What are you doing to prep for the 2012 Hunting Season?

burmjohn

What are you doing to prep for the 2012 Hunting Season  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Prep

• Scouting
    • TrailCamera's
    • New Tree Stands / Binds
    • Food Plots
    • Bow / Gun Setup

Nothing much.......put up another trail cam....reloaded a bunch of 16 Gauge shells..will start to shoot my bow to get back in shape...major surgery in March did not help. At 62 it takes more time then when I was 32!

Clearing trails and cut some shooting lanes. Trail cams are up and I check the cards regularly. Cutting wood for camp, and for the neighbor so we have his land. I planted one plot of imperial white clover. It grew like crazy and now is burning off. No way to water it as even my creek is dry. Walking alot and counting the days. I shoot the guns and bow year round, so they are ready as usual.

Been moving the cam around 2 different propertys since I got it in January, Got the doe movement nailed down pretty tight. :) Now if I could just find them pesky bucks I would be getting somewhere.Like to shoot my bow everyday, though I only get to about twice a week, that will pick up with cooler weather. Been draggin my new climber around the woods goin up and down trees clearing out future stand sights with info from last yr incase they get stupid and do it agian this yr. Still have to get out and hang my hang on stands ( note to self buy more screw in steps ) will probably be doing that in the next few weeks. Next up in August will be planting my kill plots rain permitting. Need to restock with muzzleloader supplies and start shooting along with the 30/06. How many months left? Not enough!!

Edited by erussell

Took a few weeks off from shooting my bow, due to shoulder stress and excessive house work... Went to a 3D shoot at Suffolk archers Sunday and shot a 272, good score... Still able to hit the targets effectivly out to 65 yards. I do my scouting while bow hunting... I will start to shoot the guns next week or two to avoid the LI shooting crowds when southern zone opens up... No tree stands, blinds, food plots, or trial cam's to set up, but I might bring my climber for a choke point I like and I am thinking about setting up some cam's for bow season that can be checked when I come back for rifle... 10 weeks 3 days and counting untile opening of bow!!! OMG I am a addict!!! Wonder if they have a deer hunting pill, am I the only one who has lost a full night of sleep the day before going up hunting? I just submitted my vacation, 1 week for bow and two for rifle, all in the ADK this year. Sep 27th- Oct 3, Nov 5-13, Nov 23-Dec 2nd, hope work appoves it all... Nov 5-9 and sep 27-30 are set in stone...

I'm aiming to shoot a buck early based off bed use. The Oct. 1 opener is a game changer. Some people think that time is worthless and only the rut is worthwhile, but they're overlooking some serious vulnerability.

Setting out cams now for a little show n tell. Also shooting lightly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Now that the nights are cooling down and we got some good rain, I think I'll camp out in my shooting shack Sunday night. Drive around glass the fields hang some cams. smoke a cigar,drink some Bushmill . Not worried about the camp fire burning the field now....

May even dust off my bow, but my shoulder is still healing some from heavy standing presses, that may have been to heavy.

• 3 weeks later...

Got my tags, going over new regulations, and refreshing myself on the old.

Plan on visiting the number one hang on stand tomorrow to check to see if needs any maintenance after the meek winter.

This week I am washing all my gear in HSS laundry soap and getting the last of my archery gear organized. Keep shooting the bow for 29 more days!

I use early archery (this year earlier, YES!) to scout my rutt stands and I will take my climbers out on those combo hunting/scouting missions.

Edited by 7J Everyday

Been out to the two parcels I hunt and did a little scouting. Will set up the blind this week so the deer get used to it on one parcel, no need for camera's as I usally shoot what ever walks by as long as it isn't a fawn. The landowner just wants as many deer taken as possible. Have to cut up two fallen tree's in the middle of the trail though.

The other property has camera's setup, need to swap cards and as soon as I get official permission need to setup blinds so the deer get used to them.

Been practicing with the new Hoyt Carbon bow with HHA sights and it is dead on at twenty and fourty yards, thirty is about three inches high.

Just need a quick good frost to kill the chiggers and some ticks !!!!

• 3 weeks later...

new stand locations for LI and upstate this year. The 270 is sighted in for over 200 yards now. I have new arrows for my MR5 this year and def getting a safety harness! Some changes going into this season but i think they are great changes and im very excited to get out in the woods come this season. VERY pumped to climb into this new set i picked out this summer :)