Garden 2022

crappyice

Potato towers. 1 for potatoes and 1 for sweet potatoes. 1st time trying this method

Very cool (except for chef being right!)
I may try one of those for some fingerling potatoes. Currently I have a Japanese maple tree that I took from my childhood home that my father nurture from seedlings that needs to be removed…may be a good spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Very cool (except for chef being right!)
I may try one of those for some fingerling potatoes. Currently I have a Japanese maple tree that I took from my childhood home that my father nurture from seedlings that needs to be removed…may be a good spot.

When are you gunna learn I’m always right

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

Well got my 70 something by 30 something ft garden tilled this morning. She's wet hopefully the weather this week will dry it up.

aren't you selling the house?

4bdbe195f4d4ce19fd6bc51d8bd91081.jpg
52eab8ae8d02b02969ce4b9424bc909e.jpg
31f125eac04f9c922f5aeba729125a13.jpg
Garden boxes built and paper laid. Just have to pick a day to drop soil in and tighten things up and attach fence

EDIT > forgot to add that these boxes are 4x4, so I got 64sqft. A lot smaller than my prior years on purpose. Should be a lot neater once I do the legwork of getting all the soil up and down the hill into this tight spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by BizCT
  • Like 6

My little garden is in. Long range temps look to be cooler but not frosty so going for it. Plus the lake helps to regulate the temps a lot. Got buckets to cover though in case.

Making the most of a day off. 3 tomato plants, 2 cherry tomatoes, 3 hills of zucchini, 5 sweet heat peppers, and already planted earlier green onions and swiss chard. 76f64312a5b000f5e428c37f58d10043.jpg13e5b085ba841b23a1c19fdc14d80e38.jpg

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

f89cb5df6a2643e285774ec2455394db.jpg

• Like 2

I just put in 3 hills of zucchini and 2 of summer squash on the south end of our house.  I never have much luck with vegetables, unless I plant them close to the house where I can water them easily.  

This spot was always too shaded from the old barn.  That barn is no longer there, blocking out the sun, so hopefully the squash will do well this season.  I used leftover seed from last year, so it will be interesting to see if it germinates.  Other than 1/2 acre of sweetcorn out back, that will be the extent of my gardening this year.

I am not hunting them this morning, but I did hear a gobbler back there at 6:00 am while I was planting.  

4bdbe195f4d4ce19fd6bc51d8bd91081.jpg
52eab8ae8d02b02969ce4b9424bc909e.jpg
31f125eac04f9c922f5aeba729125a13.jpg
Garden boxes built and paper laid. Just have to pick a day to drop soil in and tighten things up and attach fence
EDIT > forgot to add that these boxes are 4x4, so I got 64sqft. A lot smaller than my prior years on purpose. Should be a lot neater once I do the legwork of getting all the soil up and down the hill into this tight spot.

Biz, a pathway between the boxes would help you maintain the plants easier. You would never have to walk on the growing soil. A foot would be plenty, just enough to walk or stand in. Just a suggestion.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Biz, a pathway between the boxes would help you maintain the plants easier. You would never have to walk on the growing soil. A foot would be plenty, just enough to walk or stand in. Just a suggestion.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Thanks. They are only 4X4 so only 8 feet wide. @The_Real_TCIII will get mad if I leave that gap because he’s worried about weeds

• Like 1

What if you made it just wide enough for a push mower.

Not enough room and the green fence I use I open a tiny crack to get in and out. My biggest concern is bears walking right through it

Finally the fence is enclosed! Still another day of work but deer shouldn't be able to enter now. About 40 peppers, eggplant and okra in the ground, another 40 to go. 

Spinich is coming in great right in front of the garlic. Carrots the same, I'm still not having any luck with parsnips. Celery, brussel sprouts and tomatoes will go in tomorrow. 

All potato plants are blooming and look good. 

20220518_182627.jpg

• Like 5

PH and Moisture both perfect. Fence is up. And I'll plant later today. Got basil, yellow zucchini, green zucchini, sweet 100 cherry tomatoes, and yellow boy tomatoes.

db4bccfd62bbacaa1cbcb03b1dac1efd.jpg
d46088040240357a7a67c46da15c8003.jpg

• Like 1

Wish I could plant my garden.  Always first full week in June. Here in Northern Chemung county   2 years ago I lost half my garden  to frost second week in June.  To plant early is just flirting with disaster here. Nothing worse than scrambling to find plants after memorial day .

• Like 2

Wish I could plant my garden.  Always first full week in June. Here in Northern Chemung county   2 years ago I lost half my garden  to frost second week in June.  To plant early is just flirting with disaster here. Nothing worse than scrambling to find plants after memorial day .

I hear ya. That’s why I wait for end of May (not early).

everything of mine has been in for a while now. Lost a few bean plants for no reason that I can understand as we haven't had any frost and 4 of them are thriving. Also a few cukes and a squash so I started a few more and then mixed up the tags in addition to some zucchini so i played Russian roulette with some of my beds haha.