose hunts. I was heavy into field archery tournament, regularly shooting 112 arrows plus a bunch on the practice range and then shooting a Wednesday night league and a whole bunch of at home practice, all with that 80# draw weight. That was only a 35% let-off then too.

HOWEVER

That was also the year that I deer hunted in a howling wind on a super cold day (teens or less) and had to try 3 times to get my bow back when a deer came in. All that flailing around trying to pull that thing back finally caught the deer's attention and away it went before I could shoot. Muscles don't like all that hunched up tension against the cold.

Also even though I have been pretty lucky, I do know quite a few guys that had some severe shoulder problems from pulling heavy weight bows for too long. They do take a toll. I have had some elbow difficulties myself but that was more from too much shooting than having the weight up too high. I already had lowered the bow down to 65 pounds when that occurred, but I was spending an awful lot of time shooting. All of a sudden, I noticed that my elbow swelled up with a huge soft lump about the size of a golf ball. I had to go into the doctor and have some fluid drawn off and then rested that arm for about a month before cautiously starting to use it again. That was scary. So I guess the message is to shoot the heavier poundages with extreme caution and an understanding that it could be trouble. The human body does have some limitations.

Doc

64lbs for me on my Mathews,never not had a pass through.

What type of bow is it that you have it at 80lbs?

64# should produce pass-throughs when placement is correct, all major bones are avoided, and arrows and bow are tuned to ensure that the arrow is flying and striking straight. Almost any sharp broadhead should do the trick. All proper hits and penetration still are subject to some elements of luck.

My 80 pound draw bow was a mid-80s vintage Proline.

Doc

The real archery experts need to weight in on this one, but assuming test above eliminates all but arm, shoulder & back muscles.

My therory is that if your opposite hand/arm is extended and on the grip, if you can pull string/release straight back - your good!

If you have to do the windmill draw, then you are dialed too high. Also setting yourself up for extra movements at inappropriate times.

May not be the official method, but it works for me.