Pick THE weekend

crappyice

Every year I get a "prison release" for 1, three day weekend of my choosing. With Halloween offering the full moon, I am leaning towards the first weekend of November to hit the seeking phase. I hunt near Rhinebeck. Any thoughts? I never know how to factor the unpredictable weather into my consideration. Warm fall? Early winter?

I would without a doubt go for the weekend in Nov.. That was the easy part. As for the 2-3-4 or 9-10-11 well thats a toss up.. My years of serious rut hunting have told me that the 4th through about the 9th are the absolute best times to see intense chasing and the best times to see mature bucks. If i were in your situation, I would choose the first weekend. You may be a tad early for the best chasing but you will be solidly in the seeking/chasing and should see plenty of activity if you hunt sun up to sun down... No excuses- hunt all day period.

Edited by dave6x6
  • Like 1

I was leaning towards 2-3-4 but the warm weather is making me think the best will be a bit later. But of course, if I'm too late the dreaded LULL will be in the woods with me. Thanks for the input

Lull is a myth and even that is associated with early/mid October and not November. You might be thinking of "lockdown" and really, people worry more about that than they should. Breeding occurs in a short time frame and bucks don't spend as much time as people think with a particular doe. If you think you are in lockdown, and you are hunting funnels with no action...then move to the beds. Chances are that funnels will still produce bucks in between does.

I'd be looking at November. All day sits if one three day weekend is all you have.

Edited by phade

The way this years going, with everything a month ahead or better. I'd say flipping a coin will give you as good a choice. It might be snowing on Holloween To me, with the way this years going, all bets are off. I'd hate to be in your position with the choice, u have to make, but for what it's worth, good luck.

You need to do what's best for you!!!

But if it were me, I'd be looking for a more lenient warden. LOL

Breeding occurs in a short time frame and bucks don't spend as much time as people think with a particular doe.

If I recall correctly, a doe is in estrous (willing to breed) only 36 hours.

To keep this family oriented, I'll just say that not all bucks are the same.

Some will hang around the doe, while others are like teenagers & looking for the next opportunity.

You need to do what's best for you!!!

But if it were me, I'd be looking for a more lenient warden. LOL

Breeding occurs in a short time frame and bucks don't spend as much time as people think with a particular doe.

If I recall correctly, a doe is in estrous (willing to breed) only 36 hours.

To keep this family oriented, I'll just say that not all bucks are the same.

Some will hang around the doe, while others are like teenagers & looking for the next opportunity.

Basic math is all it takes. Studies show many twins and triplet fawns have two or three fathers. If the ratio say is one buck for three or three and a half does and most does (80% of breeding population) cycle within a short time frame (say a week...majority are probably within a span of 4-5 days), then they cannot mathmatically stay with one doe for 36 hours or more. I think D&DH had a study a few years ago that really re-painted the picture, saying up to 10 hours is "normal" max time a buck will hang with a doe and oftentimes it is much less. He'll usually rag it as best he can as often as he can for a few hours and then on toward the next lucky gal.

I agree about the warden. Might be time for an escape.

Edited by phade

It's not a scientific answer, but each of the past two seasons, i was bowhunting the weekend before the opener of the gun season and saw the biggest bucks i've ever seen on my property. Both times, the buck was with does and grunting. Could definitely have been the same buck- hope he's there again this year. I'd pick the november weekend.