State Land vs Own Property vs Lease

JimR

So as a state land hunter I'm allways dreaming about having my own land and camp, until I read about trespassers, neighbor fueds , taxs, maintienance etc... I have no expierience with leasing so I really don't know any of the ups and downs of that approach. So you folks tell me, or each other , whats the best way, own, lease, or state.

• Like 1

Jim, nice thread idea as I have always wondered that also. Since I dont have my own land to hunt I've dreamed of having my own acearge and cabin to get away from the city, to hunt and enjoy. Actually been looking for a couple of years but haven't pulled the trigger. Cant seem to find what I want.

I think owning is still the best way becasue you have total control. That said I couldn't afford property and you never really know how good the hunting is until you are in there...so my Father and I lease. You are basically paying their taxes or a portion of them. I went the route of leasing from a timber company because they really haev no desire to do anything on the land other than manage it for timber. A farmer could still be using it while you lease it. Must know all the details of the lease.

The company we lease from if on this site (Cotton-Hanlon). THey have opportunities for leasers to build a small cabin on the properties after a few years. you post it and use it all year. They have been great to lease from and Bob O'Brien has been wonderful to deal with. There are rules but in a Readre's Digest version .....don't break any laws, don't mess with their trees and don't fued with the neighbors. The lease terms are3 year periods for us. (And while ours has gone up in price every lease period) It is fairly reasonable. We lease 110 acres and I think it is around $2,400 this lease period coming up in January.

Google them I know they have southern teir property but I don't know how far west they go.

Good luck

Well that makes three of us.

Hunting stateland has it own challenges;ie people taking small deer, deer being highly pressured,finally have a pattern and another hunter sets up in their bedding area, rude and abnoxious hunters, thats just to name a few.

I too dream of having my own piece of heaven,but don't know if it will materialize with the

economy the way it is. Hope this thread inspires some good feed back.

• Like 1

owning is the way to go IMO...Its yours, you do what you when you want so long as its not illegal lol. but at the end of the day you own it. i bought property in February and its so much fun going up there to my own place. i mean yeah trespassing and the chance of someone stealing is a possibility but there is dirt bags everywhere you go...

i was actually thinking of selling my piece because i want bigger but its such a great piece of timber, loaded with apple trees, deer sign everywhere, alot of rubs and its just beautiful walking around on it. i love going to it.

What I have done is to move onto my own property so that I live where I hunt. That makes it tougher on trespassers when they know the land is occupied. Of course, there are pluses and minuses to hunting where you live. Sometimes it does take away from the specialness of getting away to hunting camp. One benefit of living where you hunt is the rural atmosphere, and the ease of getting on stand or scouting when personal time is limited.

Yes you do have trespassers as a hassle, but on public land, you have all kinds of legitimate hunting interference as well which still provides the same problems as trespass does. Also, public land tends to be unmanaged and over hunted and occasionally, "shot-out".

Yes there are taxes with property ownership, but some of these lease fees are starting to out-pace property taxes. The other thing about leases is that it can all be pulled out from under you if the property gets sold. And yet another thing about leases is that you are not necessarily free from trespassers.

There is no "perfect" solution that has absolutely no drawbacks, but years ago, I decided that I wanted to live in the middle of my hunting grounds, and also raise my kids in a much healthier atmosphere of the countryside. So the decision was quite easy for me. however, that does assume that you have the resources to do that because it is not the cheaper option. Also, assuming you are not retired, you have to be able to put up with commuting to work.

If you got free access to hunt deer and can shoot deer in NY, thendon't buy anything in NY. Spend your $ and buy in NJ or CT or PA. Then you can extend your season and shoot more bucks per year.

Or spend the $ on hunting trips instead. I thought about buying cheap land in upstate NY, but then I realized I'd only be using it for hunting anyway. Even $30K will you get at least 5-6 awesome hunting trips outside of NY.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

If you're going to use the property to live on, or for family recreation year round, then owning the land may be worth it. To buy it solely to hunt on surely is not. For the money you will pay on taxes for any reasonable size hunting land, you can go on a nice outfitted hunt where chances of getting a nice deer are probably better. And if you include the original purchase price, then you can go on nice hunts for years into the future!

Leases are good, but they of course can come to an end, or costs can go up. Nothing is a complete safe bet.

• Like 1

I own only because it was passed down Father to Son and I hope someday to pass it to my son and him eventually to his son . Yup I still get trespassers even though its posted (in ENGLISH) and they still cant read it . The property backs up to a non-working farm and I have a good relationship with them . If I had to buy it I probably couldnt afford it these days . State Land is not too far away (Windham) and I do go there for a change of pace . Owning allows me to put up a couple of Built-in-Treestands and permanent ground blinds . I'm very lucky and thankful for what I have !

I will only buy NY land I plan to live on. Control is huge here with all of the hunter numbers.

I'd consider buying out of state in certain places of Ohio, and then also maybe further midwest. But, then you run into the whole "getting enough value" out of it. Ideally, I'd buy acreages in Ohio as a camp and then some acreage to live on here.

