Velvet bucks 2022

Swamp_bucks

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, knehrke said:

This time of year? Well, I know that injury can delay the process, and a buddy of mine shot a 14 point in velvet during November a bunch of years ago. But normal, I'd say no. Not an expert though.

was it a doe with antlers?

On 9/22/2022 at 2:00 PM, Lucky118 said:

Saw a 12 or 14 point last night still full velvet. That normal?

Testicular injuries can create a never out of velvet buck. My cousin shot a 8pt i. Tioga county ny, 7r, with a rifle in November, at 200yards it looked like a giant massy buck to him. It was really only a 100ish inch buck still in full velvet, with no oysters at all. He sent it out to be preserved and then mounted it. Pretty cool.

• Like 1

Testicular injuries can create a never out of velvet buck. My cousin shot a 8pt i. Tioga county ny, 7r, with a rifle in November, at 200yards it looked like a giant massy buck to him. It was really only a 100ish inch buck still in full velvet, with no oysters at all. He sent it out to be preserved and then mounted it. Pretty cool.

Preserving velvet must be a bitch I would think but I have no idea how that would work...any taxidermists on here?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Preserving velvet must be a bitch I would think but I have no idea how that would work...any taxidermists on here?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve heard there are few ways. Freeze dry and some sort of injectable. Pretty common for taxidermists with all the September 1 openers throughout the west and south. The less you touch it the better, but how do you drag? I’ve seem some mounts in person with the velvet hanging off, pretty cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BizCT said:

I’ve heard there are few ways. Freeze dry and some sort of injectable. Pretty common for taxidermists with all the September 1 openers throughout the west and south. The less you touch it the better, but how do you drag? I’ve seem some mounts in person with the velvet hanging off, pretty cool

Best way is to strip it off and then use static electricity  method to apply fake velvet back on..  the injection method was common 10 years ago.  The new fake seems to be the way. Saw my uncle do and elk rack with it. Amazing and you would never know the difference looking at it.. it also allows rack to be officially scored as they cant be scored with velvet on . 

• Like 3

Best way is to strip it off and then use static electricity  method to apply fake velvet back on..  the injection method was common 10 years ago.  The new fake seems to be the way. Saw my uncle do and elk rack with it. Amazing and you would never know the difference looking at it.. it also allows rack to be officially scored as they cant be scored with velvet on . 

I thought P&Y recently added velvet scoring. But maybe I’m thinking of B&C.

I have a caribou pedestal mount with the artificial. Its nice, not exactly like real, but gives a good impression. Its more monochrome, but I think a taxidermist maybe better then the one I used at the time could airbrush in a little more color.

Been durable, geeze I can’t believe that mount is near 20 years old; that was a bunch of hunts ago.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BizCT said:

was it a doe with antlers?

I had this antlered doe running around for a couple of years back in 2008 - 2009. Everybody in my family thought I was crazy thinking this deer was a doe. As fate would have it, I ended up finding this deer just after Xmas. It was a frozen block of ice and hadn't been touched by coyotes. All the deer's plumbing was still intact too (yes, I do have pics to prove it). Possibly my best find to date. Unfortunately, the guy I took the head to did a really crappy job on the euro mount but most of the velvet stayed remained in place.

z646.JPG

z649.JPG

z662.JPG

z671.jpg

• Like 10