what I've determined.....

growalot

I may not have hunted as well as I should have this year....I have started my walks again and Seriuosly??!! the deer sign and huge fresh tracks and manure...tells me...I should have done better....lol...Ohh well bigger and better next year...I'll be putting out the winter cams after Christmas and see whats moving...snow by then will give me good idea where to set up...Wood lot work will start in earnest then as well..... tons to do opening up new ground next year so need to get prep done in winter

The deer have really eliminated all the food I planted this year....Loosing all the vegetation in those fields that were turned into corn have them hitting us hard...opening another 1-2 acres..

I'm curious how you determine what better is. I saw the pics of the deer you took... looked like you did well to me. I never understood how anyone could be disappointed with any hunting season... successful or not. Some of my favorite hunting seasons have been ones where I didn't even get a deer... I can't the be only one here that feels this way. I had a great year seeing big bucks, but was just a step behind the eight ball when it came to taking one... but man did I have fun!!! I can't imagine it getting any better than that.

Edited by nyantler

I didn't fill any of my tags this year . Had one shot during bow and one during gun but failed on both . Glad they were clean misses . Saw the arrow go over the bucks back and never touched a hair on the does back with the ML .

I always had good luck in Geneseo in past years . Nothing . Didn't see any hunters on adjacent properties either . I hunted more with 2 of my sons this year than I had done in the past so I had some enjoyment there .

I guess my disappointment is due to the amount of time I spent without bringing home the bacon (errrrr venison ) !

I'm curious how you determine what better is. I saw the pics of the deer you took... looked like you did well to me. I never understood how anyone could be disappointed with any hunting season... successful or not. Some of my favorite hunting seasons have been ones where I didn't even get a deer... I can't the be only one here that feels this way. I had a great year seeing big bucks, but was just a step behind the eight ball when it came to taking one... but man did I have fun!!! I can't imagine it getting any better than that.

I agree with Joe. Although we saw some really nice deer this year we took two small bucks on the same weekend during bow season. Brother hit a real nice 8 but didn't find it. Gun was a bust. The guys thought the year sucked, i thought differently and actually loved seeing all of us almost connect the same bow weekend. I love this sport for what it is, we may finish the venison early this year but it will make us more hungry for next!!!!

Due to problems at home I only got out there opening day of gun (Saturday) and the following Monday . Opening day I had 6 Doe walk in front of me but I had no DMP's for that area (4H) so the freezer is empty . But the two days I did get out there were enjoyable none the less and look forward to next year ! I'm definately going for coyote in the coming weeks !

Not that I didn't have fun...had a great time and proud as punch of the buck I took and of passing so many young ones during archery...but as I said I could have hunted better...considering all the sign I'm seeing now...I do set certain goals here one being ...taking out at least 2 doe and usually 3-4 Depending on the shooting I hear going on around us and how they have hit the food sources here...sightings are always high...Bigger and better...well that would be all the young ones I passed will be bigger and harder to hunt ...so to me better....all the young doe /fawns will be bigger = more meat

Hope I clarified this

I determined that I spent all my time in the wrong place. After watching 7 deer grazing in my front yard in the afternoon, and after doing some version of hop-scotch trying to avoid the deer poop when walking down to the barn, I figured I should have been hunting somewhere in the yard instead of almost a mile up on top of the hill.

I admire your attitude. I thought I had a disappointing hunting season this year, (0 Deer) didn't even get a shot off, but after reading your post, it makes me realize it wasn't so bad after all. I really enjoy just being in the woods. Thank God for the squirrles, they can really be entertaining.

• Like 1

I also learned that my stand was put in wrong place after corn came down. I was lucky to have my blind where i put it because even though i didn't see a deer from it i got a great view of the squirrels and a bird even flew into the blind.

I learn something every time i go out, thats the beauty

Not that I didn't have fun...had a great time and proud as punch of the buck I took and of passing so many young ones during archery...but as I said I could have hunted better...considering all the sign I'm seeing now...I do set certain goals here one being ...taking out at least 2 doe and usually 3-4 Depending on the shooting I hear going on around us and how they have hit the food sources here...sightings are always high...Bigger and better...well that would be all the young ones I passed will be bigger and harder to hunt ...so to me better....all the young doe /fawns will be bigger = more meat

Hope I clarified this

I understand now...

• 2 weeks later...

Deer take this year 0. To say this was a unsuccessful year would be a lie... I probably spent more time in the woods this year than any other year hunting and boy was it fun!!! I think I might post a hunting log for the year as I recorded most of my activity...

Lets see a pic of your deer Grow!!!

I do enjoy being at camp playing cards,we eat like kings and just have a good time,shooting a deer is just an added bonus.

its the second week of deer camp, and all the guys are here, we eat, we drink, we smoke, play cards and never shoot no deer, the only time we leave this place is when we go for beer, its the second week of deer camp and all the guys are here...

LOL