I have my own place, have great neighbors and the taxes are not that bad. Nothing like owning your own place. Leasing is also good. Just like Culvercreek said Cotton Hanlon is great to work with. I am on a list for a certain property they have. I will lease it when it comes available.

I have the privilege of hunting the land that everyone else pays for. I always have a lot of buddies that hunt with me. We typically manage our property with the brown is down theme. :).

Wish I could have my own place or lease but in the meantime state land is the only chance I have to get out.

Edited by pewlodar

Owning land has to be great I haven't had the luck of owning YET but im young with high hopes and working hard everyday to fill them. I have taken all my deer from state land. Even my profile pic is on state land may not be the biggest deer but he's nice. My best tip for anyone is dont be a follower be a leader.

If I see cars i'll keep driving if I see people i'll keep walking. Most of the people I have ever seen on state land stay very close to their car or truck and sort of just set up anywere. Not sure thats a good idea unless your dead lucky but.. I rather walk deep in the woods to find my funnels or food source's and set up off them.

Good luck.

I own and live on my property, the same land I hunt. It took lots of work and saving to get here but t's what i always wanted. Like everything else in life there are good and bad points. In the end I really only pay lots of money for taxes, up keep and maintenance for land that can be taken away from me the first time I don't pay or if the government decides it wants it through eminent domain. The up side is though I call the shots about when, who, and how people gain access and as a result I have never felt unsafe.

I've been thinking this year though, that perhaps there should be a thread to link up landowners with other hunters who might be interested in some type of barter arrangement rather than shelling out money they might not have, for the opportunity to have access to excellent hunting ground . Something like for example: "non drug using, law abiding, responsible hunter with carpentry, plumbing, electrician or some other skill, is willing to exchange knowledge, supervision or work on your place - for friendship and access to good hunting property with similar type/compatible landowner."

Just a thought.

Edited by New York Hillbilly

I own and live on my property, the same land I hunt. It took lots of work and saving to get here but t's what i always wanted. Like everything else in life there are good and bad points. In the end I really only pay lots of money for taxes, up keep and maintenance for land that can be taken away from me the first time I don't pay or if the government decides it wants it through eminent domain. The up side is though I call the shots about when, who, and how people gain access and as a result I have never felt unsafe.

I've been thinking this year though, that perhaps there should be a thread to link up landowners with other hunters who might be interested in some type of barter arrangement rather than shelling out money they might not have, for the opportunity to have access to excellent hunting ground . Something like for example: "non drug using, law abiding, responsible hunter with carpentry, plumbing, electrician or some other skill, is willing to exchange knowledge, supervision or work on your place - for friendship and access to good hunting property with similar type/compatible landowner."

Just a thought.

I'm a computer technician and will travel, how good is the hunting? :)

Owning land has to be great I haven't had the luck of owning YET but im young with high hopes and working hard everyday to fill them. I have taken all my deer from state land. Even my profile pic is on state land may not be the biggest deer but he's nice. My best tip for anyone is dont be a follower be a leader.

If I see cars i'll keep driving if I see people i'll keep walking. Most of the people I have ever seen on state land stay very close to their car or truck and sort of just set up anywere. Not sure thats a good idea unless your dead lucky but.. I rather walk deep in the woods to find my funnels or food source's and set up off them.

Good luck.

ditto, i don't find it to be too bad here in NY for state land, this is my first season up here from Florida, and i've shot two doe's and a buck with a couple of other bucks that might meet their maker come saturday on state land... I have only come across one other hunter the whole season back where i go, but im for sure not lazy... ! and don't mind strappin on the hip waders to get back to my spot that NObody cares to go but has great sign back there, and its all mine! but that said for bow season, and i hear gun is crazy up here, but im still confident that there will be no one willing to venture back in that far cause not to harp on gun hunters, but "most" that do not bow hunt as well are lazy and don't put in as much time and effort to get to those outa the way spots, and really research their deer like bow hunters do.... hell in florida opening archery on public land is crazy all the way through gun as well, seems like every five feet there's a truck and then the buggy's are drivin all over the place wherever they please, so I like the change of pace up here and have found a quiet spot with a lot of deer..... GO DEEP OR GO HOME is my motto i've lived by so far until my body doesnt allow it...

You can find good land to own relitively inexpensive depending where you live or are will ing to travel, i have bought land for as little as 300.00$ an acre and as expensive as 1250.00$ i started small and have been able to add on every few years. Its let you do what you want when u want. The timber pays my taxes for up to 5 years at a time, logging selctive every 10 years or so. I personally would stay away from a lease, as unless you can ty it up long term it is tough to mannage, you do all the work for years,food plots,,trail ect. and then its pulled from under you by a higher offer... Best option is to own or find a landowner in the off season and get permission, then go out of the way to help with hay,electric, general work/ maintance around the the property before you hunt, show you appreciate and respect the land owner and you have a place to go for a long time! possible with the option to buy it at some point.

