Well partner, I reckon you're probably wrong. I have the same policy toward them as I would have toward any business. I cannot and should not dictate what products any store stocks and sells unless I have some moral objection to it. I can't picture a situation where I would boycott a store based on something it doesn't sell. I don't deal with Dicks that much anyhow. But like any other store, if they have a product I want to buy and they have a good price on it, I'll be in there.

Not every Walmart store sells a full complement of shooting and hunting equipment, and I haven't boycotted them because of it. That's a pretty silly notion.

• Like 2

Well partner, I reckon you're probably wrong. I have the same policy toward them as I would have toward any business. I cannot and should not dictate what products any store stocks and sells unless I have some moral objection to it. I can't picture a situation where I would boycott a store based on something it doesn't sell. I don't deal with Dicks that much anyhow. But like any other store, if they have a product I want to buy and they have a good price on it, I'll be in there.

Not every Walmart store sells a full complement of shooting and hunting equipment, and I haven't boycotted them because of it. That's a pretty silly notion.

Good for you. I bet you will be in the minority here, though.

Weren't you just bashing Gander Mountain for not selling the things you need last week?

Weren't you just bashing Gander Mountain for not selling the things you need last week?

I'm not sure how it relates to what I posted here, but you bet I am damned unhappy to see Gander drop it's reloading products. That left one less semi-convenient place to buy reloading supplies. I don't recall saying anything about boycotting the store because of it. I will say that if Gander continues shrinking their stock of everything that they sell, they risk downsizing to the point where it doesn't make sense for me to drive all the way up there. Maybe that is what you mistakenly thought was a "boycott based on something they don't sell". But I am confused about what the point is that you are making.

And while unlike some others, I am not giddy over the fact that Dick's is yielding to their perception of irrational public pressure to drop sales of modern sporting rifles, I of course will not be boycotting them either. They have a generous supply of all other kinds of outdoor products. And how they have to deal with illogical public reactions is really of no concern to me. They do what they think they have to do (right or wrong).

Well, I don't know about that. Apparently you have made an assumption, and perhaps a very wrong one. So far, I haven't exactly seen a pile of replies from all these people that you think are going to boycott Dick's based on their business decision.

Well, I don't know about that. Apparently you have made an assumption, and perhaps a very wrong one. So far, I haven't exactly seen a pile of replies from all these people that you think are going to boycott Dick's based on their business decision.

Of course it's an assumption. Not like I haven't been around the mindset of many of you for a good many years now to know the thought process, though. Hey, they wanted to burn outdoor writer Jim Zumbo at the stake for making a remark about black rifles a few years back, so I couldn't imagine the same people are now happy with Dick's decision. We shall see how it all pans out.

I won't Boycott Dicks . They are still a great store and I buy most of my hunting supplies there . Galyan's , Dunhams and a few others are gone and Gander Mt is going downhill .

No doubt the "Boycott'ers will be the Minority .

• Like 1

So, Dick's isn't allowed freedom of choice, but if anyone impedes your choices in the slightest way, they are evil? Gotcha.

They are free to conduct business as they see fit. I am free to spend my money with retailers that share my views. I won't choose to spend it there. There is no contradiction in that.

• Like 4

lol .... there is this thing they call cutting of your nose to spite your face.

Having read the article, I didn't see anywhere that Dick's was making any kind of judgement about the modern sporting rifles. They simply recognize that there is a mindless public paranoia at this time and have made what they consider to be a wise business decision .... which is exactly what they are supposed to do. If there had been some kind of negative editorial comment that went along with their decision, perhaps I would take on a different attitude. But I am not expecting any American business to fall on their sword simply to make some political statement. That's not how business is supposed to work. It's when they are trying to make some political statement that I find offensive that I start looking at whether they deserve my business. That's when they are getting into areas that they don't belong in. I don't see that as being the case so far.

• Like 1

I'm going there now for some gift cards,but I don't buy much gun/hunting gear from them anyway. Socks, underwear ya sure. But they don't carry the top quality gear I like in the first place

I'd be surprized if you could find many places with those guns on the shelfs now. They are the most popular rifle and the run on guns shops this past week has been record breaking.

A guy on my crew went to the county clerk last Fri. to add his new Glock, the place was packed, people in deep lines picking up permit app.s

Beikirchs where he went to pick up his new gun had about 100 people there, first time woman buyers 5 deep, guys buying everything, yesterday when i was there ( we were p/u 4 gun safes next door) i gave up and left to many guys crowding the counters .

The lesson here is, buy it cheap and stack it deep, I still have plenty of pre ban mags. and Black Talons back from the Clinton days ....

I'll continue to buy from Dicks. They have good deals sometimes. I don't know how much profit they obtain from weapons, but I,m sure it weighed in their decision..

They make up for the loss with profits from illegal salt blocks and mineral licks,lol

Can someone please explain how an AR style semi-automatic .223 is more dangerous than a traditional semi-automatic "non military style" rifle? To me, all of this assault rifle talk and labeling is being carried out by the media and people that have not a clue about guns. This is like saying that a red car is more dangerous than the same car that is painted blue with racing stripes. Am I missing something???

It is all hype and BS. They know the term assault weapon or assault rifle will stir up the anti gun crowd and now with the latest they hope to have the fence sitters fall in line.

Lats face it. In 2011 there were 12,664 Homicides as reported. Of those 68% (8,611 approx) were firearms related. In the 8,611, 323 have been attributed to rifles and that isn't assault rifles, that is ALL rifles. So by all means keep beating your chests and proclaiming what a better world we would have if only the eveil assault rifles were off the streets.