How hard you going to hit early October mornings SZ?

phade

Title says it all.

Seems like quite a few of the people I know who hunt midwest where seasons start a bit earlier often don't hunt as much in the a.m. Some will sit when the moon is right, or a weather pattern calls for it. But most say that you have to be careful hunting mornings because many bucks are bedded by the time shooting light rolls around.

Afternoons seems to be where its at for many of these same people.

If deer stay on the same pattern in my area i will be hunting mornings. All of my best trailcam pics are in the mornings anywhere from 6-11:00am. I know things will change by the opener but my stand is in an area loaded with white oaks that seem to be dropping real good. The deer come in there to bed and seem to be up and moving around in there all morning snacking on acorns. Man i cant wait for Oct 1st!!

John

This is a great topic for a thread. I'm looking forward to all the responses. The past couple of years, I've found the early part of bow season to be pretty slow and had convinced myself that I'd wait until late October-early November to really start spending more time in the woods. Of course, the opener has been moved up and I'm debating whether or not to take advantage of the two additional weeks. I'll probably decide my plans based on what I see on my cameras. If there's a fair bit of activity during daylight hours, I'll head upstate opening week. If not, I'll try to resist the urge and wait a few weeks. Either way, if I'm at camp, I'll hunt morning and evening.

This is a great topic for a thread. I'm looking forward to all the responses. The past couple of years, I've found the early part of bow season to be pretty slow and had convinced myself that I'd wait until late October-early November to really start spending more time in the woods. Of course, the opener has been moved up and I'm debating whether or not to take advantage of the two additional weeks. I'll probably decide my plans based on what I see on my cameras. If there's a fair bit of activity during daylight hours, I'll head upstate opening week. If not, I'll try to resist the urge and wait a few weeks. Either way, if I'm at camp, I'll hunt morning and evening.

I became a sponge when it came to the chance that the early October opener was going to happen.

All of my midwest connections have told me they feel their best odds on a specific mature buck occur during the very first part of the season and 9 of 10 times it is the afternoon (late season is also a godo time, but moot here). They purposely stay out of the woods in the a.m. because it usually does more damage the good. On the rare occassions they hunt mornings, the moon and or weather slows the bucks down from returning to their beds giving a chance for them to be shot in shooting light.

The other big thing, which makes total sense, is that they ATTACK the buck as close to its bed as possible in the evening. They don't really lay off and hunt fringes unless they are in an observation stand to gain additional information...hunting fringes just lowers your odds of connecting while still alerting the buck to the fact humans have intruded. I figured most would lay off beds that early and maybe focus on food, but I've come to realize most mature bucks don't go far from their beds until darkness. First time in hits home here.

Sure you may see daytime visits now in velvet, but that's going to change come hunting season.

Edited by phade

Mark me as spot on. Been waiting years for a October 1st opener. Finally happening. God willing, I'll be in stand mornings, evenings, or whenever I can 11 weeks of deer season, bring it on! Have to fit turkey season in there somehow, lol. Just keeps getting better.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

the time here says it all. deer can't tell time.when there needs say get up and move they do!

Big difference between an August buck in velvet and a hard antler buck in October. I do agree with needs, though.

Not saying it is impossible at all, but I certainly wouldn't base my hunting on an August daytime photo...and this coming from a person who has 95% daytime photos this season of mature bucks.

post-575-0-03707000-1345565840_thumb.jpg

Edited by phade

I'll be out way before light until at least 1pm...home for chores and back out before 3pm....I will be testing the waters on all stand sets.but the weekend of the youth hunt I will be in two specific areas...well me and two others...I have just 2 red oaks..out of 200 dropping acorns right now...and seriously these beech are crazy this year..how many weeks ago did I mention them dropping?...well they are still going strong....All this corn around me I have yet to see a single buck...still not worried,,,at least 3 of the fields south of me will be cut early.This corn is going for silage...so there will be little if any thing left in the fields to eat...then they will get hit with a generous dose of liquid manure....With this much corn taking out their usual hay field grub..... seeking food will be a priority...the field right next door is very late...just getting ears now...but I have a great food plot and the koi pond for water with the woods full of beech trees...they should be moving through the area regularly ...the only other thing I need to factor in on how hard I'll hunt is first week....... sightings and whether the two neighbors bordering me log during bow season will dictate that

I have never been a big fan of the first week or so of bow and with now the earlier opener I am going to have to change some tactics.

I will try to stay out of my prime spot behind the house for the first couple weeks. I do not have any farm crop summer food pattern spots so I may be testing out some new spots early season just to keep pressure off my usual spots.

I will also play the weather, I can not stand being out hunting when it is 80 degrees out!

Should be interesting, have no great expectations.

My property borders several apple orchards, so that may be a positive before all the farm workers get in there picking.

