Corn Fields

Kot2B

Just out of curiosity, when do the farmers tend to cut corn by you? I hunt a little south of Albany and they are already cutting this year. Also, anyone ever have concerns of E. Coli when the farmers spread liquid manure after they cut?

Edited by Kot2B

Corn cutting is way ahead this year from what I have seen . I have talked to a few farmers that have had very crappy ear production so they are chopping alot and not picking much. Hold on to you hats to see what corn, grain and beef prices do.

Oh and ecoli...I think you are fine as long as you don't put on a stalk with your tounge dragging...lol. I wouldn't drag a deer through it.

• Like 1

We have a new field next to us....it drains right to our well(here when we moved)...so yep lots of concerns ...we addressed it this spring with the farmer and every state agency we could think of...spent a couple of hundred on pre-empted water tests......so it's a wait and see...We were told nothing can really be done until the well is contaminated then sue...at which point all contacts we made will come in to confirm our previous concerns...The DEC and water authorities hands are tied....There is NO protection in NYS for private water sources...only public

I thought at one point the farmers were required to turn the manure within 2 days? The stench alone can chase you from a tree stand for a week or two. Keep me posted Growalot on the outcome of your water tests. I have been trying to fight it for years over concerns. Every time they spread everyone gets some type of cold/ sick.

No that is actually just a SUGGESTION...the only thing they have to do is have a ...hhmm can't think of professional term...but "manager" that goes out and sums up lay of land and give #'s as to the amount of liquid manure the land can "handle"...and legally stay 100ft away from existing wells...which same manager is suppose to locate on neighboring properties...now I'm here every day and our well is not listed on any maps or surveys...I have yet to see such a manager come in to check this property out..we will see...The well is exactly 50 ft from the edge of corn....

I'm think we may not have to worry for we did talk to the farmer...and every agency that he has to account to...and as one person said...he's already had to deal with a NYS fish kill from his manure...probably doesn't want to deal with having to pay for a new well...

Wow...that cornfield is close to your well. I'd be worried, too.

What did you learn regarding the relative danger from liquid manure compared to raw manure. Doe the "pre-digesting" of the manure in the shit pits do anything to remove harmful bacteria? The fish kill could have come from oxygen leeching...not bacteria, right?

Dang....keep an eye on your water.....Good luck!

• Like 1

Not sure exactly what the cause of death was other than a valve was either left open or malfunctioned...and the trout stream was down hill from the flow....

Ya there had been another well on the property...we found...thank God...during the day...when all of a sudden right where we walk into garage and to go feed the dogs a very deep perfectly round 11/2ft diameter hole opened up....Not sure why they moved the well other than they decided to put in a septic system after the fact....this was originally a hunting /vacation camp...They placed the new well right on the edge off a run off gully that starts on the edge of this property...drains the entire upper half of the hill..Never a problem before ..It's always been a hay field for horse hay...but now he's since stopped raising horses and leases...been trying to buy at least part of the land for years knowing this could happen..Oh well...he won't sell.to any one...

One spring we woke to our culvert pipe for the drive way...not the road one...being a few hundred ft down the hill...and us being unable to leave in a vehicle...now there is a very large pipe there...lol I feel bad for the camp and other home owner below us....talk about flooding...and you know what they say...sheet flows down hill...hahaha

If you look at the streams they literally have a white/brown foam that must be bacteria. If you ever go to a sewer plant you will see that they aerate their sh*t water in order to get it to break down and it looks exactly the same, so I am sure it doesn't take long to kill the fish in these creeks/ streams from bacteria.

I hunt a 2,500 acre or so farm. I have a small chunk of it to myself,hard woods,brush,thick field with crops all around it.This year corn,beans and clover.

Farm across road is cutting corn. called my wifes cousin and he said they were a few weeks away from cutting corn by me !! Nice come over here and eat the corn,pay no attention to the man in the tree...

• Like 4

• 11 months later...

Doe, that's why I freshened last years post to kinda keep track of the corn cutting. The fields that were starting to brown are cut, some are still green. It's supposed to pour this weekend so I doubt it will get cut before then. That's good and bad news I think. Good because my stand is on the trail to the field so hopefully they'll continue using it but bad if they decide to spread manure and ruin everything.