I have lived in both worlds. When I started hunting, we had a small cabin in the adirondacks. 40 acres surrounded by thousands of acres of public access land. Spent many hours there, and had a lot of fun. Well we lost that due to some legal crap with the previous owners. So for 20 plus years, I hunted state land, and was quite successful. But, I always wished for that camp and camaraderie of that atmosphere. I was lucky enough to purchase 250 acres a few years back and put up a camp. I also have exclusive access to 200 bordering my property as long as I help out the elderly gentleman who lives there. By help out, I cut split and stack him 12 cords of wood every year. I also plow his driveway which was not part of the bargain, but hey helping him out is worth it. For me it isnt about not having obnoxious hunters and people ruining my hunt. It is much more about the total experience. Having a close group of friends who come and spend weekends. We eat well we laugh a lot and have a good time. It is also about the opportunities it gives me to get some young hunters out and let them experience it. Now I know I am in the north, and as I have been told, I have no clue about real life, but I pay much less in taxes every year than most of you are paying for a lease. It is 18 miles from my home, and a great place to escape to. From what I am seeing, many people are getting the same idea because land in my area is being bought up for the same reasons I have mine. Yeah, I do not get 3 or 4 doe tags, and can not go out on a slaughter I have an archery tag a muzzleloader tag and my buck tag, but I like owning my own place. At least in my area, there are bargains still. I paid less than 4 grand for all of mine at the county tax sales. Yup it went up for taxes. When the elderly gentleman next door passes away, I have been told I will have first chance to purchase that piece too. That will give me 450 total. My favorite part of owning it though is being able ot give someone an opportunity to come to camp for a weekend, enjoy the good times, and see the sparkle in their eyes when they get a deer.

My 800 acre lease is coming to an end this year. It was a fun 4 years for me and some of the guys in camp have 25+ years there. Now next year I am going back to hunting state land but I will be doing some homework over the summer and looking for new land. I already have a lead on a 50 acre piece in the same area as where the camp was. I would love to own my own someday but only time will tell. Until then I will hunt the land that I already pay taxes for, state land!

Try to find at least 50 acres of land in the best location you can for hunting and whatever you want to do on it and buy it. However you do it buy it and don't look back. It will bring you a great peace and place to your family can call theirs. Look at aerial and tax maps to find the property. Many landowners would sell their land even though trhey don not have it listed. Try to find a parcel at a dead end of a road that is at the end of a large piece of woods. good luck

I can see the appeal of a lease since you're not committed long term if the hunting turns out not to be any good. But, in the five years that I've owned my 20acre piece, I've never been happier and never enjoyed hunting more. The hunting has been decent and I've enjoyed not having the anxiety of not having a definite hunting spot each year. Unless you own a massive piece of land, you can always encounter other hunters, either on private or state land.

Well I am able to say I have all 3. I own, I lease and I hunt state land. Here is how I view the whole situation.

Owning- It has the benefit and pride that comes with it knowing its yours. If I did not use the land for anything else besides hunting I would never do it again. The constant battle of dealing with trespassers, replacing ripped down posted signs, constant tax increases, the level of anxiety and frustration of hearing a gunshot while trying to get something done around the house and having to drop everything and track the down the trespasser abd catch him is daughnting. If it I did not use the land for firewood and a maple syrup business I would not ever own it. The frustration seems twice as high when you actually own the land. It down right drives me crazy.

Leasing- Like Culver we also lease from Cotton Hanlin. Same piece now I think now for 17 years. Yes you battle trespassers but your not alone in solving the issue. You are allowed to pretty much treat it like you would your own land. Aside from not being able to cut live trees and trashing the place. We have a cabin we built on it. Probably wasnt the smartest investment as you really dont own it but incurred the cost to build it. If I was a smarter man I would of parked a nice camper on it but its really worked out rather well the way we chose. Biggest downfall I see of leasing is make Darn sure you are the Main lease holder, there is going to come a time when you are probably going to but heads with another person you went in on the lease with. Choose partners wisely in that regards. Or go it alone on the lease. Cost are basically the lease, plus an additional fee which is rather small for having a cabin and having your own insurance on it. The state land part of this comes in with the lease surrounded by state land. I find I end up spending as much time bow hunting on that as I do the lease. It also opens up alot more areas if your hunting partners hunting with you. I know there are some of you saying Leasing is a waste of money. Well sort of depending how you want to look at it. But lets look at things this way. Buy 100 acres of land, spend 30 years of payments and interest to finally get the note that it says all yours as long as you keep paying those taxes. Not a small investment by any means. AND you are still paying taxes. Yes you can sell it and run around and brag you bought this land for 200K and you sold it 30 years later for 250K and you made money. HMMMMM I dont think so, add up the interest, taxes and improvement cost and then tell me you made money lol. Leasing is like paying taxes without the cost of purchasing the land and if you come onto hard times its an easy out. No bank to foreclose no government ceasing the property for non payment of taxes as well. All things to think about. If I was a hunter looking for just hunting land that I could stick a camper on or small cabin I would not buy, I would lease again in a minute.

Edited by wdswtr