From my experience, Oct is when the buck are establishing ther kingdoms & are making rubs & scrapes.

Not too sure when they will be moving around, but I'm personally going to hunt early mornings and late PM.

All depends on what I see on trail cam activity (times) towards middle to end of Sept.

Would hate to get burnt-out with a lot of hours in the stand before the rut actually begins.

Here's the dilemna - What do you do if you fill your buck tag & still have ~7weeks left in bow season & the peak of the rut????

the point i was trying to make is,don't hunt when others tell you thats the best or only time. get in do your scouting and be ready. i personally seem to have more sightings in mornings then evenings. many others say nights. go with what your deer are telling you.

Should be interesting, have no great expectations.

My property borders several apple orchards, so that may be a positive before all the farm workers get in there picking.

From my experience, Oct is when the buck are establishing ther kingdoms & are making rubs & scrapes.

Not too sure when they will be moving around, but I'm personally going to hunt early mornings and late PM.

All depends on what I see on trail cam activity (times) towards middle to end of Sept.

Would hate to get burnt-out with a lot of hours in the stand before the rut actually begins.

Here's the dilemna - What do you do if you fill your buck tag & still have ~7weeks left in bow season & the peak of the rut????

Ohio.

As an aside, I have some hunting ground surrounded by apples and taters...

Last season, I went in for an afternoon sit...all was quiet for about 30 minutes and out of nowhere blasts cha cha cha hispanic music over a loud speaker for the rest of the night while the hands worked. I didn't see a deer, but it was pretty darn entertaining, they were dancing and farming all at the same time.

Edited by phade

the point i was trying to make is,don't hunt when others tell you thats the best or only time. get in do your scouting and be ready. i personally seem to have more sightings in mornings then evenings. many others say nights. go with what your deer are telling you.

Understandable.

I have never been a big fan of the first week or so of bow and with now the earlier opener I am going to have to change some tactics.

I will try to stay out of my prime spot behind the house for the first couple weeks. I do not have any farm crop summer food pattern spots so I may be testing out some new spots early season just to keep pressure off my usual spots.

I will also play the weather, I can not stand being out hunting when it is 80 degrees out!

What is a "prime" spot?

Is it just a rut phases stand?

I have prime stands for early season that really are only good for a few days and then peter out. Others I stay out of until the chasing begins, because the bucks simply are moving across this particular spot until they look between doe beds.

If by prime, you mean close to a buck's core area...you may want to investigate and see what possibilities exist for an early season set.

Well I have a week in the ADK to start off with. Sep 27th to Oct 2nd. I will be in the woods most of the day for six days. 3 day back pack in to do some scouting/hunting back a mile or two. At that point I will be hunting Dark to dusk... Plenty of time to NOT hunt when I am at home but when I am in near or by the woods, I want to be in them, could care less if they are moving or not I will be chasing!!! Or at least trying to find some good doe to patern for rifle season... Hopefully I can find some large tracks to chase... As long as I am in the woods, I am having fun!!!

• Like 1

Last season, I went in for an afternoon sit...all was quiet for about 30 minutes and out of nowhere blasts cha cha cha hispanic music over a loud speaker for the rest of the night while the hands worked. I didn't see a deer, but it was pretty darn entertaining, they were dancing and farming all at the same time.

Oh yeah, when that starts the hunt is over if you're near an orchard!

Deer seem to hit the orchards at night when that picking ruckus begins and usually out by 1st light.

I'm lucky I have a job that gives me lots of hunting time without taking time off, but I take 2 weeks in bow and one in gun most years so i can hunt 3/4 of the days .

The rut it where its at for me but I'll be out early for sure because I'm a hunter its what i do in the fall. I like mornings, ya the afternoon is good maybe better but I don't see them till its almost dark, and I hate looking fo,r dressing ,dragging in the dark or worse coming back the next day .

Really hunt the AM come home go to the gym, work in the yard have supper with the Mrs. .Plenty of time to wash clothes get ready for the next day .Don't like getting home at 8;00 at night.But thats just me .

Good luck.

I will be hunting hard, I don't have enough time to be picky.

Curious as to what it means by hunting hard in your terms?

Interestingly, when I hear people say that, I think overhunting. But when I think it for myself, I don't, odd how that happens. Defintely have to take a step back and look at things from time to time to make sure you are on the right track for success (whatever your goal is).

Edited by phade

If i lived even 30 minutes from the areas I hunt I'd maybe consider an afternoon or morning here and there. But living in the city, with weekends mostly only, its dawn to dusk, hunting hard (hiking in deep, waiting them out, not coming out of the woods till its dark) until I get something. I do not even go up unless I have the full day. Cost for gas and tolls is too high to visit just one or half a day.

Edited by PostedBoys Gallego